Hey guys,

I'm thinking of ditching the tabs and scores and start learning songs by ear.
Easier said then done...
Can you recomend me some song that are easy to play by ear?
Any advice to get me on my way would be great.
My guitar playing is quite acceptable, but I lack the musical ear a bit.

Thanks!
Gear: USA Strat, Mex Strat, Epi LP, a chinese Cheapocaster, yamaha accoustic, old classical guitar
Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board
Dunlop Crybaby-Boss CS3-Little Big Muff-MT2-OD3-CH1-DD3-GT8
Fender Pro 185
Marshall DSL201
Last edited by KVincent at Aug 26, 2007,
I too may join you in this, as I would like to get a good ear.
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
Haha i'm gonna join you too... was gonna a month ago and have been trying out things now and again by ear since. I've tabbed out fade to black intro solo by ear and other little random bits.

One intro solo by Metallica is also a good one.
Good for you. Not sure of a song to recommend. Find something you like and try it. even getting some of it is a step in the right direction.
shred is gaudy music
Start by figuring out melodical bits of songs.. it's easier to play any kind of melody by ear than to figure out a basic chord.. at least to me..
Quote by HeliuM
Some powerchord type songs like nirvana and most punk...

I can manage to find basic powerchords (C5, G5,...) even major and minor if I have a good day. But that's still far from figuring out a whole song. Especially double stops seem to be problematic. And when I have to find a more complicated (7, 9)chord i'm completely stuck.
At the moment i'm downloading an ear training cd. I'm afraid it's going to be hard work and a lot of practice...
I've always trained my fingers but neglected the ear... really regret it now, tabs made me lazy...
Gear: USA Strat, Mex Strat, Epi LP, a chinese Cheapocaster, yamaha accoustic, old classical guitar
Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board
Dunlop Crybaby-Boss CS3-Little Big Muff-MT2-OD3-CH1-DD3-GT8
Fender Pro 185
Marshall DSL201
Over the hills and far away
Smoke on the water(Even the solo)
Any pink floyd
Lots of Led Zeppelin
For chords, Eagles Tunes are always good
Whole lotta love
Highway Star

Those are some i've learned by ear, it's never bad to look up videos on youtube also just to see if you're on the right track. Not until you're used to it at least. Good luck!
AC/DC back in black!
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Quote by HeliuM
Some powerchord type songs like nirvana and most punk...

I don't know of a single punk song with power chords.
A good way to go about it is to figure out as much of a song as you can. when you absolutely cant figure something out, then consult another source like tabs, or just someone who knows the song.

Each time you learn a new song, you'll learn new things (chords, scales techniques). Then the next time you encounter them you know what they are. When you've learned all of the most commonly used concepts, youll be in a good position to figure out a majority of what you come across. After awhile youll be figuring out most if not all of it yourself, and relying less on the other sources.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Aug 26, 2007,
What helps a lot with learning songs by ear - especially those with fast parts - is Windows Media Player, or any other music player that will allow you to slow down songs. What I usually do whenever I'm learning a song by ear is to first be able to hum the melodies. This will help a lot so you don't have to say to yourself "wait, how did that go?!" pause the song, then replay it a few seconds before the melody and wait for it to come up again.

Once you've gotten used to hearing the different intervals, it will become much easier. After you've figured out the first note, you'll be saying to yourself "Well, that sounds like a major 3rd...Then a minor second right after the 3rd, and finally a P4 down..."