Page 3 of 249
Im guessing you started school somewhat recently?
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by LtdB254
whats 1+1?

Quote by Guitardude19
+1

Chemistry students unite!

Sure.

I barely scraped an A in Chemistry at A level though so imo I'm utterly crap at chemistry.

Seems also that over the Summer I have gradually got stupider because some of this stuff in this thread I should be able to do but either I've got lazy or just forgotten it, but its not fresh anyway.
Quote by Zackie EL
So you can look it up, but we can't? That's not very fair. Plus, if you can tell me what, if any, significance those numbers have, I'll be impressed.

It's a challenge not a question I don't need an answer I only posted for those who may be interested. It's from a book so i will attempt to explain as I understand it (the book actually focus on computing either the whole number of first 10 digits so i hope my explanation will suffice, sorry if it doesn't).

First legions number of the second kind it's a hell of a lot easier if all you need to consider are the last 10 digits. 666!^666!

Consider:
1!=1
2!=2
3!=6
4!=24
5!=120 =1*2*3*4*5
10!=3,62,800 = 1*2*3*4*5*6*7*8*9*10
15!=1,307,....8,000 = 1*2*...*5*...*10*...15 (15=3*5){find a factor of 2 for yourself...}
20!=2,432,......0,000 = you get the idea...

The last 10 digits are 0's due to all the factors of 2 and 5 multiplied together. So obviously if raised to the power of 666! it will contain substantially more 0's.

n!=Y

Doing the calculation n/5 will tell you how many trailing 0's Y will have. (n being a non zero integer etc...)

As for legions number of the first kind without using a computer I know of no way(although I haven't actually started looking yet....). To whoever said about Modular arithmetic yeah that's might be one way although I struggle to see how you could do that without a computer and to be honest I can't be bothered to type out the program Darell plank used.

But they are 0,880,598,016 (copied)

Finally unless you meant biblical relevance (which I really hope is not what you meant..we are the legion for we are many etc..) then no I don't know of the significance of these number save that "philosophers try to know as much as they can about these number. They may hold the keys to all the mysteries of the universe". (again haven't searched)
Last edited by reper1234567 at Aug 26, 2007,
write a formula giving the area of a circle in terms of its circumference

i am going insane
The internet kicks my ass on a regular basis.
Quote by Dunter4
write a formula giving the area of a circle in terms of its circumference

i am going insane

circumferenc= 2*pi*r, so r= circumference/2pi

from area= pi*r^2, we have area= c^2/4*pi
Let's sing.

The square root of nine thousand eight hundred and one bottles of non alcoholic beer on the wall,
the square root of nine thousand eight hundred and one bottles of non alcoholic beer!
You take one down and pass it around,
the square root of nine thousand six hundred and four bottles of non alcoholic beer on the wall!

[/Malcolm in the middle]
Quote by LtdB254
whats 1+1?

i hope someone gets that
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Quote by Guitardude19
Gah.... Making The Science Thread Obsolete are we threadstarter? (see sig)

*looks down at feet in shame*

I didn't use the search bar...

lol oh well this thread still seems to be going alright...
LollipopSkeletonsLollipopSkeletons
LollipopSkeletonsLollipopSkeletons
Quote by cammo_1234
*looks down at feet in shame*

I didn't use the search bar...

lol oh well this thread still seems to be going alright...

Its cool dude.... No one uses the search bar (cause it doesnt work properly)....

And this thread is doing fine!
Quote by mcw00t

i hope someone gets that

Mathematics in base 2 are for little girls.
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
Kill your friend, kill your friend's girlfriend, then kill the person she's cheating on him with. Then rape all three of them, then kill yourself, then rape yourself.

Member of the "I watched The cptncacklefanny Soap Opera" club
HEY GUYS, I need help!

Question: In physiks, its important to use mathematical approximations. demonstrate that for small angles (<20 degrees) tan a = sin a = a = pi x a'/180 degrees, where a is in radians and a' is in degrees. Use a calculator to find the largest angle for which tan a may be approximated by a with an error less than 10%
@ extrafly, the first part of your problem is the small angle theorem, and you can find it on wiki (im too lazy to find it 4 u).

the second part can be solved by setting up an algebraic equation with tan(a)-a/a = .1 and solving for a.
Quote by Dimebag22
This might just be the smartest guy in The Pit. I didn't believe Ethan when he told me there were smart people in The Pit But I was wrong.

yeah, thats me

member 42 of the Iron Maiden are gods club. PM revelations to join
Quote by Mr_BTP
@ extrafly, the first part of your problem is the small angle theorem, and you can find it on wiki (im too lazy to find it 4 u).

the second part can be solved by setting up an algebraic equation with tan(a)-a/a = .1 and solving for a.

holy crap thanks man
Quote by mcw00t

i hope someone gets that

1+1 = 10
1+1+1 = 11
1+1+1+1 = 100
1+1+1+1+1 =101
1+1+1+1+1+1 = 110
1+1+1+1+1+1+1 = 111

simple Binary system I'd say.
Quote by Stukart
1+1 = 10
1+1+1 = 11
1+1+1+1 = 100
1+1+1+1+1 =101
1+1+1+1+1+1 = 110
1+1+1+1+1+1+1 = 111

simple Binary system I'd say.

