ok looking at getting a EHX big muff. theres the regular one and the little big muff. now im wondering are they the same pedals (wiring and tone) in different casings? im just asking cause the little big muff is cheaper and if it sounds the same, why not get the little big muff and save some money too?

thanks

The Little Big Muff is like a watered down version of the Big Muff. The Big Muff's pretty cheap anyway, so why not just get one?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
There are some differences in sound between them. I personally love the "normal" Big Muff not the Little one.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio 2005
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EHX Q-Tron +
Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler
Fender CD60 Acoustic
John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub.
There's also the Russian Big Muff.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Yeah, think of the Little Muff as an annoying younger sister.

Quote by R_H_C_P

And from what I've heard, it's better than both of them.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
there are differences

USA Big Muff is a richer tone
Little Big Muff is a less thick tone
Sovtek Big Muff is a darker tone
SMALL CLONE of the EHX User's Guild

Quote by Ishiga
NOSOUPFORYOU.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
this is barely a question. only an idiot would buy a zune.
Quote by R_H_C_P

Which is teh sex. Deffinately the best ones.

As we see from this site, the best things come from Russia.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
I love my Russian Muff, sounds much better with a boost though, cuts through better that way.
Don't be afraid to care"

I'm definitely goin' with the russian big muff as my next fuzz. From what I've heard it is a lot darker and to me sounds fuzzier. It does suck that it isn't true bypass though...
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
so what would you reccomend for alt and classic rock (think john frusciante/mars volta/ hendrix) usa or russian?

Well Fru used the Russian on Californication, Omar uses Fuzz Face's I believe, and Muff's don't really do Hendrix well. I'd try them both out if I were you.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

Member of the EHX Guild
I like my Little Big Muff. Idk but it sounds much more "vintage" than the american reissue to me. It is also true bypass (which is really nice) and smaller and cheaper. Its really a matter of personal preference.
Fender MIM Stratocaster
Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer
Fulltone OCD
Dallas-Arbiter Wah Baby
Home-Built Germanium Fuzz Face
MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
2 Fender Blues Juniors
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
so what would you reccomend for alt and classic rock (think john frusciante/mars volta/ hendrix) usa or russian?

try a russian muff boosted by a DS-2
MIM-v-MIA:
Quote by OneRust
The mexican one is made by mexicans in mexico, the american one is made by mexicans in california

Fender Stratocaster
Crafter D-8 Acoustic
ProTek 80w PA System
Marshall TSL602 Combo
Fender Mini Tweed Twin-Amp
Boss DS-2
Boss CH-1
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
well which out of all of them is true bypass, id go with that one

yeah i agree but any pedal can be modified to do that
MIM-v-MIA:
Quote by OneRust
The mexican one is made by mexicans in mexico, the american one is made by mexicans in california

Fender Stratocaster
Crafter D-8 Acoustic
ProTek 80w PA System
Marshall TSL602 Combo
Fender Mini Tweed Twin-Amp
Boss DS-2
Boss CH-1
Russian. Most deffinately imo...I can get a variety of sounds...including hendrix.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
You can't get a Hendrix sound from it, you can try, you can get fuzzy sounds, but not that close to Hendrix.
Super-fantastic for Fru stuff though.
Don't be afraid to care"

thats pretty much what im using it for. ill try em all out and pick from there. seems like the smartest thing to do at this point seeign as everyone has different opinions
i have a double muff, not as thick as the big muff unless you combine it with an amps overdrive, and has a wide variety of tones, I absolutely love it, and it's my go to for distortion
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
the USA muff sounds the best IMO, used to own one, got it after testing side by side the other 2 muffs. sold it cus im a fuzz face/tonebender guy. the LBM is a little weak sounding IMO, and not as edgy as the US muff. russian muff's smoother with more low end oomph, not as gritty as the US muff, but the US muff could get almost as smooth as the russian with a little volume and tone knob riding.

there are muff clones out there which are better though, DAM and skreddy for example.
I had a Double Muff sold it and bought an USA Muff... all I can say to you is the USA one is great.... has more variety of sounds then Double... the Double is just....poor... I don't know but I don't like it.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio 2005
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EHX Q-Tron +
Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler
Fender CD60 Acoustic
John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub.
The only diffrence between the Little vs the Normal was that the little had a big jump in gain when you turn it slightly above zero. While the normal had more consistent gain change as you turn the knob.

Overall they cost and sound pretty much the same.
i prefer the USA muff overall but when you have the sustain turned down on the russian you get an awesome distortion tone which you can't get as well with the USA muff.
i prefer the USA muff overall but when you have the sustain turned down on the russian you get an awesome distortion tone which you can't get as well with the USA muff.

Yes this is whats annoying with the USA ones.

But I can fix it just by putting an overdrive pedal before it on the chain. But it doesnt sound like fuzz anymore just straight up distortion.
to be honest, even tho the russian may sound great, the USA will sound more like frusciante considering its the one he used up until very recently (exluding pre and during californication, in which i guess he used the russian and a boss fuzz)
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat