Hey, i have posted some of this in the "What amp" section already, but now i'm starting to have more questions about the amp in general and i'm a little bit in doubt that it will suit me.

First a little more detail: I will mainly play with my ibanez s2075 and cort with active emgs on this amp. If needed i also have a boss gt-8 for effects, an mxr od pedal and a boss mt-2, but all i really want to get ouf of this is a good metal sound, so my first question is: Is it doable? which combination of effects/pedals should i use>

The second thing is that the sound that amazes me most is the "metal" Dream Theater sound, or the lead sound that Petrucci uses, that's the sound i want to get close to (and a mesa is out of my reach i'm afraid). Other minor influences for sound would also be Metallica, Pantera, BLS, Opeth etc, but also very few SRV and Hendrix. Now i was looking at the Laney website and it looks like the amp is mainly made for classic rock, blues etc, judging by the artists that use it. Can i get this kind of sound out of an amp that has the classic british sound to it?

Now you might wonder why i am looking at the vc30, well i could get it quite cheap, that's why and i realize there are other options which would be better, if u don't mind you could list some in a similar price range.
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

No they don't, and UG is proof...
It's not particularly voiced for metal, but with an OD, it can. I've posted in the Laney thread about the OD's you might want for it. Also, you might wanna look for an LC, more Fendery cleans, with more gain.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
It's not particularly voiced for metal, but with an OD, it can. I've posted in the Laney thread about the OD's you might want for it. Also, you might wanna look for an LC, more Fendery cleans, with more gain.

thanks for the help in the laney thread, i'll actually look into this. and i hope me posting about this so much doesn't seem to self centered or whatever, i just don't wanna make a mistake with the amp, because right now i'm in doubt as far as a metal sound that i could get out of it goes.
“If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?”
- Scott Adams

You could get metal gain (with on OD) but it wont sound as good as say, a Triple Recto. Although it's probably out of your price range. How about an Orange? Or a Marshall DSL401?
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
Quote by rhcp_freak
You could get metal gain (with on OD) but it wont sound as good as say, a Triple Recto. Although it's probably out of your price range. How about an Orange? Or a Marshall DSL401?

orange would be hard to get, because i live in china. Marshall is doable, and the Triple Recto is too expensive, it really shouldn't exceed 1000$, and if so by just a little bit. My big problem is that i can't really try them out, that's why i rely on peoples' opinions in general. There are no real big stores here, only a small selection of amps really... but i can order anything i want basically.
- Scott Adams

honestly, if you're only looking for metal sounds, there are other amps you should try out

It's generally harder to find lower priced valve amps which are mostly suited towards high gain, but there are certainly better ones out there than the VC30

the VC30's 'brother' for one, the LC30, would be much more suited towards metal, but still not without some sort of distortion or OD
Quote by matt bickerton
honestly, if you're only looking for metal sounds, there are other amps you should try out

It's generally harder to find lower priced valve amps which are mostly suited towards high gain, but there are certainly better ones out there than the VC30

the VC30's 'brother' for one, the LC30, would be much more suited towards metal, but still not without some sort of distortion or OD

I see you have an LC30, what kinda music do you play with it?
- Scott Adams

I mostly play modern hard rock and with the right pedals, the LC30 can do it fine.

I think with my current pedal line up, if I was to buy say a metal muff or something, I could quite easily achieve metal - an EQ pedal will do you wonders with most amps

give the LC30 a try preferably with an EQ and a heavy distortion pedal, you may like it. However there are better amps out there for metal so try out what you can first.

but I think a VC30 is one of the last amps I'd look at if I was going for metal. Perhaps you could also try a VC50, competely different from the lower wattage VC's

unfortunately they're discontinued, but they're exactly the same as the Laney VH100R's, so try one of them and if you like it, just buy a Laney VC50 combo from ebay (if that's possible where you live)