Greetings.

I'm thinking of either getting a Jackson KE3 or a Dean Razorback "Shards".

Which one is better? I know they are both very good Metal guitars, but I want some in depth facts etc, which tremolo system is better, pick-ups etc.

Will be Greatly Appreciated.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
What's the big deal with Gibsons, anyway?
I've heard loads of Gibsons being played before
and they don't sound any more special than
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
im not a nerd on these two guitars but i love how the dean razorback looks.
Avoid the razorback, its over priced for what it is, i definatly recommend the jackson.
if you got the money, go with the razorback
Quote by yawn
It just occurred to me that UG attracts a lot of socially isolated male teenagers with questionable psychological dispositions.

Quote by I'm_Guitarded
Sticks and stones may break my bones, but Whip and Chains Excite Me!!

Got'em!
The Jackson KE3 is slightly more expensive than the Razorback Shards are the store. Since I'm in South Africa it's a bit hard to explain how more expensive coz of the currency difference etc...but er, it's a Boss Metalzone II more expensive than the Dean lol.

So it comes down to which is better hardware wise I guess.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
the razorback is extremely expensive for what it is. If you have the cash for one of those, you should be looking at better, pro quality guitars, etc., unless by some fluke it's actually quite cheap in SA.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by CraigKing
Avoid the razorback, its over priced for what it is, i definatly recommend the jackson.

Exactly, it is Korean made, and it is $1200. My friend got his Razorback new and the Floyd Rose wasn't even set up properly. For $1200 you can get a amazing Carvin Ultra V built for you. If it is down to the Dean and a Jackson, I would choose the Jackson

www.carvin.com
Last edited by Sweeps™ at Aug 26, 2007,
^ the ml i tried was chinese, i think (maybe korean, can't remember). either way for around £700, you can do a lot better. I've played £300 guitars (washburn x50 pro) which i thought were nicer guitars. Obviously personal preference and all that, but for £700 ($1400, or whatever it is in SA Rand) you can doubtless do much better. Yeah, alright, it'll not have the fancy shape, but it'll be a much nicer guitar.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the razorback is extremely expensive for what it is. If you have the cash for one of those, you should be looking at better, pro quality guitars, etc., unless by some fluke it's actually quite cheap in SA.

I'm not sure, coz in SA things are usually more expensive lol, but this is the Dean I'm talking about:

http://www.deanguitars.com/razorback_series_shards.htm

Maybe you are confusing it with a more expensive, pro-DEan guitar?

Coz this one is going for R12 000 which is 1,656.57 USD
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Sorry, i was quick to post, good points and Bad.

Jackson:

Pro:

Fair ammount cheaper
Better pickups
JT580 LP Double Locking 2-Point Tremolo. (Jackson trem better than the Licenced on the dean)
Marty Friedman used Jackson Kellys.

Cons:
The Bodys Alder, not a mahogony or more "tone'd" wood. not nessecerily a bad point though.
Bolt on neck

Dean:

Pros:
Mahogany body
Set mahogany neck
Dimebag traction knobs (Though, not that special)
It IS a nice looking "metal" guitar

Cons:
Pickups we're never used by dime, or atleast, rarely.
Floyd Rose licensed locking trem
Is rather expencive for what it is, it has the name "Dime" on it, eh.

Hope that helps better
Ok then for $1 500 - $1 700 is there a better Metal guitar I could get besides the Ke3 and Razorback??

I always thought Jackson made the best Metal guitars...

Both the guitars have Seymour Duncan pick-ups I think, and I heard somewhere that EMG pickups and better for Metal.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
Last edited by Eternal_One at Aug 26, 2007,
eh, i wouldn't say anyone makes the "best" metal guitars, it depends which you prefer. once you hit a certain quality, it's mainly preference.

I wouldn't say alder is a bad tone wood... i actually really like it, it's nice and tight (though some of that could doubtless be that a lot of the time it's coupled with a maple bolt-on neck).

I'm not too sure about the prices in SA, but i know that in the states, heck even in the UK, you could get a much nicer guitar than either of those for $1600... you aren't far off an ESP MII, i know thomann does them for a little over £900 ($1800). I know in Japan you can get Caparisons for that type of money, they're pretty nice. Not too sure about SA, of course, and here in the UK they try to charge double that o_O

Jackson SL3 would be nicer than the ke3, nicer trem, neck-thru (that's not necessarily a bonus, but those jackson pros have horrible bulky neck joints IMO).

Ibanez rga121 or rg1570.

plenty of options. Problem is at your price range, you can get a pro guitar, but odds are it'll be a "normal" shape. but i'd rather have a good guitar which looked like a strat, than a sub-par one which is more expensive because of the shape, or some meaningless endorsement.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Shape is meaningless to me unless it's like reallllly ugly like the new Reverse Flying V Gibson released *pukes*.

Jeff Hanneman uses a strat-like shaped Jackson, the Soloist I believe. I don't mind it, looks pretty old school too, but just the sound and feel is important to me. I only gave Dean some interest because Mustaine moved from Jackson to Dean, so I thought it was coz of Superior Quality on the Dean side of things.

I'll check up on that ESP MII and Jackson SL3. But For example, I know the KE2, which has a proper official Floyd Rose system, goes for like R25 000 which is like double what the KE3 would cost me here.
Proud Owner of:

Jackson RR3
Jackson WRMG

Quote by madbasslover
any other guitar.

^UG's King Of Fail.
^ i think jeff hannemann has a signature ESP.

But yeah, probably the US jacksons are too dear. I know in the US you wouldn't be too far off with $1600, but most other places, not really. here it's around $3000.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?