Page 1 of 3
I've always wondered why hair metal is so despised. I like hair metal and can't find any fault with the music (ok ill admit they look ridiculous but still). But almost no hair metal bands (with the exception of Guns N Roses [who arnt really hair metal] and possibly motley crue) get any respect. They can play their instruments well, the songs are catchy, and the singers can sing pretty well.

So why is it hated so much, especially by guitarists? Discuss.

Sorry if this has been done before, but I really wanted to know this.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
Because hair metal guitarists get more hole than other guitarists, and we're all jealous?
It all sounds the same, and is based on appearance instead of musical talent.

Z-Edit: Look at it this way.

To have a successful hair metal band, all you needed were 4-5 good looking guys who could play instruments and sing. Smother them with makeup, tease their hair, and have them write a power ballad.

Instant success.
Last edited by Rockford_rocks at Aug 26, 2007,
It is hated because it was so poppy and glammy, and put more emphisis on getting money and girls and looking good than actually playing music.
The.
i hate power and hair metal (i know it's not the same, leave me alone). i hate the faggy way the singers sing, the faggy way they dress, and the songs that all rely more or less on the same structure.

deeper voices, please.
i love hair metal
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Hair metal can be cool. Just look at early Pantera. As homosexual as they may have looked, they still knew how to write some catchy, yet still ****ing hard to play songs.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

Hair metal all sounds the same. That's the reason. And they're all about the same subjects: partying, screwing chicks, having fun, driving around in LA, and doing drugs.

Plus, the guitarists are good, but the only good part of the song is the solo. The rest of it is craptastic. For example, Vito Bratta is a crazy-ass guitarist, but White Lion sucks ass.
Cause HAIR-metal was more about the looks (HAIR) in staid of the music
like I said in my original post, if one overlooks the appearance, the guys can play! Listen to Nitro or Extreme for an example of incredobly musical talent. And every hair metal band I know can play well, especially guitar wise.

and yeah it was more about the look (not In my opinion but it can be argued) then the music, but why do people hold this against the music in general? Its catchy and what Rock should be. Ill admit it became a cliche, but only because there were so many hair metal bands. However this happens in every scene, just look at emo and indie today, or Nu-Metal and Grunge before that. The quantity of bands (often mediocre) doesnt devalue the quality of the good/original bands.
Quote by Rockstar12345
Last edited by Mechanixx at Aug 26, 2007,
everyone who ever played hair metal has had sex with pam anderson

OH SNAP, SON!

Jack my swag
Last edited by gopherthegreat at Aug 26, 2007,
Quote by IHATECHILDREN
It is hated because it was so poppy and glammy, and put more emphisis on getting money and girls and looking good than actually playing music.

exactly, and thats why alternative and grunge lit their zippos when they were spraying hair spray and burned them all.
Quote by Holy Katana
Hair metal all sounds the same. That's the reason. And they're all about the same subjects: partying, screwing chicks, having fun, driving around in LA, and doing drugs.

Plus, the guitarists are good, but the only good part of the song is the solo. The rest of it is craptastic. For example, Vito Bratta is a crazy-ass guitarist, but White Lion sucks ass.

Haha sounds like todays RAP...
Quote by duncang
They probably think about it just as much, they just don't admit it.

Having sexual thoughts is like farting, we all do it, it's just that girls never let anyone else know about it.
I love hair metal, but it got stagnant(sp?)
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Motley Crue started it all off, and did their thing better than any of the others (and were sorta responsible for Ozzy Osbourne making his come-back, so that earns em kudos). I love the sound of it all itself, but there's only so many hair explosions & guys with crotches FAR too visible for decency. that everyone can take. It's like the British glam in the early 70's & then punk - Sweet as a band sound good, but when you look at the photos, you can see why the next step happened at the same time - Jesus .
Or, to sum up the whole of my answer into 3 words - "Thrash, then Grunge".
EDIT: Hair Metal was just damn silly fun, that's why I like it so. If anybody can take Twisted Sister seriously, best of luck to you in the Asylums, pal
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
They're probably hated because there was 100's of them and for the most part they sound the same.
Order & Justice
Order Restored, Justice Served
Quote by CoreysMonster
i hate power and hair metal (i know it's not the same, leave me alone). i hate the faggy way the singers sing, the faggy way they dress, and the songs that all rely more or less on the same structure.

deeper voices, please.

