I see this fingering alot when I see other guitar players play the E minor chord, instead of the way of using ur middle and ring fingering the chord, I see them just barre the chord with their index finger. In the books they tell you different, so is there really a right and wrong to do chords then?
Isn't that them playing a fifth chord? I don't really know, don't know enough music theory to really comment on it.
I know what you're thinking... You're thinkin' here comes old Gregg, he's a scaly man-fish...

Quote by civildp1
I can't drink tequila anymore. it makes me do terrible things. Terrible naked things.

I play Em with my index or my middle finger on the a and d string. I only use one and it changes depending on where I'm coming from and where I'm going next.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
^^^Like he said, there's no wrong way to finger it, just as long as it sounds as it's supposed to.

You could do that Em chord with your index and pinky finger as long as it sounds right and good. It would just translate into your own personal style if that's how you prefer to do it
Pookie and Dirge are correct; there is no 'wrong' way if it sounds correct. However, there are ways that are more efficient, and ways that may be more comfortable to you. Just go with whatever feels best to you.
so you barre the notes on the A and D strings? that is impossible for me without muting the G string.....
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
well i know sometimes different tunings are the reason you can do that. for example if your in dropped d then you can go
--x
--x
--x

instead of

--x
--x
--x

if you understand what im saying.... the top example would be just barring them and the bottom would actually be fingering them.

but i think this is kinda my own musical theory since i dont really know the chords or understand stuff like that very well so i might have just confused you guys. so i could very well be the one that is confused and making you guys confused as well.
Quote by burrit0
Say your friend was high and doesn't know what he's talking about.
Last edited by ibnz at Aug 26, 2007,
yeah all they are doing is alt tunings, nothing awesome about it, drop d sucks.
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
Quote by Its_Rock77
so you barre the notes on the A and D strings? that is impossible for me without muting the G string.....

Well, you can. That is if you can play it properly by doings so. But, seeing as you can't then you'd be doing it wrong.

It's the same way with me, i mute all the other strings if i try to barre it haha

And yeah ibnz, you're right, cept you could finger the dropped d power chord if you wanted to. May not be the easiest, but if they's how you like to do it than go right ahead.

edit: come on metal inection, dropped d isn't THAT bad
It's just a power chord, that's how I do it too. E5 (power chord) is just made up of the notes E, B, and the E an octave up, though you don't need that one. then you just mute or don't hit the rest of the strings. It's not a full E Minor chord when they do that, it's just the E5

edit: and yea, what everyone said about how you finger a chord depends on what's comfortable to you is right, just do whatever's easiest for you.

and to elaborate on the fifth chords more, they can be used instead of either the minor or major version of the chord cuz the only difference between minor and major chords is the 3rd so a E5 could be used in place of a E or Em chord. they sound different but... hopefully you get what I'm saying.

And if you were just playing an E5, you could finger it like a minor, but mute the g-string, which is the 3rd, so it'd still be E5 because it'd still be made up of the notes E and B
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Aug 26, 2007,
Quote by Its_Rock77

Just use your finger tip. It'll cover both
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
Just use your finger tip. It'll cover both

oh yeah. ive done that before. makes sense.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...