Page 1 of 4
Well im in college now, and i have a lot of time on my hands. This is not the first time i have build an instrument, but it is the first guitar. Heres what ive decided on, as in i will take an opinion into consideration. But generally i want this look...

Body: Ash with quilted maple top
Neck: 22 fret maple on maple neck
Hardware: All chrome, possibly with locking tuners or strap locks
Pickups: I HAVE NO IDEA, GIMMIE SOME!!! Are the Fender Texas ones any good? I herd sensors were okay. I want to keep the nostalgic look with a chrome pup up front and a single coil in the rear.
Pick guard: Pearl
Binding: White

I wanted to do like a cool blue body, possibly incorporating the quilted maple in the headstock and making that blue. (The blue I am talking about is a stain). The all chrome hardware should look good on the blue body, and the pearled pick guard should tie it all together. With the quilted maple, it will create light/dark contrasts in the grain which wont make the body too mundane. I wanted a binding, just because I thought it would make it look different. Feel free to "google" any of these color ideas I have. I found quite a few guitars with a nice blue color scheme.

I have the ash cut and put together as well as the quilted maple. Pictures are on the way. I will try to explain each step as thoroughly as i can. I am human, so don't expect too much out of me. If you guys think that i am wasting my time posting pics on UG, i won't. Other then that, i enjoy doing this! Thanks!
Your in college and have spare time?!?!?! hahahaha

What college you going to??

Sounds like you got a good idea of what you want to do with your new git.....but try out maybe some Duncan pickups if you reconsider the old school look
Rocking the free world one step at a time!
Quote by DevilsDance76

Sounds like you got a good idea of what you want to do with your new git.....but try out maybe some Duncan pickups if you reconsider the old school look

Lol a lot of people have free time in college, are you kidding? i go to rutgers, which is a good college, and i also go out about 4 times a week and still have a good amount of time on my hands if i dont procrastinate on my work.

pickups i would go with just about any fender set, besides the noisless ones IMO theyre not too great
Quote by DevilsDance76

Dude, thats the funniest thing ive herd in a while. I go to Mesa in San Diego. Its my first year of college, and i have class twice a week......im expecting it not to be my next "hobby" =(

Ive also been looking around at different bridges, there are like......quite a few. Is any one better or worse then the other? I ebay most of my stuff, so i can try to get whatever. And i could change the pickups around, black would go with the look. I would preferrrrrrrrrrrrr the old school look. I could have a looksy.
So today i grabbed the wood. It turned out great, nice and flat. The templates are cardboard. I made them myself. I walked into a guitar shop and i got one off the shelf, they let me trace it, and vwa-la! My dads friend had an old beater tele that hes letting me use for the final shape. Im going to be using it as a guide line. I bought 4 feet of ash which ran about $30, and the curly maple was $30.

Next will be to sand the quilted maple baby-ass smooth. Then cut the tele shape out of the ash. The guy whos shop i am using had a good idea. Make a perfect tele out of a piece of birch or ply, and use that as a template. By doing that, you can use a router with a very deep bit to cut the entire shape in one shot. You can also use that for later projects. In my case, i have to make two templates. One for the basic shape, and one wih the neck pocket, pup, and electronic cavities. More pics on the way....
Last edited by dogismycopilot at Aug 26, 2007,
Nice maple!
I'll be following this; I love Teles, even though I haven't got one yet (I'll probably make one down the line)
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Well ill keep an eye out on the costs and so forth. Im going to try to do this without spending a boat load. Most of the tools i use are pretty common, and im sure your local high school sop teacher wont mind you using them.
IMO, blue guitars look better with gold hardware. A tortoise shell pickguard would look nice too.
Well since my last post a few hours ago, i did a little bit of work. I did the maple with 80, 120, then i finished it with 220. Im putting it somewhere that wont cause it any harm. I did the ash with only 80, cause im still going to beat it up a little bit when i need to move it around and rout it, etc. I rechecked the thickness of a tele with the overall width of mine. I have to plain off another tenth of an inch off the ash to get to where i need to be. So....tomorrow after school ill head over to the shop and take care of it. I will also try to make the template for the guitar as well as the electronics cavities and the neck.

I was also thinking of not using a pick guard, or using a clear one. But if I dont use one, the neck pickup will have nothing to mount to. I want to show off as much as the grain now, since it turned out to look pretty sweet.

