Need some help soloing. I like to play hard rock and i just want to know how to fit a solo in a song and some things tht cld give some kick to the solo. thnx
Concerts I've Been To:
Aerosmith x2
A Life Once Lost
Motley Crue
Pearl Jam
My Morning Jacket
Buckcherry
Velvet Revolver x3
Godsmack
Alice In Chains
Stone Temple Pilots
Iron Maiden
Red hot Chili Peppers
Lamb of God
Killswitch Engage
record yourself playing some basic rythym on a tape player, and just experiment with different scales in that key
My Gear

ESP/Ltd EC-1000 w/EMG 81/60
ESP/Ltd H-500 w/ JB/59 Duncans
Fender MIM Strat w/ Hot rail in Bridge

Traynor Custom Valve 80watt 4x10
I'm guessing you're completely new to playing solos and all that, huh? Something that will be quite useful to you are scales. To put it in the simplest terms, they're a bunch of notes that sound "good" when used in solos. Check out this site for pretty much all the scales you could ever need.

The most common scale (that I've seen) used is the Minor Pentatonic scale, but that's been used so damn much, that it's basically bland now. Yes, you can use it, but it would be very smart to learn other scales too. Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Locrian, etc., practicing and remembering those (and others) will help quite a bit if you have them all in your head.

You also need to know the key of a song to solo in it. That basically relies on your ears, play a note on the Low E string, and if it sounds "good" with a song, that's generally the key it's in. This is kind of hard to do, but unless you know the key of the song already, it's the only way I know of to figure it out. From there, you can use the scales to start.

My final note: Don't just play notes in a scale or two, give the notes life. Make your solos tell a story, play from your heart. Hell, go watch Stevie Ray Vaughan perform "Lenny" live at El Mocambo and see what I mean.

EDIT: You have oddly nice gear for someone who hasn't learned soloing...
Quote by Jesus Himself Christ
You know, you're one pretty cool guy, Kylster.

Please click this and critique some little ditties I done madeified myselfins!