Page 1 of 3
For updates + FAQ see: Further Information.

WELCOME TO S.V!

So you have a good idea for a competition? Then here you can tell your ideas to the S&L community, and if you receive a good response, go and start a sign up thread.

This involves outlining the competition rules, (restrictions on structure etc.) themes, (love, death etc.) member requirements (e.g. Newbie comps means only users here for under 6 months can enter) etc. And a sign up list, which you should update regularly as members sign up. Then what? When your roster is full, or you have as many competitors as you can keep track of, give them a due date for your pieces. Work within reason, but don't leave it too long either! (Usually its a working week, 5 days)

Types Of Competitions

Newbie Competition
A Newbie Competition is one established just for the new members of the Songwriting and Lyrics community. Usually, eligible competitors are those that have registered after a certain time period. And any type of piece (lyrics, poetry, prose) is eligible for being entered. There is no specific theme that competitors have to follow.

Point Distribution For Newbie Competitions:
1st Place- 3pts
2nd Place- 2pts
3rd Place- 1pt

Quicky Competition
A Quicky Competition is one established to be set up and run quickly. Any member of S&L is eligible to participate, as well as being able to submit any type of piece (as long as it is not ridiculously long). There is no specific theme that competitors have to follow. Pieces are usually due on the date the competition was established, or the day after, so that the poll can go up quick (hence the name).

Point Distribution For Quicky Competitions:
1st Place- 3pts
2nd Place- 2pts
3rd Place- 1pt

Regular Competitions
A Regular Competition makes up the majority of Songwriting & Lyric competitions. Any member of S&L is eligible to participate, but these competitions usually follow a specific theme. An example could be a political competition, where each competitor will have to write a piece about something political, whether it be about war, government, economy, etc.

Point Distribution For Regular Competitions:
1st Place- 4pts
2nd Place- 3pts
3rd Place- 2pts

Super Competitions/Seasonal Competitions
A Super Competition are usually competitions that are held around holiday's or designed to be on a special theme. Any member of S&L is eligible to participate, but these competitions usually follow a specific theme. An example could be the Halloween competition, where the theme would be to write a piece that pertains to Halloween in some way, whether it be ghosts, demons, vampires, trick-or-treating, witches, etc.

Point Distribution For Super Competitions:
1st Place- 5pts
2nd Place- 3pts

Grand Championship
The biggest of all the S+L competitions, this is for the consistent scorers. A one off end of season competition. See below for all the details.

Point Distribution For The Grand Championship:
1st place- 6pts
2nd place- 4pts
3rd place- 3pts
4th place- 2pts

========================================================

Competition Rules

You can be eligible for any competition (as long as you meet requirements, such as for the newbie competition)
You have to submit your piece for the competition by the due date.
Submitting your piece If you do not submit your piece for the competition you signed up for by the due date, you will receive a deduction of 1pt. If you need an extra day due to reasons such as vacations or just being unable to get it in on time, you must notify the competition starter before the due date.
Not submitting pieces (for Comp starters) Competition starters MUST notify Myself (The Hurt Within) by a PM or posting so in the Points thread for any competitors that did not send in a piece without an explanation so that those people can receive their deduction.
Voting Limitations From this point onwards anybody voting for themselves in all competitions; 1v1s and any other competition (excluding two (see below)) will have an extra vote gifted to the opponent(s), this does not entitle them to vote for themselves though. The exclusion: Any comp wherein a piece is written by more than one writer means the competition is open for self-voting. Secondly if a poll is against a single piece written by anyone outside of UG i.e. established poets, lyricists, writers then you may vote for yourself, if you really think your writing is better.

This also counts for Writer of the Month, although no action will be taken against you, just your vote will not count, if you must just do not vote.

The Grand Championship

The Grand Championship will be triggered when someone hits the (25) point mark. This will halt the start of any new competitions and 1 vs. 1's. All competitions and 1 vs. 1's running during that time will be allowed to finish, with the points being added to the previous seasons total - this could mean a place in the Grand Championship or not. No new competitions or 1 vs. 1's will be allow to begin again until the start of the next season, which will take about a week. The top 7/8 (depending on where last years winner is in the points thread) will then go into a one of a kind competition, using any piece they've ever wrote, with no specific competition rules. The winner of this competition will be declared The Grand Champion Of (Specific Season). The winner also gets instant access into the next grand championship.

Further Information

- If you so wish once you're ready to set a due date on your comp you can save a lot of time for other users by reporting the thread (via another users post), and stating the due date as a reason for reporting. Then I will edit in the due date to the title. This will make it easier to see when each comp is due and how many we have running.

