Well, try listening to some math rock if you want to learn other time signatures. Like Battles. They're pretty good.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Epiphone Studio 10 amp
Line 6 PodXT - Should've got the PodXT live
Click for charity.
Try Octavarium by Dream Theater, the middle bit is mad! i think it is part 4 or 5 u can find the Power Tab on this site
I love my keyboardist, he's hot.

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

The Llama Forum Bagel Group
Quote by seljer
6/4 really isn't that strange
its like like two bars of 3/4 put together

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musical_works_in_unusual_time_signatures

I didn't say it is strange, and I know what it is, but most of the music I listen to doesn't stray from 4/4 or 3/4. Besides, I've always found it difficult to distinguish by ear whether a songs in 3/4 or 6/8

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll check them out
o, yes, add dream theater to mine too^^

Opeth is one of those too

Lw
I fell asleep on my arm once, scariest thing that ever happened to me. I thought it was kill.

UG's only Belgian Prog Rock band member
Here's my Equipboard: http://equipboard.com/wdsuita
Quote by Steve The Plank
I didn't say it is strange, and I know what it is, but most of the music I listen to doesn't stray from 4/4 or 3/4. Besides, I've always found it difficult to distinguish by ear whether a songs in 3/4 or 6/8

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll check them out

3/4 and 6/8 should be pretty obvious

6/8 is only 2 beats (think of it as 2/4 but with triplets)
3/4 is three beats
of course, when you look at them from afar they're the same length, and people have made use of this -> fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wv">fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wv">http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=america+west+side+story&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GBfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wv is probably the famous example

you could mix up 9/8 though, but still, its not that hard to spot a compound metre (each beat is divided into 3 parts instead of 2)
Last edited by seljer at Aug 26, 2007,
The Halloween theme song is in 5/4 time.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
Quote by seljer
3/4 and 6/8 should be pretty obvious

6/8 is only 2 beats (think of it as 2/4 but with triplets)
3/4 is three beats

you could mix up 9/8 though, but still, its not that hard to spot a compound metre (each beat is divided into 3 parts instead of 2)

Oh, haha, I made a typo, I meant to write that I've always found it difficult to distinguish between 6/8 and 2/4, my bad.
definately try some dream theater or liquid tension experiment.
Check out my guitar quartet composition The Lone Wolf and you will be rewarded! With a live wolf!

Are you a PROG-HEAD? I am.

Quote by Led Pepplin
I'm adding you to my list of most hated UGers.

Quote by hurricanes67
isnt money in 6/8?

7/4 with a bit of a swing to it (some people say its 21/8 because of this)
probably the most famous example of 7/4 ever
Take Five (Dave Brubeck(?) Quartet) is in 5/4. (Unsurprisingly.) Lots of fusion and prog styles use odd time. A fair amount of blues is in 12/8 which is essentially the same as 2 bars of 6/8. I think jigs/gigues are in 6/8.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
John Petrucci's Glasgow Kiss is mainly in 12/8, but there's a section in 9/8 that's quite easy. I'm not saying you should skip the 12/8 parts, but the 9/8 time signature has a much more "special" feel to it.

Besides, I suggest you listen to some Frank Zappa, not only because he's awesome, but because he used a lot of odd time signatures.
One two, one two three, one - two - three - four...

edit: i kinda got this thread mixed up with the other "time signatures" thread. Guess my suggestions weren't really 6/8 or 5/4...
Last edited by kyrreca at Aug 26, 2007,
Try learning the jazz standard "Take Five" for something in 5/4.

6/8 is a really easy one, it's really pretty much the same as 3/4.
Dream Theater's Beyond This Life is in 5/4. Almost every Coheed & Cambria song is in 6/8.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build