My other thread just isn't working. To make this as simple as it gets, I'm going to guitar center This week, and I need amp suggestions. I don't want to spend over $700, I want lots of gain, and I like brighter distortion with more treble than darker bass sounds. As of now, my main idea is a Vox 100 Watt XL And if it helps, I'm playing an Agile AL-3500. (Les Paul style)

Thanks a ton, this is a little urgent.
Pissed.
B-52 AT-212?

Nice sounding, High Gain tube combo. It's $699, but you can probably talk them down a bit on it.
i wouldn't spend that much on the vox if i were you. it's a good practice amp, but it's still just a practice amp.

i didn't get to try the b-52 yet, but it still seems like the most logical amp if you're buying new. check out their used stuff, i find them a lot better than most of their new stuff.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
hmmmm.... well try a line 6 spider 3, i think the 100 or 120 watt combo is about 700. or just get an amp with **** distortion and get a distortion pedal.
equipment

greg beckett les paul(shadow HB in bridge)

crate gt1200 head peavey JSX cab

digitech whammy pedal
Yeah, I forgot to mention to look at used amps at guitar center. They normally have nice used selections. The one around me has a JCM2000 TSL602 combo for $450
Quote by 666DeMoN666
hmmmm.... well try a line 6 spider 3, i think the 100 or 120 watt combo is about 700. or just get an amp with **** distortion and get a distortion pedal.

ahhhhhhhh that'd a horrible waste of $700. stop that.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
ahhhhhhhh that'd a horrible waste of $700. stop that.

haha but it was the only thing i could think of lol plus im poor and have one. so i have to say its a great amp compaired to what i had
equipment

greg beckett les paul(shadow HB in bridge)

crate gt1200 head peavey JSX cab

digitech whammy pedal
ha, yeah i bet it's an improvement from a little starter pack practice amp, but for $700 there's tons of better stuff.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

i feel bad. A store owner almost got me to buy a Line 6, but then some random 30-year olds came in and were all like ew dont buy that piece of ****. So i left. haha.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
I wouldn't consider the B52's to be high gain. They are a little to the right of moderate. Your best money for high gain would be to buy used.
Quote by uldhppi
I wouldn't consider the B52's to be high gain. They are a little to the right of moderate. Your best money for high gain would be to buy used.

+1

B-52's don't feel very modern to me, even after it is hardcore scooped.

I'd go with a used Mesa F series combo.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Erock503
Peavey XXX?

good call, though i haven't tried the b52's.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by 666DeMoN666

Is this guy serious...
not that they are high gain, but and Orange Tiny Terror, could be purchased for less than $700 and would probably sound a lot better than a Line 6.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Hold on just a sec. Out of all these peeps telling you not to get the 100w Valvetronix XL, I honestly wonder how many have tried that amp? How many have tried the Valvetronix XL series period? I own the 30 watt XL and I find the series to be very good amps and seriously far from a practice amp. Just stay away from the 15 watt XL though due to the craptastic speaker. Go for the 100 watt combo and you'll be doing fine.

Do yourself a favor and take your guitar to the store and play every amp you are considering before making a decision. For the money invested, the Valvetronix XL is a potent high gain amp. Your ears and wallet need to make the decision and not some dudes on an internet forum. Sam Ash already has these amps in stock BTW just in case guitar center doesn't have them available like they didn't last week in my area. Make sure you play the amp with the master volume cranked and change the overall output by dialing in the knob on the back that regulates output level. Check out the presets on all the amp models and then push the bypass button to get rid of all the effects to give you an idea of what the amp is capable of sounding like without the effects. Play it as LOUD as you can in the store temporarily to make sure it has the volume you need to cut through. It should be extremely loud when you sweep that knob in the rear of the amp a couple of times.

BTW - I've owned a Peavey XXX and I'd rather have the valvetronix XL over the XXX.
I have not played the XL but have played Valvetronix. The reason some players (including myself) do not recommend a 100 watt are two-fold. First the basic tone of tube combos is vastly superior. Secondly even though they (Vox) have a preamp tube they are no louder (powerful) than a much smaller tube combo, therefore the cost is not justified. Even a lot of Valvetronix fans seem to agree that while they like their Valvetronix amps for practice, they would buy something else, usually tube, for gigging.
My individual opinion is this: I don't like modeling or most digital based effects. I think analog pedals sound way better. I like some solid state amps for practice (Cube, Peavey Transtube) but I would rather have a tube combo for gigging or jamming with a full band.
There are a lot of different opinions on these subjects so take everything you hear on the internet with the proverbial grain of salt. I don't disrespect anyone who doesn't agree with me. We are after all only internet shadows.
Wow thanks a ton everybody. Gr8Scott, you're the biggest help I've ever gotten on this site and I've been getting advice from here for over 2 years. Thank you.

I'll take all this into consideration. Any more suggestions?
Pissed.
Used Peavey XXX or Peavey JSX, maybe?
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Used XXX.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
if you want to buy new I would suggest a B-52, its one of the best amps for the price that can reach the metal level gains on it own. Although in all honesty I have never used any of the peavey's that some people mentioned so i guess i cant really comment.

