Page 1 of 9
No offense, but I always thought that British, japanese, and latino people had a rather awkward accent but I bet it's because I'm so use to an american accent. My Spanish teacher told me one time about his trip to mexico, he got questions from mexicans like, "Why do you americans talk so fast," or "why do you all look the same?" but that's the same thing I've been thinking about them.

Anyways i'll get to the point. Does anybody that isn't from America or Canada think we have awkward accents?

EDIT: this ones for the latinos and japanese: do americans all look the same to you?
America is very arkward to me, sounds like everything is being emphisied to much compared to UK english
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
Quote by MetalheadA7X
America is very arkward to me, sounds like everything is being emphisied to much compared to UK english

Most of england cant understand Geordie
even within america there are accents. i am from the midwest, and i can pick out accents from around the country, let alone the world.

and i imagine if you think they sound weird or whatever, they prollythink the same about you. you just dont think yousound weird cuz thats how youve spoken your whole life
Quote by Dimebag22
This might just be the smartest guy in The Pit. I didn't believe Ethan when he told me there were smart people in The Pit But I was wrong.

yeah, thats me

member 42 of the Iron Maiden are gods club. PM revelations to join
Quote by GrEgUms1991
No such thing as a British accent.

To you Britians there isn't but to us Canadians there is.
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
People with British accents are so lucky. When they travel to America everyone just assumes they are inteligent people... unless the speak cockney of course...
I think the same way of American accents. It's like a mass of all the parts that other accents didn't want anymore.
I absolutely depise the california "spoilt brat" accent.

Boston accent is awkward, but ok.

At least we can appreciate that other countries have MORE THAN ONE ****ING ACCENT.
Quote by fronkpies

Tell me about it. I'm from Yorkshire, so I'm pretty Northern but I went up to see a mate in Durham (not quite Geordie-land I know) and I was like
Had to really concentrate on what people were saying.

But Yorkshire accent FTW!
And Welsh
and Irish
and Scottish

Quote by uuuuhhhhhhhh
Brits need to learn how to speak proper English.

If you wanna hear English spoken proper, come up to Yorkshire lad.
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
Quote by Dimebag22

To you Britians there isn't but to us Canadians there is.

So you are saying you couldnt tell the difference between a Scottish and English accent??
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
People with British accents are so lucky. When they travel to America everyone just assumes they are inteligent people... unless the speak cockney of course...

haha what about a chav accent? or a ned or a bam i s'pose? i'm american and i can fake a texan, scotish (normal and ned) and brittish accent pretty convincingly. i went to spain and met some british people and starting mimiking their accents and explaining to the americans that its not possible to fake the british accent and they were like "yea yea haha stupid americans can't fake a british accents its to good for you!" then i started using my normal accent :-) pwned!
There are normal sounding american accents.

There are "Californian spoiled brat" accents that DanRev mentioned

There are those hillbilly "I come from Nowhere, Alabama" sort of accents

There's the New Yoik [or is that only in Brooklyn?] accent

And there's everything in between
Quote by DanRev
I absolutely depise the california "spoilt brat" accent.

Boston accent is awkward, but ok.

At least we can appreciate that other countries have MORE THAN ONE ****ING ACCENT.

What if you are a poor Californian like me?
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by Iluvpowerchords

+1
I don't particularly like Southern American accents.

I find the northern-central Americans sound the same as Western Canadians.

I can't be annoyed by British Accents, my mom would beat me. (she is British, should probably spell it mum in case she ever comes across this post).
Quote by uuuuhhhhhhhh
Brits need to learn how to speak proper English.

so do we. the americans.
have u herd the gangster/wiggers talk lately?

drives engish teachers off the f-ing wall.

very few people speak proper english.

proper english is for t3h n00bz!!1!11!!!!11!!!!!!eleven!!!!!
Call me Trey.
I think chicks with french and british accents are hot...
ESP/ltd EC-1000 snow white
ESP/ltd MH-1000NT See Through Blue
Peavey 6505+
Mesa traditional 4x12 (x pattern 2 v30's and 2 g12h30's)
ISP decimator/Tc Electronics Polytune/Ts9 Tubescreamer

