Well I've been trying to learn a few REM songs, but i have a problem. The sound from when i play the higher pitched strings come out way too over pitched, and makes it sound horrible.

Any ideas?
Sounds like your intonation is off.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by DeathBySpoon
Well I've been trying to learn a few REM songs, but i have a problem. The sound from when i play the higher pitched strings come out way too over pitched, and makes it sound horrible.

Any ideas?

Are you learning the song by ear or using tabs...are you in tune with the song?.

What song are you trying to learn.

Tabs are not always right...some are tabbed wrong even in books some tab is way off.
Go to this page to hear my original song recordings

Click Here
Vincents got it spot on...But if you're sure the Tab is right and your tunings fine as well but even so the sound is off, then check the bridge on ur guitar (im assuming ur using an electric) Now it depends on whether its sounding sharp..or flat...grab a screwdriver...and adjust the position of those little things u see attatched to the springs on ur bridge...where ur strings are holstered. If its sharp move them up , its its flat move it down...and then adjust the sound...it usually happens when u go tiwards the higher frets...sooo yea thats what i can think of o.O
intonation is the difference between what a perfect note is and what an actual note is. If you hook up your guitar to a tuner, and tune your 6th string perfectly to E, then when you play the 1st fret, the note should be perfectly F and so on for every string and fret. However this is not completely possible due to any manufacturing defects(fret positions are not going to be 100% perfect).

The best way to check intonation is to tune your guitar to standard perfectly, then hit the 12th fret harmonic on a string and then play the open string. If they match up exactly on the tuner, then your intonation for that string is good, otherwise adjust the saddles accordingly (post what kind of bridge your guitar has or look up intonation for that kind of bridge). Repeat this for each string.

However, I doubt your intonation is this screwed up that it would sound much higher. Just try moving the notes up or down a fret each to see if the tab is slightly wrong.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
...which goes to what i was gonna say, which is that it might be your tone and you should roll off the tone knob a bit or dial down the highs. i have to leave my tone knob around 8 cuz the harmonics are kinda piercing to my ears (REALLY sensitive to high pitches) if it's on 10.