Polls need to be "public" this is activated when you create the poll. Towards the bottom of the poll posting thread is a check box 'Make poll public' check that.

The reasoning behind this:

- Clicking this box means that people can see who voted what. So that means there will be NO CHEATING. Now, I don't believe, or I wouldn't want to believe, that anybody here would actually cheat just to win an S&L Comp, but unfortunately, it has happened in the past and the sad truth is that people would cheat just to win a 1v1 against some person on the net. I am pointing no fingers AT ALL. But with this option, it means that people cannot cheat. They cannot.

If you wish to start a competition, please firstly put your idea forward in this thread, it will then be discussed, and the final decision is made as to whether you have the go ahead.

How To Make A Poll.
To put up a poll you click "New Thread" there you place the required songs into the poll, to make it easier to distinguish, try putting them in different colours, preferably in red, first, then blue. Then scroll down and tick the box marked "Make a poll?" Then type in the number of piece that is in the poll. Click submit thread; now you're greeted with the poll edit screen, firstly fill in the small question bar at the top with anything. Then type in the pieces titles (in the order they were posted) Its also helpful to write the colour too. Now scroll down and check the "Make poll public" box. The reason is explained above. Once that is done, your ready to click submit. And viola you have a poll.

Seasonal Comps

Further to the suggestion that we should have a seasonal Comp here are other "Holidays" we could have as comps...

Martin Luther King Day - Jan 15th
Burns Night - Jan 25th
Valentines Day - Feb 14th
Chinese New Year - Feb 18th
Presidents Day - Feb 19th
Mardi Gras - Feb 20th
April Fools - Apr 1st
First Day of Spring - May 1st
Memorial Day - May 28th
Longest Day (Summer) - Jun 21st
Labor Day - Sep 3rd
First Day of Autumn/Fall - Sep 23rd
Columbus Day - Oct 8th/12th
Guy Fawkes Day - Nov 5th
Veterans/Armistice Day - Nov 11th
Solstice - Dec 21st
Xmas Day - Dec 25th
New Years - Dec 31st Jan 1st
Filth, pure filth... That's what you are.
Last edited by The Hurt Within at Feb 15, 2008,
I propose a rule that if you vote for your own piece in any comp or 1 vs 1 you automatically lose said 1 vs 1 or are disqualified from the competition?
Difficult to implement. Some might claim ignorance. I think instead of disqualification, the vote is gifted to the opponent.

I'd have to create an announcement and leave it up...

I don't know. I think it is an option for the participants, if one decides they prefer their piece then they have the right to vote for themselves, the opponent should then also vote for themselves thus nullifying the vote.

It's a poll to begin regulating that would be ott.

N.B. This isn't the end of the debate, more opinions are welcome.
Okay that sounds better, the gifting the vote to the opponent. I just witnessed broken_bottles lose out to a win because phantom1 (name escapes me) voted for himself, and we've seen it before ruin match ups and stuff and I just think it's unfair.
I've always hated people voting for themselves too, but like Steve said, disqualification would be hard to implement. As far as gifting the point, at least it wouldn't be that big of a deal if the person didn't know of that rule, and everyone would figure it out eventually anyways. Personally I think it might be better to just not count the vote either way. Then you won't have to deal with people complaining that they lost a match because a point was gifted.

Either way there should be some kind of rule regarding this.
Last edited by bassbeat77 at Aug 30, 2007,
Alright I think it was Steve who had the idea a while ago... but what about a comp where nobody knows the criteria until after everyone's signed up? Could be really hard... could be really easy.

Anyways let me know and after I'll get it up ASAP.
I think we should implement some type of you get points for voting in competitions such as one vs ones and contests. I just finished a one vs one and it only had 3 votes, which isnt right. Maybe just a simple every 4 votes (give or take how many) you get a point. In the points thread when you have voted in a certain amount of competitions you most how many and links to the votes. The person runnign the points thread could run through them really quick to see if they actually voted. The only problem is people could just vote for one without reading them. Anyways what do you think about trying this idea for a while?
^yeah... each season has it's own major comp... they all have the same rules and eveything as far as i know.
Quote by bassbeat77
Alright I think it was Steve who had the idea a while ago... but what about a comp where nobody knows the criteria until after everyone's signed up? Could be really hard... could be really easy.

Anyways let me know and after I'll get it up ASAP.

