I have trouble playing the chord that is x35553. I think its a b something. Any tips on how to get it?
There are two wolves fighting in every man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate. Whichever one you feed the most will win the battle.
barre the 3rd fret with ur first finger (all the way) and then use ur 3rd finger to barre on the 5th fret! thats how i do it its also good if u want to play 2 extra notes
so you think just take out the high e string and play only the middle 4? my problem is my fingertips are two wide to put one on each of the fifth fret strings, but I can bar both the third and fifth frets.
There are two wolves fighting in every man's heart. One is Love, the other is Hate. Whichever one you feed the most will win the battle.
practice, practice, practice!

being able to play that chord is actually quite important. you should really just keep on practicing it until you get it. by the way, the chord is a c major.
Quote by Yanas
Wouldn't that be a C?

yes, in which case you can play the open chord version if youre new to guitar. its easier and its the same thing really: x32010
Quote by sweettongued1
so you think just take out the high e string and play only the middle 4? my problem is my fingertips are two wide to put one on each of the fifth fret strings, but I can bar both the third and fifth frets.

you want to barre the third fret with your index finger, and the fifth fret with either your pinky or ring finger. you can barre just the three necessary strings on the fifth fret without muting out your high e string though. that's the practice i was referring to.
There's really a couple of ways to properly play that chord. My preference to learning that one is to play the A chord, but instead of using fingers 1,2,3 to form it, use fingers 2,3,4. This will leave finger 1, your barre finger, free to barre that chord when you need to. If you can play an A with your 1,2,3 fingers, then you most certainly should be able to fit your 2,3,4 fingers as they take up LESS room on the fretboard.
Try transitioning from A to the barre C this way. Get good and used to playing the A chord with the 2,3,4 fingers first, then just slide up to the C barre position at the 3/5th frets(3rd for the barre 1st finger, 5th fret for fingers 2,3,4 keeping that same A shape you had a second ago). Give this a try and see if it helps.
^--- while i'm not against playing the C barre chord this way, I do feel that it's quite important to learn to play it by properly barring the 5th fret with either the pinky or the ring finger. it may be fine to use three fingers when you are playing the C, but as you move higher up the fretboard to play other barre chords, the frets get closer together and it is necessary to learn to barre the B, G, and D strings without muting the high E string.
^ And there's a term for those types of barres too, where you will have a full barre with your forfinger(#1) and a partial barre with a different finger. The name escapes me at the moment. There's also a couple of chords that I simply cannot finger, no matter how much I stretch out my right hand, I can't do them. They span 5 frets and I just can't reach them. I've watched a couple of instructional videos with Joe Satriani, who is a fantasticly gifted technical guitarist, where he teaches these. His fingers look to be incredibly long. Maybe he's really an alien? lol