My band is working on a ballad and with me being the bass player, I'm expected to write the bass line. The problem is that A) I have little experience with ballads and B) I'm not the type of bass player that just sits around playing root notes--I actually use the bass as an instrument. So I'm looking for some advice on what I can do to make a semi-interesting bass line in a ballad without ruining the sort of sad feeling of it.
Mr. Allan wrote:
This is like saying you're not allowed to jerk off over the girl next door unless you have a license and written permission from her. Which, of course, is bullsh*t
Play a slow melody.

Yeah, that's about it. Try to merge with the guitar for the first beat of each phrase, then go off and do your own thing.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Duff's bass line from Sweet Child of Mine has some nice spots.
Actually, try to make a melodic line that corresponds with chords.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
The other guys pretty much said it: Play a slow melody based on the cord tones. A descending melody would be suitable for a ballad, but play around. A couple of chromatic notes can sound pretty sweet too.
again, there are SO many things you can do it's almost unreal. but basically a melody (i recommend a counter melody, something that doesn't follow the same movement and motion as the guitars) based around the chord tones and progression. this is a beginning.
The guitars will probably be playing chords, because that's just kind of the way most ballads work. Try listening to Alice in Chains' "Nutshell" which isn't a true "ballad," but it gives you an idea of how to work a bassline around a ballad-y chord progression.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Try asking this in Bass forum too.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
If the bass isn't supposed to be really leading in the song, then find a rhythm that fits and basically pedal between the root and other chord tones. Don't keep the same idea for every measure though. What I like to do when I'm hanging back is find a way to play arpeggio that sounds good under the guitars, then hold the root note on the next chord but play the root in the same rhythm as you did the arpeggio for the previous chord. If what I said makes no sense, PM me and I can send you examples of what I mean.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Ok im just as intreasted in the answer to. Terry Adamo .post it when you get it.. Look him up
Last edited by fact2affect at Aug 27, 2017,
fact2affect

Hey. So you're new here so you probably don't know, but under your avatar and join date there is a post date. The post dates in this thread are all August 27th, 2007. Today is August 27th, 2017. So that means these posts are 10 years old. So the conversation ended a long time ago and chances are most of the users in this thread probably don't even post here anymore. In the future please be careful to check post dates and don't bump old threads.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.