In your bands do you have a specific writing duty or is it free for all, any song gets a look? With my friend, what happened was I would come up with all the music and he would take care of the lyrics, which worked for me because I really am private about what I'm thinking. Although I would fill in lines where we were missing words. How do you guys feel about having writing duties?
Currently in blues mode.
In our band, we each write songs separately, but then all get together another time and write ones together. The joint efforts are always better.

...hmm, best not misinterpret that.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
My band's free to all...
Everyone gets a chance to show their creativity...

Although the main lyrics writing job is mine (as i'm the most experienced lyricist!!) and being the "leader" of the band (a band needs one to stay organized!), i mostly finalise the stuff...

But we go though stuff everyone comes up with. Like my bassist writes lyrics too, he even comes up with the guitar stuff. I just mostly write lyrics and manage the band. Oh, and i do the production too...
me and our vocalist usually write the lyrics, while i write the music part of it. but sometimes the other members come up with something.
I as lead vocalist feel odd singing lyrics of the other guys in my band. It is just something that I don't like, because I'm not comfortable with expressing THEIR emotions with MY voice.

Sometimes, though, we do use other people's lyrics because they are just really good.

The one thing I can never do is merge with someone else lyrically. I just feel that a song is about a person's emotions, not just what 2 people think fits, or sounds "Cool." - The fact is, I just can't vent my emotions properly when I'm sitting down with my buddy, I need to be alone in a dark room.
"If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise don't even start..."
Charles Bukowski
free for all for us, but there really is only 2 people who write the songs (me 'n' the lead guitarist) I'm a mediocre lyricist but am the only one in our band capable of writing lyrics that dont sound stupid and I write about 20% of the riffs and our lead guitarist writes the rest of the riffs. I guess our drummer writes all of his own stuff....
i (bassist) writes music and the drummer writes lyrics. then i put it all together
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
My bands kind of weird, I write guitar, lyrics. We have no bass yet *slaps self in face*. Drums I let him figure it out, if it totally changes what I had in mind I tell him what I was thinking.

Been a band for 2 years now.
in my old band it was mostly the lead guitarist and the drummer making music. The singer was solely responsible for lyrics, though occasionally the drummer would give him something. Actually, our most popular song was one that the drumemr wrote. We also had a lot of success with a song the bassist wrote all the music for, but it was one good song in a dozen bad ideas. I didn't do squat in writing. THough i was usually the architect arranging the parts and bridges, song structure stuff.
We have 3 writers in our band..our manager, our lead guitarist, and me the drummer. The bassist, rhythm guitarist, and singer are the "manager"s sons. Generally our manager's songs tend to be very politically influenced, ect. The lead guitarists songs are generally upbeat. My songs are generally dark, very nine inch nails influenced. It doesn't seem like a good mix of styles, but now that we've recorded all our songs it really does fit together pretty well as strange as it seems.
Either 1: the singer comes in with lyrics and 3 powerchords, the drummer does whatever he wants for the most part, and the bassist just follows the guitar.

2: The bassist comes in with notes and lyrics, tells the drummer what to do, but failing.

3: The drummer comes in with chords and lyrics. This is scary for everyone else because they're generally made up of something OTHER than powerchords. 'WTF is a sus2?' 'What's this thingie between the chorus?' 'Why isn't the solo over the verse?' 'can you make it the same but with like, powerchords?'
Quote by entity0009
some retards decided it would be funny to use mental conditions as insults.
We don't have a set way of doing things. The first two songs I wrote riffs for and everything was worked around my guitar, but the third one was written by the bassist/vocalist and the drummer...suffice to say it wasn't as good... I jest, I jest.

They do the vocals because all my lyrics are serious but they don't like that so they do the lyrics...
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
well my band (which has just disbanded due to us heading to uni) I wrote almost all the parts to my songs and there were a few songs written by 2 other guys in the band.

But we were always open to taking songs written by anyone. Everyone contributed to the arrangements of the songs too. It just depends what people are comfortable writing.
My current project is myself on bass and my cousin on guitar - with his brother filling in on keyboards and Hydrogen playing the drums. We start with a riff (which either of us will come up with) and just kind of build on it.

Today's project, "Cowboy," started as a simple power chord riff in E, and then expanded into a six-minute, Pantera-inspired thrash fest with a solid enough groove to get even the neighbor girl's head bobbing in time.

Lyrics will be a joint project between us and whomever gets the vocalist slot.
Quote by Freunleven
My current project is myself on bass and my cousin on guitar - with his brother filling in on keyboards and Hydrogen playing the drums. We start with a riff (which either of us will come up with) and just kind of build on it.

Today's project, "Cowboy," started as a simple power chord riff in E, and then expanded into a six-minute, Pantera-inspired thrash fest with a solid enough groove to get even the neighbor girl's head bobbing in time.

Lyrics will be a joint project between us and whomever gets the vocalist slot.

Your drummer is nicknamed Hydrogen?

That's pretty awesome.

We usually just randomly jam until we find something we like, and the drummer and I primarily write lyrics.
sit down together and make a concept ablum hasnt been a good 1 in awhile
at the moment, i kinda sketch out ideas for a song on Guitar Pro 5. i dont structure it, i just get any and all ideas out for this one song. then i try and see how i can arrange and alter these parts (and i want to try with help) to make a complete song. normally i kinda get stuck and dont know what to do next, and if i force ideas they usually end up not working for the song. so thats where the rest of the band would come in (bass, drums ATM... always looking for new people) and help me out. bass player has a better background in music theory then i do, and neither he nor i can write drum parts to save our lives.

so far, thats my plan... we havent really done anything yet but trade ideas and work on songs we wrote by ourselves.

i seek help when i need it, but my creativity suffers in a group. i just cant think and i feel stifled when others are playing and telling me to play. plus i have to nurse my ego, so i want to think of myself as the center of the project.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
Myself or the bassist usually come in with a nice progression. They progressions are usually only a few chords, but they made of chords like Gmaj9 and such that no one else I personally know can play.

At that point, if I brought in the chords, I would play them through a couple times to make sure he knows what I'm playing and then he makes up a really complicated bassline to go with it and then our drummer jams along.

If he brings in the chords I grab the bass and create very simple, but melodic basslines to accentuate the melody. Then the drummer usually comes in with something a bit more dynamic.

In terms of writing lyrics, I write a lot of songs. I usually bring in songs that have a guitar part and lyrics and then we work over that and change it up a bit and then edit the lyrics. However, lyric writing as a group is much harder for us because we either want to say too much, or don't have enough to say.