Im no pimp, so i cant use gold hardware, sorry =(
True. I just thought a clear one might kill two birds with one stone; showing off the paint, as well as giving it a guard.
no pickguard please, my friends got a flamed one (red stain) and its sexy.
itle look so much better without the pg. use some spare curley maple on the headstock, its amazing.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by dogismycopilot
Dude, thats the funniest thing ive herd in a while. I go to Mesa in San Diego. Its my first year of college, and i have class twice a week......im expecting it not to be my next "hobby" =(

Ive also been looking around at different bridges, there are like......quite a few. Is any one better or worse then the other? I ebay most of my stuff, so i can try to get whatever. And i could change the pickups around, black would go with the look. I would preferrrrrrrrrrrrr the old school look. I could have a looksy.

Well I guess it depends on the course....I go to Centennial for Film and I'm there from 8am to 10pm sometimes.
Rocking the free world one step at a time!
For sure john. Well i have classes monday and wednesday from 7-335. Thats it. And i was going to use the curly maple on the headstock. Thanks for bringing that up. Anyone know of an alternate way of hiding the wires around the neck pup? I just took the one my dads friend had apart and theres a buncha junk under there, doesnt look too pretty.
Quote by dogismycopilot
i was going to use the curly maple on the headstock. Thanks for bringing that up. Anyone know of an alternate way of hiding the wires around the neck pup? I just took the one my dads friend had apart and theres a buncha junk under there, doesnt look too pretty.

nice about the headstock classic idea.
and hide the wires ? route out the wire cavitys feed your wires through then put your top on
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
why would you want to do that ?
les pauls are like that so it does work.
just make the route alot bigger than the wire so you can pull it out .
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by Calum_Barrow
Nice maple!
I'll be following this; I love Teles, even though I haven't got one yet (I'll probably make one down the line)

Sexylicious, IMHO. And you should either build or buy and mod a Tele.

Quote by admbwr
... just make the route alot bigger than the wire so you can pull it out .

Yep, it'll be a sin to even partially cover that sexylicious maple with a PG. Now I want to get a similar maple top for the PG-less Squier Teles I got on sale. It's Alder and string-through so it should be worth it.

Looking forward to this build.

Cool, thanks for the opinions.

After much deliberation, I have decided on building the neck. Well actually....the guy who is helping me is retired and likes a good "challenge". I think that if i show him whats involved in making a neck he would give it a try. Hes a very skilled woodworker and would give this a shot. My dad thinks that a quilted maple neck, with a separate quilted maple fretboard would look good. I think its the easiest way to get a truss rod in there. I am going to try a double truss, or a neck with two graphite or carbon fiber posts. This is all subject to change.....im just playing with the idea. So, that would mean everything on this guitar EXCEPT the back would be quilted maple. That would certainly be different. I was also thinking of doing birds eye, or curly maple.

Tomorrow i get to work on the template for the basic shape, and we should have the body along with the neck pocket cut out all squared away. Tonight im going to keep my eye on a few items on ebay. Pics are coming tomorrow!
too much quilt, change the fretboard to a rosewood one or something, you can never go wrong with rosewood.
and thats sweet that you've got a 'very skilled woodworker' to help you make a neck.
can wait till you cut out the shape.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Quote by forsaknazrael
Here's that practically secret tutorial they have on StewMac I told ya about:
http://www.stewmac.com/tradesecrets/bridge_body/electric/tsblueguitar/blue_guitar01.html

Wow that did show a lot. Thanks dude. I didnt want to use rosewood because its too mundane. Now that i think of it, im not totally opposed to it. I might consider that. That guy helping me is such a entrepreneur that he would probably make 10 if the first one goes smoothly. We shall see.
So i got caught in a pickle. I kinda stopped work on the body and started in on the neck. I have been reading tutorials online about building necks, and i have come to the conclusion that it is not as impossible as it seems. I bought about $90 worth of the most incredible birds eye i have ever seen. Every square inch of all EIGHT pieces have at least a dozen eyes. See for yourself!

Why did i buy so much maple? Well.....it turns out my dad wants to make his very own tele too. Only his will be made of redwood, it will be a hollow body, and it will have gold hardware. We will come to a compromise on the wood.

The birds eye will be used for the fingerboard, and i will purchase curly maple for the back. I think thats a good contrast and it will be interesting throughout the entire guitar. Daddy-o has a few tools for cutting, slotting, and dropping the frets into the fretboard. Now for how and what im going to do.

The birds eye maple i bought came in an eight foot board (96 inches), four inches wide, one inch think. The fingerboard of a tele, roughly, is 20" or at least thats what i cut it to. 96in/20in=4 nice pieces. I used a table saw to cut the 4 pieces in half, so i have eight pieces that were approx. 1/2 thick. After plaining them and arguing about how to cut the body of the guitar with my fellow com rad, time was up and i was on my way home. For this week, it is going to be working on getting the 12in radius of the fingerboard right, and making a template of the guitar to cut out.