If you want that great marshall sound and high gain, for metal, or hard rock, i would recommend saving a couple hundred more and getting a JCM 800 or 900. You could get a good used one.
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
What are your guys' thoughts on the Peavey Valveking Series? I tried one out and it sounded pretty awesome. Real loud too. I didn't try it out that much because I don't like playing guitar at GC.
Pissed.
Quote by Gr8Scott
Hold on just a sec. Out of all these peeps telling you not to get the 100w Valvetronix XL, I honestly wonder how many have tried that amp? How many have tried the Valvetronix XL series period? I own the 30 watt XL and I find the series to be very good amps and seriously far from a practice amp. Just stay away from the 15 watt XL though due to the craptastic speaker. Go for the 100 watt combo and you'll be doing fine.

Do yourself a favor and take your guitar to the store and play every amp you are considering before making a decision. For the money invested, the Valvetronix XL is a potent high gain amp. Your ears and wallet need to make the decision and not some dudes on an internet forum. Sam Ash already has these amps in stock BTW just in case guitar center doesn't have them available like they didn't last week in my area. Make sure you play the amp with the master volume cranked and change the overall output by dialing in the knob on the back that regulates output level. Check out the presets on all the amp models and then push the bypass button to get rid of all the effects to give you an idea of what the amp is capable of sounding like without the effects. Play it as LOUD as you can in the store temporarily to make sure it has the volume you need to cut through. It should be extremely loud when you sweep that knob in the rear of the amp a couple of times.

BTW - I've owned a Peavey XXX and I'd rather have the valvetronix XL over the XXX.

wtf? The XL is out? Man i've been living in a hole. i just made my friend buy a vox ad50vt. He's gonna be pissed.

in anycase i have a vox ad30vt. Its a great amp, but not really for distortion. I like that 80's 90's metal sound so its good for me. But once in a while when i want to pretend i'm dimebag darell and just start squealing notes, doing divebombs, and just plain making noise, it doesnt sound good.
"Those with the heart and the brain to get past it can spot a pathetic without even asking" -Phil
Quote by Unofficial
What are your guys' thoughts on the Peavey Valveking Series? I tried one out and it sounded pretty awesome. Real loud too. I didn't try it out that much because I don't like playing guitar at GC.

If you liked the Valveking, try out the Crate V series, they are in the middle between dark and bright distortion.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Quote by panteraddict
wtf? The XL is out? Man i've been living in a hole. i just made my friend buy a vox ad50vt. He's gonna be pissed.

sigged.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Unofficial

I have the valveking 100 watt half stack. personally i love the amp, but i definitely wouldnt consider it high gain. granted, i havent actually gotten the chance to crank the distortion channel past maybe 2 yet, but its more of a moderate distortion (someone once compared it to a Journey-esque distortion, but i dont know if i agree). I use a ds-1 though the clean channel and i get some pretty nice high gain distortion, but if you plan on using it without a pedal you should probably check out something else.
gear:
epiphone g-400
ibanez jk1
fender MIM strat, superstrat switching and hot rails in the bridge

takamine eg 530 sc

peavey 100 vk head w/matching 4x12 cab
planet waves pedal tuner
boss ds-1
morley tremonti power wah
i'd call it medium high gain, it'll get there, but if that's your main concern, there are probably other amps which will do it better. It's a nice, reasonably versatile amp on the cheap, basically. it's high gain compared to amps aimed at, say, blues or classic rock, but not really that high gain compared to something like a 5150, for example.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
sigged.

glad i could help! I wasnt kidding though...
"Those with the heart and the brain to get past it can spot a pathetic without even asking" -Phil
Genz Benz El diablo!!!

or if you want to sound like aWeSoMe cHeCk oUt da mArShalL MG's!

bEsT AAmPs eva!!! lol, just joking.

try the Genz Benz combo's,

however i would go second hand. Maybe a Mesa F30, great metal amps.
Gear.
Peters Chimaira tube amp
Harley Benton 2xv30's
IbanezS470(evo,paf)
Jackson dinky select series USA
ESP LTD EC1000VB
MI audio boostnbuff+crunchbox
Carbon copy MXR + smart gate
Quote by uldhppi
I have not played the XL but have played Valvetronix. The reason some players (including myself) do not recommend a 100 watt are two-fold. First the basic tone of tube combos is vastly superior. Secondly even though they (Vox) have a preamp tube they are no louder (powerful) than a much smaller tube combo, therefore the cost is not justified. Even a lot of Valvetronix fans seem to agree that while they like their Valvetronix amps for practice, they would buy something else, usually tube, for gigging.

Personally my argument against the Valvetronix is that my 120w version just not quite achieve the volume level required of it while still sounding good. If I tried to play at a volume where the guitar could be heard, all I got was noise and feedback. It was excellent for trolling around in my living room, but was sold as soon as I got back into playing with other people.

Back to the main topic, a friend of mine bought a Traynor Custom Special two weeks ago and I got to try it today. Had I known about this before I bought my Soldano I would have saved myself about $1500 (for reference sake it doesn't sound as good as the Decatone, but $1500 is $1500 no matter how you look at it). It's just a touch out of the price range, but may well be worth it.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by panteraddict
glad i could help! I wasnt kidding though...

haha, i know, i just thought it was funny how you "forced" your friend to buy an amp...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i would say the peavy windsor... but i guess im alone in suggesting that...

you could always try to find a used bogner for 700
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by Metal_Injection
Genz Benz El diablo!!

try the Genz Benz combo's,

i would second that