Page 1 of 6
so for me school starts tomorow... and texas has passed 2 laws for the new school year

1. Every student MUST say the pledge of allegiance of texas, and USA
2. God is now an acceptable thing in school

the first one makes me uncomfortable, becuz im from ireland, and i moved to new york...so i disagree with the texas pledge, maybe ill do the usa one... but i dont believe in our government so idk...
oh yeah...and its like forcing someone to say "I love you" with a gun to their head...

the second one makes me uncomfortable, becuz now there might be religion wars goin on and ****...and im agnostic... so ill pretty much be alone there
pringles was originally going to be a tennis ball company

having a penis is like having a friend who always wants to play
Quote by JFJH
stupid laws........

good to see there are very opinionated people here....

Quote by jacksonassassin
so for me school starts tomorow... and texas has passed 2 laws for the new school year

2. God is now an acceptable thing in school

the first one makes me uncomfortable, becuz im from ireland, and i moved to new york...so i disagree with the texas pledge, maybe ill do the usa one... but i dont believe in our government so idk...
oh yeah...and its like forcing someone to say "I love you" with a gun to their head...

the second one makes me uncomfortable, becuz now there might be religion wars goin on and ****...and im agnostic... so ill pretty much be alone there

Im no expert on the US but isnt there something in the constitution that says "The church and state are seperate entities"?

Therefore, god cannot be an acceptable entity in a state school because it is a state funded school?
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Well,

God is an acceptable thing, that doesn't mean you have to participate in it.
Riding bikes is acceptable but I don't do it...see?
The first one is crap. The second is ok, as long as being agnostic/atheist or of a different religion than Christianity is also 'acceptable'.
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
Wow, that kind of takes away the whole "freedom of speech" thing, doesn't it?

yes it does, but constitutional rights dont matter here...everyones too stupid to know that they even have them

havent you seen the texas man who said "freedom of speach is alright, just not in public"... i pity this entire damn state

Well I'm from Portugal so I can't really judge the system in Texas, but until 1974 we had a fascist government and they forced people the do the same (we were actually a little worse, prayer in school was mandatory).
Quote by jacksonassassin

That's such bull****. I'd be pissed off.Free speech my ass.
no im from new york... like i moved from ireland to ny... then from ny to texas

I don't say the pledge (but I'm in Georgia). To me, saying the US Pledge of Allegiance is retarded, because of the "Under God" line. If someone doesn't believe in God, and they are forced to say it, not only is freedom of speech taken away, but so is freedom of religion.
Quote by Omni-Ragnarok
Well I'm from Portugal so I can't really judge the system in Texas, but until 1974 we had a fascist government and they forced people the do the same (we were actually a little worse, prayer in school was mandatory).

prayer is not mandatory...but its allowed now... and ive heard talk about not interupting kids during their prayers, with homework and such not... which would make the law even worse

come on, just say it if you dont believe in it then...dont

it doesnt really mtter much
wait what? i dont even think that thats constitutional? that you HAVE to do that...

in fact last year (I live in GA, and we dont HAVE to join in the pledge of allegiance) i didnt stand up and the teacher got all pissed off at me and sent me to the administrator, i then presented my case and got off, ignorant teachers >=( in fact i think in california they CANT say it, that or they took the "under god" part out

also reminds me of that story of that kid in alaska who held that little mini protest with the whoel "bong hits for jesus" thing, i respect people like that, there assholes but they have a point behind what theyre doing
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
i think its bull**** when they say god and prayer cant be in the schools (something that this country was founded on) yet we must allow other cultures and religions to be performed freely, kinda a double standard if you ask me, a backwards one at that. so i'm all for it!
Quote by Guitardude19
Im no expert on the US but isnt there something in the constitution that says "The church and state are seperate entities"?

Therefore, god cannot be an acceptable entity in a state school because it is a state funded school?

im pretty sure u dont need to be an expert to know that mate
but yes... i agree completly
and i think that i might be judged differently becuz of my religious views... im in the bible belt... i feel like teachers might see me differently, and think of me less... rather than judging on my character and brains...

They can't actually make you say the Pledge of Allegiance can they? That's ridiculous. That's sounds dictatorish doesn't it? You're in a country where freedoms are everywhere and yet you're forced by law-- BLOODY LAW-- to say a few lines of words that means absolutely nothing to most people. That's ridiculous. I say stag ea sit-in or something. There has to be some kind of constitutional thing where you can't be forced to say something. I dunno what's it called Freedom of Speech or something?
You must be the only Agnostic person in Texas. I went there once and everyone is super christian. You may be more alone than you think.
Quote by Tw1zzler
come on, just say it if you dont believe in it then...dont

it doesnt really mtter much

its people like you who just go with the flow and eventually they'll be phone tapping publicly and ull be like
well... its all cool... just dont say the word bomb on the phone

And what happens if you don't do the first one, and you are able to explain a good reason?
Just go in every day saying "One Nation Under Satan" instead. If they do anything then bring up that making God acceptable and Satan unnacceptable is a violation of your freedom of religion.