I'm gonna put this up now.
^If you're hoping to have the polls up by the 4th then you should start sign-ups soon. Maybe run it as a quickie comp. so you can have it up in time.
seeing as this was completely ignored

Quote by TrigFunction
I think we should implement some type of you get points for voting in competitions such as one vs ones and contests. I just finished a one vs one and it only had 3 votes, which isnt right. Maybe just a simple every 4 votes (give or take how many) you get a point. In the points thread when you have voted in a certain amount of competitions you most how many and links to the votes. The person runnign the points thread could run through them really quick to see if they actually voted. The only problem is people could just vote for one without reading them. Anyways what do you think about trying this idea for a while?
Quote by TrigFunction
seeing as this was completely ignored

well you know. I agree that we ain't getting enough votes in 1vs1's. I think there's something to do with that idea. Maybe people could explain their vote, making sure they've gone through it all? But then again, it could discourage some people of voting.

I don't know what we should do, honestly.

As for myself, I have started to advertise polls to vote for in my sig...I don't know if it could make a difference with users that browse more UG forums. Or just people in s+l getting reminded of the contest forum...

But yeah, we should get more opinions on that.

(should this be in the feedback thread?)
^ Lets's discuss this in feedback thread.Just think of what I've poste in there
Hi
Last edited by abhishek21 at Sep 28, 2007,
After I'm done with the Surprise Comp. I'm thinking of doing another Short Comp. The last one turned out really well.
I had an idea, coming from the Surprise comp... What we could do is have the monthly surprise competition. Each time the winner of the previous edition gets to choose criteria for new edition. They can't compete, but since there is a new winner every time they only miss out one competition for every time they win.

If, the winner can't come up with criteria, or is too busy, someone could just volunteer to do it, and we would start with the winner of that edition.

Thoughts?
I'm kind of interested in entering competitions, but I'm not sure where to start exactly. Can I just jump in to 1 vs. 1 challenge thing? Sorry if this is in the wrong place.
Yeah, you can just go ahead and challenge. Just type in the format(song or poem) and the points you want to wager. It's all in the 1 vs 1 and this thread.
^You can jump into any competition you want. If you'd rather start with 1 vs 1's then go for it. Just post in the Challenge thread that you want to take somebody on.

EDIT: ^what he said.
^^what THEY said !!!(steve2, check messages :O)

I guess this would be the right place.

Yes you can just jump in this 1 vs 1 season. Having not competed before, you would have 0 points.

Look at the points thread, and also the 1v1 challenge thread, you got useful information in the first posts there. Just to get started, having 0 points, you are in the lower tier. To get started with your first 1v1, make sure to go against someone on the lower tier also (someone that has not competed yet either or that has a negative amount of points).

Have fun

edit : also, check the contest forum often for new competitions sign-up threads
Hey... was wondering if somebody wouldn't mind taking over the Newbie Comps. for one or two months. I just kind of feel like I could use a break from it... plus I've already got other comps. going too.

Any volunteers would be appreciated... you could start sign-ups anytime now.

And I'll still put up the September polls sometime soon.

Thanks.
No thanks, I'm to busy with the Grand Championship which I'll get up sometime between today and tomorrow. Sorry for it being so broken up.
Quote by bassbeat77
Hey... was wondering if somebody wouldn't mind taking over the Newbie Comps. for one or two months. I just kind of feel like I could use a break from it... plus I've already got other comps. going too.

Any volunteers would be appreciated... you could start sign-ups anytime now.

And I'll still put up the September polls sometime soon.

Thanks.

I can do that if u want the whole comp to continue but scrapping it for few months will be a good idea
Hi
Last edited by abhishek21 at Oct 8, 2007,
Quote by abhishek21
I can do that if u want the whole comp to continue but scrapping it for few months will be a good idea

I was considering that too.... just skipping it for a month. Maybe we should do that and then see where things are come November.
Quote by bassbeat77
I was considering that too.... just skipping it for a month. Maybe we should do that and then see where things are come November.

Seems like a good idea
Hi
Quote by Dæmönika
I'm all set for the Autumn Comp. If someone wants to give the go-ahead, I can get the sign-up thread up tonight/tomorrow.

Go for it.

All other comps that have been suggested get the green light.

EDIT: Competition Rules updated now includes the self-voting rules.
Last edited by The Hurt Within at Oct 12, 2007,
Anyone else making comps atm?

I'm running the autumn comp, the colour comp, the newbie comp and soon the haiku comp....and maybe even the Famous comp too.

please
Shape comp?

I just gave up the first try but that was because nobody submitted, everyone seemed to **** off with summer etc, but! if we get it together I still think it would be a really fun competition. You tell me boss.

=)
Quote by The Hurt Within
Anyone else making comps atm?

I'm running the autumn comp, the colour comp, the newbie comp and soon the haiku comp....and maybe even the Famous comp too.

please

If u want , I can handle one comp .
Hi
Page 1 of 3