Hey guys, I've been playing bass for about a month, and decided to learn Tom Sawyer today, since Rush rules and all that jazz. The problem is, I'm not very good at fingerpicking. I can play along with the record up until the point where the guitar starts playing that arpeggiated rhythm, and then goes off on to the solo and the bass picks up the arpeggio. Help me please?
Quote by Xodah
Marry me.

Quote by ..NEM..
Awesome nickname, awesome sentence under the nickname and awesome avatar. Awesome opinion too. And awesome quote. I like you.
To be honest, the only thing you can do is practice with it. And you'll get it eventually. Unless your technique is really bad there's nothing that can be done as a magic fix, you just have to practice it.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
You need to practice that with your picking hand just as much as with your fretting hand.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Quote by g.siddarth
Hey guys, I've been playing bass for about a month, and decided to learn Tom Sawyer today, since Rush rules and all that jazz. The problem is, I'm not very good at fingerpicking. I can play along with the record up until the point where the guitar starts playing that arpeggiated rhythm, and then goes off on to the solo and the bass picks up the arpeggio. Help me please?

Ummmm.... practice?
Those who have crossed
With direct eyes, to death's other Kingdom
Remember us - if at all - not as lost
Violent souls, but only
As the hollow men
The stuffed men.
...I knew I forgot something. I wanted to ask for ways to improve my picking hand's speed, such as good runs or exercises or something...
Quote by Xodah
Marry me.

Quote by ..NEM..
Awesome nickname, awesome sentence under the nickname and awesome avatar. Awesome opinion too. And awesome quote. I like you.
ooooh the good old spider technique...
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Here's a good idea. Learn all the basic major scale modes. Then go through all of them in a certain key each day. At first, start at 60 bpm and play every mode up and down until you can do it perfectly. Then add on 5 bpm to that. Until you get up around 150 bpm or so.

Just remember. Make sure you can do it PERFECTLY before you continue on. Or else you'd be wasting your time.