I'm serious, man. You could make big money suing those bible-beating dickheads.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
They can't actually make you say the Pledge of Allegiance can they? That's ridiculous. That's sounds dictatorish doesn't it? You're in a country where freedoms are everywhere and yet you're forced by law-- BLOODY LAW-- to say a few lines of words that means absolutely nothing to most people. That's ridiculous. I say stag ea sit-in or something. There has to be some kind of constitutional thing where you can't be forced to say something. I dunno what's it called Freedom of Speech or something?

no you dont have to, like weve said its unconstitutional (seems liek that words popping up to much lately lol) especially if you're in a public school system
Quote by alecoholic
You must be the only Agnostic person in Texas. I went there once and everyone is super christian. You may be more alone than you think.

actually i have a few mates who believe the same thing as me

im smack dab in the bible belt... i know im ****ed dude... lol

Quote by Surfer Rosa
That's such bull****. I'd be pissed off.Free speech my ass.

Free speech is very limited.

For example, a woman sued a man for cursing around her young children after she asked him not to. The case was so disputed that it went to the Supreme Court (im not making this up, i learned it in US History 1). They gave their verdict that the woman was correct and blah blah blah. Basically, there is no real "Freedom of Speech" is what im poking at here.
Quote by Jokaaa
And what happens if you don't do the first one, and you are able to explain a good reason?

no dude
im in TEXAS
everyone here is an ignorant asshole
you dont understand
theres no "good reason"
they'll just call me a satan worshiper or **** like that...

Quote by Guitardude19

We're talking about Texas here, the constitution was invalidated in texas a long time ago.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
lol
they traet you as if you were just going to become a terrorist...I totally disagree with the USA in that way... but who am I to say that?^^

LW
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.

UG's only Belgian Prog Rock band member
Here's my Equipboard: http://equipboard.com/wdsuita
Quote by SkyValley
Just go in every day saying "One Nation Under Satan" instead. If they do anything then bring up that making God acceptable and Satan unnacceptable is a violation of your freedom of religion.

I'm serious, man. You could make big money suing those bible-beating dickheads.

maybe ill try that... see how much i can get... quit my job... live off that for a while... haha

Quote by deathbyawesome
We're talking about Texas here, the constitution was invalidated in texas a long time ago.

see someone else here understands how ****ed this place is

Quote by jacksonassassin
good to see there are very opinionated people here....

hes right, they are stupid laws. imo religion shud be left out of skools, it has NO place there!! you wanna preach, u got the whole day after skool to do it, knock urself out. if its ur religion to preac durin the hours skool ar on, then go to a skool specifically for your religion.

im from ireland, and would never take any of these pledges if i was in that skool , this guy is irish, he shudnt have to do this kinda thing. hes not an american citizen!
member number 14 of the UG John frusciante fan club

Founder of the 'the John Frusciante ****ing sucks!Club!" sucks, club!
The constitution does say seperation of church and state but hello folks, if you havent realized it already our entire country and Government was founded by believe who were religious followers. Read between the lines, there will never be a true seperation of church and state as long as the constitution remains intact. They are just asking you to say something, not believe in it. If you are agnostic, thats fine, just say the stuff and go on with your day. No sweat, they are just asking you to say it. Dont make a big deal over it because we all have to do things that require going through the motions everyday, even though we dont mean. But making a big deal over it only creates disruption.

PS. If you dont like the way our country works as a whole, i agree with you on that, this country needs a bitch slap in the face and a wake up call, but you dont like texas? Come on! The best state out there for criminals.....hahahaha
Seriously, get over it. So you have to say a few meaningless words every morning? Ignore it and get on with your life, it's no big deal.
God has always been acceptable in school. Teachers just can't try to influence what you believe [or don't believe]. They can talk about it, as long as they don't say something like, 'You're going to hell if you don't believe in God.' or anything along those lines.

That first one I would have a problem with. That interferes with the freedom of speech that is in the first amendment. Freedom of speech also includes things you don't want to say. The entire second semester of last year, I sat down during the pledge. I stand up now, because it's respectful and all, but I still don't say it, and if they tried to make me, I would sit down, just to be a hassle.

EDIT: It's not like the Constitution matter much now anyways since the Patriot Act. Bush might as well have just cut it into pieces and burned it.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Where did you hear about these laws?
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Quote by jacksonassassin
no dude
im in TEXAS
everyone here is an ignorant asshole
you dont understand
theres no "good reason"
they'll just call me a satan worshiper or **** like that...

*cough*GEORGEBUSH*cough*
Quote by jazz_rock_feel

Freedom of Speech? Is that a Canadian thing or something?
Quote by Whatley2212
Seriously, get over it. So you have to say a few meaningless words every morning? Ignore it and get on with your life, it's no big deal.

a few meaningless words?????
dude
first off
it goes against everything i stand for
everything i believe in

im not even from this ****ing state, or country for that matter.