Homophob?
its 1:56 am and i just ate 6 chocolate chip cookies in not even near as many minutes
Quote by CoreysMonster

deeper voices, please.

*cough*homophobe*cough*
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Insincerity, glorifying things like promiscuous sex, and drugs, ridiculous look, and virtually no diversity when it comes to the music. There are many reason why I hate hair metal...
Quote by CoreysMonster

deeper voices, please.

So you think Hair metal is faggy but you want to hear more deep manly voices?
staying on topic, noone has yet given me a valid argument why the looks should detract from the music. I mean pleease grunge bands didnt look cool, indie bands dont look cool, Nu-Metal bands didnt look cool, so why is it hair metal where the music is hated because of the look. And as said before, sure the scene was choked and stagnant, but this happens to every scene in music (look at indie in britain today, or emo) but I cant think of any other scene ('cept possibly Nu-Metal) which is disliked throughout because of it. Nowhere else but in Hair Metal do the good artists get devalued because of the number of crapper ones.
Quote by Rockstar12345
hair metal is not hated. Technically, every genre in the world is hated by someone.
You will be surprised, there are tons of ppl out there that love 80s hair metal.

theres a tour coming up with Def Leppard and Styx, its probably gonna sell out in places, also Motley Crue shows these days do very well.

SO why are you saying that its "hated"?
Hair metal bands are hated for the same reason that emo bands are, basically
Quote by soccermom
The only epic thing about the bass forum is Pete Wentz penis. Its Epic. Epic penis.
BASS, MT, AND PIT JUNKIE

they may have been able to wank a million times better than me but they played with no emotion, feeling or substance (no pun intended)
Quote by jumpmanhat
hair metal is not hated. Technically, every genre in the world is hated by someone.
You will be surprised, there are tons of ppl out there that love 80s hair metal.

theres a tour coming up with Def Leppard and Styx, its probably gonna sell out in places, also Motley Crue shows these days do very well.

SO why are you saying that its "hated"?

look around here, hair metal is quite disliked. Aswell almost every music publication (with maybe the exception of Classic Rock), AMG and other Music related sites dont praise hair metal. Of course some people still love it, but theyre generally not considered "serious".
Quote by Rockstar12345
Quote by Holy Katana

exactly. C.C. from poison is a great guitarist. but i hate poison.

Jack my swag
Quote by AboveTheBridge
Hair metal bands are hated for the same reason that emo bands are, basically

By some people yes, I like hair metal but I hate emo bands.
i love hair metal, i think it's just the provocative dressing that makes everyone hate it, but everyone just got bored of it and moved onto the next thing (Grunge).
Quote by kaptink
So you think Hair metal is faggy but you want to hear more deep manly voices?

kudos to you!

i just think that male voices sound better when they're not always screaming in falsetto.
Man i have no idea what all you guys are complaining about. Hair metal rules. I spent almost 5 years of my life listening to nothing but hair metal and i have found nothing to complain about. Everybody in the band knows how to play their instrument well, they made really catchy songs, and they just plain rocked. In regards to you people who say they play with no emotion or feeling just look at songs like every rose has its thorn by Poison, heaven isnt to far away by Warrant, and home sweet home by Motley Crue. And so what if they were wearing make up and had huge hair maybe they were just trying o stand out or maybe they evern thought they looked good by doing it.
well its like pop punk now, it's way over played....and most of them are homosexual
they were nicknamed hair metal, not their choice. Van Halen is hair metal, isnt it? THey have high pitched vocals and all that, so your saying he has no talen and only looks? f**k you.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Page 1 of 3