1001110 1100101 1110010 1100100 0100001

Pwnt in ASCII, the highest level of pwnage that is attainable
I can help a lot with any sort of Electrical Maths, feel free to PM me if you need some help. I figure somebody should make good use of my brain
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Ok, so i'm attempting AS chemistry this year, i haven't done any chemistry in a year since GCSE so i'm just wondering if there are any websites/books that can help me prepare for it? I don't want to be the stupid one in class lol.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
1. If the speed of a car is 60km per hour, how fast is it travelling reckoned in minutes per km? If the car goes faster, does this quantity get bigger or smaller? How are the two quantities related?

^ swear thats easy, but the wording of the question is throwing me off

2. If you could freeze ultrasound wavelength 5mm as it travels though tissue, how many waves would there be in a 1m length? This is called the wave number, how is it related to wavelength?
1. 1 minute/km, as the velocity increases the time for one km goes down. The two are inversely proportional.

2.1000/5 = 200 waves. Not sure on second part.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Cheers man, I can do the hard stuff, but the easy stuff just seems to mess me up.
Thanks anywho!
1. It's going 60km/hr so use dimensional analysis to convert it into km/min. (60km/hr)(1hr/min) = 1 km/min, which is the same thing as 1 min/km, which is what you want.

2. I don't think you need to make use of any formulas in this one. The number of 5mm waves in a 1m space will just be 1m/5mm or 1000/5 = 200 waves.

F*CK my slow typing. I was beaten to it.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
I know the refractive index of water as 1.33 and flint glass as 1.63 but the question goes what is the refractive index for light going from water to flint glass, and then from flint glass to water.

Any tips on how to answer this?
Founder of Jaco society

Each medium has its own refractive index. Are they asking for the transition? If so, I would assume it would be the average of the two.

I don't really get your question.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by sinan90
I know the refractive index of water as 1.33 and flint glass as 1.63 but the question goes what is the refractive index for light going from water to flint glass, and then from flint glass to water.

i cant remember if its a subtraction thing or a division thing, you could prolly wiki it. although i can't be arsed to do it. just try searching for refractive index, and that should hook you up with it.

btw, if ne1 needs help, i am quite qualified to do it. but usually just in math/science. im not very well versed in english or any other languages.

EDIT: PM me if y'all need more help. and who the **** does HW on a friday night?!
Quote by Dimebag22
This might just be the smartest guy in The Pit. I didn't believe Ethan when he told me there were smart people in The Pit But I was wrong.

yeah, thats me

member 42 of the Iron Maiden are gods club. PM revelations to join
Last edited by Mr_BTP at Sep 7, 2007,
Quote by darkstar2466
I don't really get your question.

Neither do I. The first oart of the question is to calculate the absolute the refractive index of flint glass, then the angle of incidence for an angle of refraction of 30 degrees, then the refractive index for light passing from water to flint glass, then the refractive index for light passing from flint glass to water.

Is it to say that the first medium, n=1 then find the other refractive index in relation to the other.
Founder of Jaco society

Your first medium does not have a refractive index of n = 1 though because you start in either water or flint glass, according to that question.

So the best thing I can make out of that problem is to take the ratio of the refractive indexes. For flint glass to water, take 1.63/1.33, and for water to flint glass, take 1.33/1.63.

I don't know. The question is worded badly, so that's the best I could understand from it.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
**** it, I've done it saying one medium has n=1 then found n for the other like that. it's all relative than absolute. Absolute is only on the reference that a vacuum has n=1.
Founder of Jaco society

Heh, that works, but it might or might not be the answer your teacher was looking for. F*cking sh*ttily worded Physics problems.... pisses me off.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by sinan90

air to water is 1.33, air to flint glass is 1.60

water to glass = water to air times air to flint glass is 1.60

=1/1.33 x 1.6
=1.203

glass to water = 1/1.203
=0.83

...I did a similar question today in class, I'm pretty sure it's right unless I made a silly mistake.
We had to calculate the refractive index for flint glass in the question so i know 1.63 is the right answer. How I did it gives me the same answer I'll jsut lose a mark for working out if my methods wrong though.
Founder of Jaco society

Quote by sinan90
We had to calculate the refractive index for flint glass in the question so i know 1.63 is the right answer. How I did it gives me the same answer I'll jsut lose a mark for working out if my methods wrong though.

yeh, there's the silly mistake, I'm sure you can fix it if my methods right..
Yea, bequickorbedead is right with his method. You get the same result with what I told you about taking the ratio of the surfaces. The question makes sense now. F*ck, I needs to brush up on my physics.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
does anyone have the equations which express how much matter there is in the universe and the amount of space in the universe?
Acoustic Percussion Guitar Player
Quote by InvaderTSN
I can only poop during full moons.