I've been playing guitar for a while, and i think its time to upgrade my s***ty squier affinity strat with the $1100 Im saving up. I have a line 6 spider III 75w and my squier sounds like crap through it. I played the spider through other guitars and it sounds amazing. My fav bands are Guns n Roses, AC/DC, Avenged Sevenfold, Bon Jovi, Kiss, Motley Crue, Van Halen, etc. Everyone says the amp is best with gibson guitars, but i think id rather get a Synyster Gates Custom. Should i get a Syn or a Gibson V/Explorer
explorer FTW!!!
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
WTF I just got the spider 2 months ago to replace my fender frontman. I got ripped off!(Sits in corner and cries)lol
split the money up. get a decent guitar and a decent amp.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Man get the explorer. then you'll have the same set up as me

But seriously the gibson explorers are nice guitars imo. I didnt like the V cause when you sat down and played, yeah....
Gibson with a Spider III? No. Buy a new amp.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Don't spend like $1100 all on a new guitar man!!! Get a gibson LP vingtage mahogany. Sell the spider and then get a decent blue junior or classic 30 for $500

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

A great guitar won't make a crappy amp sound good. With $1100 you could get a nice tube amp. Your Squier would sound tons better than either of those guitars through the Spider.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by Hardrockbryan
Does anyone care about the syn custom? I don't care if my amp is bad.

No. It's a ****ty, ugly ass guitar for too much money.

Stay away.
Dickless.
Quote by Hardrockbryan

Then you're not going to get any better sound.
Your squier sounds crap through the spider because (and see if you can spot this) the spider is crap.

A squire through a good amp will sound good.
Anything through a bad amp will sound bad.

EDIT: with that budget, and if you were to sell your spider you'd get an awesome amp and a good guitar. Nothing to lose.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
Last edited by Forcemaster at Aug 27, 2007,
I would imagine anything with the british tube amp tone.

Marshall JCM 800 would be the ideal choice, have to go used as they're not made anymore but they're awesome. AFD was recorded on one.

The marshall DSL's they currently make are also pretty good, guitarist of my band has one, quite versatile and can get quite heavy if you want it to. But does amazing hard rock tones.

They're two i've had experience with, so I don't know about these personally but on here they get praised.

Also check out Laney GH's (Tony Iommis has a signature one, I believe)

I've heard people here talk about traynor's although i've never heard/played one myself.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
ok mate DO NOT get a synister custom instead a gibson explorer or i will have to come over to your house and carve you and your peice of **** overpriced guitar up. I can't belive you even considered doing that tbh. But seeing as your going to get an amp instead i agree with the guy above me here, Get a JCM 800 or 900. I DON'T recomend a 2000 but i haven't heard the DSL, some ppl say it has a purer tone. The TSL distortion just sounded really muddy imo.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
why not get a Epi Explorer and a nice tube amp then? Epi Explorers are underrated
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by Hardrockbryan

It plays great and it's not a piece of shit - it's actually rather solid (it is a Schecter after all). It sounds ehh. Nothing against Invaders but a pickup swap might be in order, which shouldn't be the case in such a pricy guitar.

Like others have posted before - any guitar will sound horrible if played through a horrible amplifier.

Quote by eddiehimself
ok mate DO NOT get a synister custom instead a gibson explorer or i will have to come over to your house and carve you and your peice of **** overpriced guitar up. I can't belive you even considered doing that tbh.

Are you going to back up this baseless accusation with some kind of explanation or are we expected to bow before your imaginary infallible wisdom because to be honest, my back is too sore to bow.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Last edited by Bazilisck311 at Aug 27, 2007,
^ you must REALLY love that thing, it's not even in your sig! The other thing is if your in a classic rock/hair metal band the explorer would look way better aswell.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
for amps, I would try out a peavey XXX, it seems to have a very hair-metal tone.
Quote by eddiehimself
^ you must REALLY love that thing, it's not even in your sig! The other thing is if your in a classic rock/hair metal band the explorer would look way better aswell.

If liking a few attributes of something was the same thing as loving it, then I'd be married to a Turkey sandwich.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Gibson Explorer a DSL 401 should get all those bands sound except A7X which maybe u could use an overdrive pedal for?
Quote by Bazilisck311
If liking a few attributes of something was the same thing as loving it, then I'd be married to a Turkey sandwich.

Rofl. Sigged.

To the TS...get a better amp. Divide the money half and half. It'll be worth it in the end.
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
SPAAAAAAAARRRRTTTAAA! No?
Quote by Guitarist132
Incorrect, the correct answer was papua new guinea

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.
the syn is possibly the worst schecter i've ever played... plus have you seen it in person... it's horribly tacky/ugly
I love my Syn custom. Best 900 I ever spent. I do plan on changing the pickups, as I've already got a guitar with a Invader jazz combo.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
if you absolutly MUST get a guitar and nothing else, I'm saying this straight up.
Go to a shop or two, play all three, choose which one you like best. Don't pick one cuz someone on UG doesn't like it.
I actually do have schizophrenia, so stop making fun of people who have it.

GEAR:
Boss ME-50
Silvertone Paul Stanley Apocalypse (modded)
Squier Affinity Strat (modded)
Italia Modulo 2
Fender Front 15G