My mom literally listens to no music and seems very cranky and/or stressed, while im always singing something and tend to be more relaxed and happy. So how much do you think music plays a role in a person's attitude, personality, and overall mental health?
Last edited by bTOMd at Aug 27, 2007,
I dont think it plays anything. Some people just DONT LIKE music....i dont understand them, but they dont seem to enjoy it.

Me, as a music lover, helps me out a lot. But doesnt do magic.
If im mad and i want to kill somebody music wont do anything to change my mood.
If im happy ofcourse it helps me out, maybe i turn it up a little.
If im drunk......we all know hahaha

For me its something i love to do, just as if we took tv, or a sport, magazine away from people who love reading/watching it. Nothing out of this world. Perfect sense.
Music calms me down or pumps me up, depending on my mood. I've become a lot more calm and relaxed since I started "Really" listening to music.
Quote by Pabli7o
I dont think it plays anything. Some people just DONT LIKE music....i dont understand them, but they dont seem to enjoy it.

For me its something i love to do, just as if we took tv, or a sport, magazine away from people who love reading/watching it. Nothing out of this world. Perfect sense.

I disagree with that, music does magic for me, music does change my mood a lot especially if I listen to blues or a little Pink Floyd. It really does take me away like that, or maybe I'm weird, but that's me
Well, depends on hte kind of music you listen to. Classical music for instance, while it can be very relaxing, it can be boring, thus making you listen harder to litle subtle things. Causing you to be very alert, and over analytical (like english teachers) Classical music can also make people very prude.

Rock or blues, help vent emotions, help the listener relate to the artist. So, it may have the listener become more emotionally bonded with the peopel aroudn them, they may become more sensitive, or vice versa to the emo I'mma shoot you genre of music.

And yeah, you can pretty much fill it in for any other genre you want.

But rememebr different genres of music also carry a personality with them. When peopel think of classical, they think classy, precise, neat and people will unconsciously begin to pick up that social personality.

But good music will always bring an emotion to a person. Almost like a thrill ride it helps release adrenaline and releases stress (I think) and thats what music much like a roller coaster will always have people leaving happy.
im not sure about aditude, but i think the type of music you listen to will greatly impact your personality. compare your local screemo-nut friend, to the 1 who only listens to afro-latin jazz. youll see what i mean
Quote by AlecMag
You have made a potentially boring thread epic. Be proud.

Quote by rabidguitarist
deanwad could be right, actually.

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by Pabli7o

I agree fully.

If you're a music lover, then I think listening to it definately helps, but not liking music at all doesn't really affect your personality IMO.
Music influences me a lot. Each time I listen to DIO or Iron Maiden I can't stop moving my head and slightly headbanging (I'm doing it right now).
The 8th symphony of Beethoven gives me shivers, and also some songs.
And about my personality, it raised my self confidence a lot, and gives me topics to speak about with people. Nothing is funnier than making Kurt Cobain jokes with a Nirvana fan .
And also guitar playing raised my self confidence a lot. It's something that I love, I have a passion for, and I'm good at. It's a great and important thing for me as it raised my position from dork to normal guy.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by wizards?
^ kurt jokes with nirvana fans is a fun time, my friend likes nirvana and i give him crap about it all the time

I was at a party and while talking about electronic music with some chick, I find out that the guy next to me plays guitar. So I ask him about his tastes and stuff, and he says Nirvana. So I tell "ok this deserves a Kurt Cobain joke! Just one!" and I do the "what's the best thing Kurt Cobain ever wrote? A suicide letter!"
His expression was priceless. Something between "lol that was pretty funny", and "I want to crush your nuts"
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I think it has quite a bit of an influence. I think the content influences it too, for example, when I listen to Killswitch Engage or Metallica, I tend to be a little more active and quick tempered, whereas when I listen to Death Cab, I'm a little more chill.
I have mad respect for nirvana. Now people say are overrated. Just because everyone like a band, then its not cool anymore=overrated. Anyways back to thread.

lounge act said it all. But i thought thread started meant something deeper than head bang or foot tapping. A change in this "person's attitude, personality, and overall mental health".

We can see we are all made different. Come on.... how many of your friends act like their fav rapper?? how many get easily influenced with that crap. Thats another story which can kiiindaaa relate to a "change in this person's attitude, personality, and overall mental health". Blame MTV for that.

True story: My friends noticed that I've been listening to heavier music in the past 2 years.

Yes its true.

And one time of them asked me...WHATS NEXT? as in IM I GOING TO WORSHIP THE DEVIL? until i proved him that i was the same guy with long hair than 2 years ago. Im not walking down the street keying car doors or setting garbage cans on fire.

We are all different