Hi everyone. I have been playing bass for a short time now and I want to start using effects. I have read many threads here about this, but I couldn't make a conclusion. First of all, I am at a budget now (~150 euros), and as I said I am a beginner. So I considered one of these small digital multieffects. I have two in my mind, the zoom B2.1u , and the digitech bp200. They cost around 150euros each. I've played with the zoom, and I didn't find it bad (I also like the fact that I can record with it's integrated USB port). I've played with many digitech effects (for guitar) and I know that they have good quality standards, so I can't really go wrong with Digitech too I guess. So my first option would be one of these. My second option would be a line6 bass pod xt. It is quite pricey (400 euros), but I could gather some money for it if it is really worthy. I've heard many good things, but I haven't tested it by myself, so here I want your opinion. And finally, the third option would be to start building my own pedalboard.
I know that this is the most expensive option, but it is the best (as for sound quality) as well. So, what would you suggest for now? To spend 150 euros for a multieffect, and after months upgrade to single effects? to buy the bass pod xt live and stick with it? Or to buy a stompbox and continue adding other stompboxes to it afer? Also I've heard that many single effects together drain your signal, and accept much interference. Is it something to worry about? Sorry for the long post.
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
Last edited by pagiatis at Aug 26, 2007,
i would get the PODxt just for the amp modeling, the effects are supremely good also. of course they don't sound exactly like the originals, but you aren't paying for all of that gear either. the bassist at my church has a BP200 and it pales in comparison to the PODxt, it's well worth the extra 250 euros.
i thought i had magic fingers once, and had uncovered the fountain of love.

turns out my girlfriend was just peeing on me.
i've got a zoom on the way - b1x off the top of my head.
"Aww what’s the matter? You’re the one who started this game. Now you’re losing and you don’t want to play any more."
-Vegeta
Digitech's single pedals and stomp boxes are superb, but their multi-effect gear sounds like ****e. I can't say for the others you mention, but for the Digi BP200, leave that one well alone.
Thanks for the input. Looks like I am gonna stay a bit away from the digitech bp200 (I lliked the zoom more from the beginning). But what about the bass pod xt live and the single pedals?
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
Please?
Quote by thefitz
As far as I know, if your pedals are True Bypass, then they won't drain your signal too much, if at all.
I know it's a matter of taste but I recently hooked up an old Digitech RP12 multi effects which has been laying around here for years. I didn't like most of the factory presets but I guess they were intended for guitar, not bass. But, then I actually read the manual and started making adjustments to the presets. This thing is awesome and every parameter is adjustable and assignable. I was all set to go and spend lots of money on new stuff but putting in the time to actually do something with it instead of just using the factory stuff has been well worth it. I've now got all the effects and a nice volume pedal as well. (and all in one box with no patch leads) So what don't you like about Digitech multi effects?