What scale can I get a nice, southern sound out of? I got a cool hardcore riff, with a lot of southern flare in it (It basically me playin a a three notes on the 7th, 11 and 6th fret) and I need a scale that has a good southern sound it kinda end it with.
I'm gonna drive all night, take some speed. I'm gonna wait for the sun to shine down on me. I cut a hole in my roof in the shape of a heart snf I' goin' out west where they'll appreciate me"

Click this if you like men!
That is an oxymoron, sir

I think the southern sound is achieved through the tone of the instrument, rather than pitch. I'd say use major, minor, pentatonic, and/or blues scales. Try and make your strings sound twangy
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Considering southern rock is like a mishmash of blues, country, and rock... I'd say the Blues scale would be a good place to start. It's more about the right level of dirt than the note you play.
Pentatonics, but on the second octave it's nice to do a quick trill between the root and an added m2.

Another suggestion would be to work on your flatpicking, as you get a much twangier and treble heavy tone. It's a good way to change your sound a little bit for that part without messing with your gear, which will help if you plan to play this live.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Fhey... you sir are a generalizer. Why don't you stay in the pit? lol :P

It mostly relies on the pickups and amp of choice . Though wood can play a part...
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Okay, time for a real answer...

TS, what key is your song in? Whichever key it's in, drop down 3 frets and play the minor pentatonic, that will give you the same notes as the major pentatonic of the key you're in and hey presto, instant southern-ness.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Major pentatonic.
My guitar teacher (who I trust) says major pentatonics for country and western and souther and so on. He says minor pentatonics are for blues and reggae and so on.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
That's right, but it still needs to be in the right key - which the TS is still reluctant to divulge
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
That's right, but it still needs to be in the right key - which the TS is still reluctant to divulge
It shouldn't matter. 9/10 times major pentatonics over the major chords and minor pentatonics over the minor chords should work.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
It always matters, if you play E major pentatonic when the song's in F then it not only won't sound southern, it'll just sound like ass.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

^I meant playing E major pentatonic over an Emaj and a F#minor pentatonic over an F#min and so on. Why would you play a different chord to the mode/scale? Sure jazz guitarist do that, but they know exactly what they're doing.
        |\
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
In which case the key is important...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Steal some blues and old R'n'R licks too.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
Quote by steven seagull
In which case the key is important...

I agree with demonofthenight. Pentatonics are barely scales since they don't contain the all important fourth and seventh degrees of the major scale.

I still stick to my argument that the tone of the instrument is more important than the intervals being played when it comes to a southern sound. Pentatonic scales are so neutral and versatile that they can work for just about any genre or mood.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Blimey, wind yer neck in!

The TS asked how to sound "southern" as in southern, country influenced rock. That genre was built on the major pentatonic - you're just needlessly confusing matters for the sake of sounding clever.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

What ever you say.

Southern rock, if not all rock music uses a lot of pentatonic scales, but the scale is of oriental origin. Would you say rock music sounds oriental?
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
There's only really one pentatonic scale where rock is concerened and that's the minor pentatonic. The major pentatonic is used too, but pattern-wise it's the same so it's enough to just learn the minor pentationic and understand when to use it as the major.

The origin of the scale is irrelevant, country music is all major pentatonics as far as lead-work goes, relative minor and all that. Likewise southern rock is all major pentatonics, because it's basically rock music fused with country. You can make pretty much any rock song sound country simply by switching the lead parts from minor pentatonic to major....I really don't see what you're getting at.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
There's only really one pentatonic scale where rock is concerened and that's the minor pentatonic. The major pentatonic is used too, but pattern-wise it's the same so it's enough to just learn the minor pentationic and understand when to use it as the major.

The origin of the scale is irrelevant, country music is all major pentatonics as far as lead-work goes, relative minor and all that. Likewise southern rock is all major pentatonics, because it's basically rock music fused with country. You can make pretty much any rock song sound country simply by switching the lead parts from minor pentatonic to major....I really don't see what you're getting at.

I'm saying that, for example, an electric guitar with blazing distortion and chorus effects will never sound like country music, even if the player is using notes from the major pentatonic scale.

Which leads me back to my original argument; tone is much more important than pitch in this case.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Of course it can - like they say, tone is in the fingers. Pitch is EVERYTHING when defining the "feel" and character of piece of music...the tone that the equipment lends itself to is irrelevant.

Besides, seeing as how this is MT i assumed that the TS was looking for a theory-related answer.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

major pentatonics... major blues..

can you post what your playing over?
shred is gaudy music