I was thinking about getting one but I don't know if its worth it. There expensive for a good one.

Where could I get one cheap? How many watts should I get? Any advise would be welcomed.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
it basically makes it not gay
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
Quote by SOCOOLITHURTS
I was thinking about getting one but I don't know if its worth it. There expensive for a good one.

Where could I get one cheap? How many watts should I get? Any advise would be welcomed.

It completely depends on what expectations you have and what you want.
Hi, I'm Peter
It's like comparing a cheap 5 bucks 2.0 speakers for the pc, and a shabby 2.1 speakers system with a subwoofer, and 2 small boxes with a twinner, a mid-range, and a bass inside each one, and a control for bass and treble. Huge difference.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Aug 27, 2007,
Of course you need an amp.
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

Umm... I don't think that any really constructive advice was given, so here's a shot.

Getting an amp is hardly ever a bad decision, unless you have very little money. Basically, even if you don't need the amp to drive your speakers harder, an amp will enable you to reach the same volumes, only cleaner, since less clipping will occur.

Now, necessity is another story. People say you can't have a loud or good stereo without an amp. I can tell you that, from personal experience, this is simply not true. One of my favorite stories is that I had my radio on about 45-50, with my windows up. Later that day, my friend mentioned to me that he could hear me coming from 100 yards out over his stereo turned halfway up, with is windows rolled up. That was with just a head-unit and speakers.

I could turn that radio up to just about to pain threshold before any clipping occurred. I could get it louder with a bit of clipping (bad) or I could adjust out either bass or mids and take it to the max, which hurt my ears. That stereo basically met all of my musical needs, that was with 50 watts peak each channel.

Now, with an amp, I could have gone MUCH louder without clipping, but it wasn't necessary. I never listened to rap or anything (I couldn't anyway, my speakers would vibrate everything on my interior, sounded like expensive death).

Now, if you wanna get some heavy thump or blown ear drums going on, without cutting out your audio quality, then you'll want an amp. If you want to drive a sub, it isn't absolutely necessary, if you have a good head unit, but it usually is a good idea on a huge magnitude. Most people do the wrong thing, and only amp a sub. They have a head that pushed 15 watts RMS and a sub with about 1000 watts. All you have is boom, if that's what you want, fine, but it really isn't that great to listen to, and you'll want to shut it off 80% of the time.

Your best bet if you want to invest in an amp, is to get one to drive your speakers before you get a sub, people never believe that speakers can put out enough bass, when it's never true, they just never give them enough power. A system that would meet the wants/needs of 90% of people would be composite up front, and a pair of 6"x9" speakers in the back, with two two channel amps (for a grand total of four channels). You can put out well over 800 watts that way, and it will be quality, it won't be speakers barely squeaking and thundering bass.

Man, this was a rant... I'm just sick of crappy systems that are the result of poor planning...

So, to really answer your question, get an amp, the increase in quality and clarity is worth it alone. If you have a stock 4-speaker system, you could get by with a 4-channel amp, but, if I remember right, a pair of two channel amps will provide you with a better value. 200 watts max up fron, 300 in back, should be plenty for now an in the future.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
That was a good rant, but it's still an incomplete answer. TS, you have to decide what you're looking for in a system before you can even start pondering amplifiers. Give us a better idea and we'll be able to help you out.
Hi, I'm Peter
in my car ive got a 1300 watt sub, 600watt 4 channel pioneer amp, and it sounds preety damn good!!
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
You really don't need more than 200W amp to power a car audio...

Like seriously its pointless when people fit in 1000w amps in their cars... Like you're powering a little car audio system. Its just a little 10ft box!!!
You're not powering a night club!!!

Its stupid having a 1000w amp in your car and you can't increase the volume up more than level 6 without blowing your ears and speakers off!!
^ Not to mention a lot of people don't know what they're talking about when it comes to car audio. Like the guy who says he has a 600 watt Pioneer amp. No he doesn't. It's probably a 50x4 RMS wattage amp.
Hi, I'm Peter
Okay well I'm going to try my best to explain to you what I want.

Right now I just want an amp that will make my speakers better. These are my speakers (I have two upfront and two in the back) and my In-Dash Player:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-In-Dash-Player-CDXGT310/sem/rpsm/oid/159659/catOid/-13089/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Kicker-6-Coaxial-Speakers-055KS60/sem/rpsm/oid/130630/catOid/-15481/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Although I would like a bass system, I probably won't get one. Its so much money and I don't listen to much stuff that needs a whole lot of bass. I mostly listen to rock/alternative/hardcore music. I would like some bass though but not a lot.

I hope that helps. I still don't even know if adding an amp would make much of a difference yet. I figure I will at least spend $200 for the amp and maybe $30 for the wiring.

EDIT: Also, would I need a 2-channel or 4-channel amp? I don't know what that means so if someone could explain that would be great.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Last edited by SOCOOLITHURTS at Aug 27, 2007,
Quote by JOEYPWNSU
it basically makes it not gay

Gayness depends on what your playing from it. If it's dance music, EPIC FAIL.
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Quote by SOCOOLITHURTS
Okay well I'm going to try my best to explain to you what I want.

Right now I just want an amp that will make my speakers better. These are my speakers (I have two upfront and two in the back) and my In-Dash Player:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-In-Dash-Player-CDXGT310/sem/rpsm/oid/159659/catOid/-13089/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Kicker-6-Coaxial-Speakers-055KS60/sem/rpsm/oid/130630/catOid/-15481/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Although I would like a bass system, I probably won't get one. Its so much money and I don't listen to much stuff that needs a whole lot of bass. I mostly listen to rock/alternative/hardcore music. I would like some bass though but not a lot.

I hope that helps. I still don't even know if adding an amp would make much of a difference yet. I figure I will at least spend $200 for the amp and maybe $30 for the wiring.

EDIT: Also, would I need a 2-channel or 4-channel amp? I don't know what that means so if someone could explain that would be great.

You could get either a 2 channel or a 4 channel, but since you have 2 preamp outputs, I'd recommend a 4 channel (WARNING: Look at your owner's manual or the back of the unit to make sure the outputs say "FRONT" and "REAR," not "FRONT" and "SUB" or something similar - it would not be good to run your small coaxial speakers through the subwoofer channel). This allows you to fade forward and backward as well as balance left and right appropriately. How much of an amp you want will be dictated by your speakers. You look at two things: (1) RMS wattage rating and (2) ohms. Ideally, the RMS wattage rating of the amp will be the same or slightly more than the RMS rating of the speaker at the appropriate ohms. The RMS wattage rating on those speakers at 4 ohms is 65 watts, so you should be looking at amps that are 50-75 watts per channel at 4 ohms. One cheap brand you should take a look at is Profile. They're sold through www.crutchfield.com and generally people who are car audio enthusiasts on a budget get good results with them. This, for example, is an inexpensive amp that would suit your needs:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-I1pxfcTNKUY/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=120&I=489AP740

When shopping for amps and speakers, make sure it's the RMS and not the maximum wattage ratings you're looking at. Also with amps, look for features like a high/low pass filter (which allows you to cut off certain frequencies and keep your speakers from getting frequencies they weren't built to handle) and low THD - total harmonic distortion. An amp with low THD will operate quieter.

As an installation tip, you'll get better bass response with an amp if you stuff the areas behind the speakers with polyfil - 100% polyester pillow stuffing. It allows your speakers to run more efficiently and "hit harder." This will work with even the 6" component speakers you're using in your car.

Any other questions, let us know.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Aug 27, 2007,