Im waiting for the real work to begin! Im getting anxious.
Well im sorry i have not posted in a while. I promise i will be working on the tele. My dad went crazy on shop tools and bought a plainer, band saw, two routers, a router table, a table sander, coping saw, table saw, and a bench. My plate is so filled with **** right now i have so many things going on. I have bought a ton of curly maple, and MORE birds eye.

Sorry guys, more pix on the way!
Oh, and i was actually thinking of making guitar parts and selling them for CHEAP. My philosophy is that everyone should have some fun with building a guitar, and those who dont have access to certain tools shouldn't have to pay a ****load for the parts. Companies like Warmoth dont impress me.
That would be insane man... Like, would you be able to build a 24" maple Strat style neck with a rosewood fret board?
dont worry at all about making the neck man, its not half as hard as it seems. it defiantely looks like your able to do the job.
Quote by Zex.
That would be insane man... Like, would you be able to build a 24" maple Strat style neck with a rosewood fret board?

Yep, anything. The biggest thing that i need to figure out how to do is to make a jig that will accept a piece of wood (going to be used for the fret board) and shape it to the correct radius of whatever i need. I have an idea in mind, and i want to try it. It would give me a chance to brush up on my welding skills =P
ALRIGHTY, guys and gals. As if it wasnt crazy enough for me this past week with all the project **** going on, i decided to start MY OWN project.....again. I am making a jem777 copy. This is going to be my baby, it is going to have everything I, want. I wont show pics of that, maybe i will, but i will show the finished product.

Here whats going on with the tele. I used the curly maple and laminated some mahogany in the middle. I intended to use this for my jem777 but i realized what i forgot to compensate the thickness for the angled headstock (im not using a trem) . BUT i lucked out, in the fact that since my dad was going to be building a tele with the same neck design as me, i could cut it in half, and use it for that! I got pretty damn lucky.

Here are some pictures of whats going on.

I have yet to cut the template for the body, although i was so jazzed about starting my jem i have already cut that one out. My dad has decided to cut the fretboard slots, and radius the fingerboards, and i will do the template of the tele. So, we do a little divide and conquer. Im going to finish the design of the neck THEN start on the body template.
dude please make a build thread on the jem, not like a new picture everyday and stuff just when theres some significant progress been made.
i really think you should work on them both pretty much at the same time eg.cut out the jem and the tele at the same time, then do both the necks etc.
becuase this tele is so sexy.
not unless your using that quilt on the jem ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
Well ****ing "A" John. Your right i could have. But you have known me long enough to know that i dont pay attention to half the **** ppl give me. And btw, that is a sweet song by Deep Purple.

So with nothing more to do today, i cut out the neck for my build. I am gluing the wings on now and they should be ready to cut out tomorrow. Tomorrow after school i should have the neck DONE! I guess after this neck is finished i will be waiting for my dad to cut and install the frets, as well as radius the fretboard. In the mean time, i will cut the template for the tele, and work on my other project.

Oh, and ill save some pics of the jem and post them on here. admbwr, i hope you like it when it turns out spectacular!
Quote by dogismycopilot
I was also thinking of not using a pick guard, or using a clear one. But if I dont use one, the neck pickup will have nothing to mount to.

Since I don't have the time to read every post at the moment I haven't got a clue whether someone's already said this, but Tele neck pups aren't mounted to the pickguard. At least most of the ones I've seen /played.

Anyways, I'ma follow this. It looks mighty good already.
i like the SD 1/4 pickups a lot, but they're the only aftermarket tele PUs ive tried. they dont have much traditional tele twang, but if you put a phase switch in it brings it all back. really good PUs if you dont just play country and the tele norm
Cool thanks Nate. ill keep that in mind. I actually have a running list of all the pups people have referred me to. I dunno what to chose honestly, i might just flip a coin.

I had some time after din din and i made a rough cut of the tele template. So for tomorrow I will...

Start on the jem777 neck(ill get it to a place where i need to let the glue cure 24hrs)
Finish the tele neck
Finish the tele template (already done the 777)
Start, possibly finish the telecut out of the ash

Now remember, that i will laminate a piece of quilted maple left over from the body and place it on the headstock. So i have some playroom to make the headstock as thick/thin as i want before i laminate it. Heres the pic of the template.

And yes John, that is EXACTLY how it will sound. That sounds bitchin', and i think that you should do some fills when i enter the first chorus. Anyways, call me after 11am tomorrow, i got a class till then.
Alright, Tele's are absolutely gorgeous with a PAF in the neck and a hot single in the bridge, or HH like the old '72 Thinline Tele's. With all chrome hardware/pickup covers and a blue transparent finish, this'll look amazing.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Page 1 of 4