I have a Peavey PV6 Mixer that has outputs on the back for tape, CD, or a PC sound card, so I was wondering, would Guitar>Amp>Mic>Mixer>PC/Audacity work if I got a decent sound card with the inputs for it? Or would it be more safe to get a USB interface?

Also, I'm looking to get this soundcard.

Thanks for the help.
The Walking Dead
Last edited by thelonelywaffle at Aug 26, 2007,
What are your computer specs? Because if they are not kinda high you will get latency issues and things will be out of phase. Anyway, The Audiophile is a good card, but I personally would prefer a USB, or better yet a Firewire interface. Just my two cents.
Quote by Loki2025
What are your computer specs? Because if they are not kinda high you will get latency issues and things will be out of phase. Anyway, The Audiophile is a good card, but I personally would prefer a USB, or better yet a Firewire interface. Just my two cents.

Well the computer I'm on right now is an old hp 522n Celeron processor and XP, we also have a Dell Laptop w/ Pentium 4, but I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to use the laptop. What's the price difference between the Audiophile and the Firewire?
The Walking Dead
unless you wanna buy an interface go with the audiophile, but there are some interfaces that are decent for low prices. Check out different sites, and if i were you i would max out what ever my budget was, because there is no substitution for quality gear. are you looking to get into recording, or just for your self? just curious
Quote by Loki2025
unless you wanna buy an interface go with the audiophile, but there are some interfaces that are decent for low prices. Check out different sites, and if i were you i would max out what ever my budget was, because there is no substitution for quality gear. are you looking to get into recording, or just for your self? just curious

Right now I just want to record covers and songs me and my friend write, but in the future, I do plan on having a career with recording. Thanks for the help though.

So how do USB interfaces work and what's the advantages that it has over getting a sound card and recording through a mixer?
The Walking Dead
Last edited by thelonelywaffle at Aug 26, 2007,
ok, im in college learning to be an audio engineer so i was curious, but if you are looking to get into that in the future, why not start now, most USB interfaces already have an A/D converter built on them, and if you get something like a PreSonus Firepod it has 8 XLR/TRS inputs and outputs, and a firewire out to run to your computer, the cost is a lot more than the audiophile card but in the long run is better and pick up a good sound card like the Creative X-Fi, in the long run man everything will turn out much better and you would have already collected some gear, work on collecting what they call the simplest recording system, which would be Transducer, Pre amp, medium, power amp, transduce. which tansfers to your mics, pre amps (such as the firepod), your recording program, what ever poweramp you get, and speakers. but if i were you i would start now on getting gear together, my humble opinion, you can pm me with questions or pm me and i will give you my email for questions and such