Check out my band! www.facebook.com/blackentheskyline
Northern english ftw! even if I am from lancashire and everyone else seems to be from that scumhole people deign to give the name yorkshire.........I cant tell the difference between different american accents but the american accent I hear everything sounds too emphasized and cliched for some reason. Hopwever spanish, mexican, chinese, southern english, german, italian, french almost everything sounds pretty normal to me cause I go to a boarding school full of foreigners so I can't actually hear southern accents anymore, really strong northern accents are ok, but I cant tellthe difference between southern and weak northern accents.
songs: Left Behind choices
Quote by MadClownDisease
Well I can top you all, I've done my mum, my step brother AND a cat. As well as quite a few corpses.
Quote by GrEgUms1991
No such thing as a British accent.

this man speaks the truth

accents are localised to smaller areas than a country
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
after living in germany for 9 years i seem to have lost all distinguishable accent. people can't tell wether i'm from america, britain or australia. one guy even asked me if i was from russia oO (stupid guy)
Quote by fronkpies

It's class man

Best english accent by far like.
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
The British accent is cool!!!

Scottish and Irish accents are cool too...

I can fake all of those accents.. But i sound slightly american... Though i'ld say i've got a normal accent. Its nothing emphasized or anything...

And for american accents,

The New York and Southern (Texan) accents annoy the hell out of me!!
Quote by GrEgUms1991
So you are saying you couldnt tell the difference between a Scottish and English accent??

I'm saying that British people have an accent, when someone from America/Canada is listening. But if a British person is listening, it just sounds normal. Same with Canadians. British people probably think that we have accents but to us we think we don't.
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
Some british accents are pretty cool. I don't know what kind of accent it is, but it's what Daphne from the show Frasier has...
Quote by Dimebag22
I'm saying that British people have an accent, when someone from America/Canada is listening. But if a British person is listening, it just sounds normal. Same with Canadians. British people probably think that we have accents but to us we think we don't.

I think the Brits have an accent...
Although we keeping hearing the English accent all the time here in Ireland...

Not so much the Wales and Scottish...
It's funny, the two strangest accents are 1. English 2. American
Quote by skeptopotamus
Some british accents are pretty cool. I don't know what kind of accent it is, but it's what Daphne from the show Frasier has...

Fake Cockney.

No-one in England has an actual accent like that, sorry to dissapoint you!

The Mancunian accent is beautiful on Women, but makes guys sound like berks, the black girl in Lost that fell from the helicopter, for example.
Quote by Dimebag22

He meant that there is no general British accent.

There are at least 3 accents in London alone, and thats excluding all the accents from foreign countries.
Quote by MetalheadA7X
It's class man

Best english accent by far like.

i love the geordie accent, its incredible.

in glasgow, scotland (which im from) we have quite a weird way of talking. we change the pronunciation of words, so half becomes hawf n even weirder stuff than that lol. we cut down sentences so much man, and some of the slang words are great. but i suppose its the same in a lot of places with a strong accent.

so "could you pass me that over?" becomes "gawny pass us that hing oo'er here?"
I like and hate the British accent. I mean, it sounds cool. But when I hear a British accent, I just wanna punch the guy with the accent (no offense for the brits).
I don't think that the USA accent is weird, but that's probably because I heard it in the movies all my life.

And by the way, EVERYONE has accents. It's just the way you pronunce words.
Your accent may not sound weird for you or your friends because you used it all your life and are used to it. But if someone not from your zone hears it, it'll sound weird.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Aug 27, 2007,
Here's something interesting I've noticed:

If you learn english outside of the UK, Ireland, New Zealand or 'Stralia, you'll end up speaking with an american accent.

When I was 4 years old, my family moved to london. I attended pre-school there for 2 years. At first I spoke with a london accent.

Now I'm 16 and people ask if I'm American or Canadian. I'm not complaining, but how the **** did that happen?

I blame MTV

EDIT: I'm russian, by the way. If that makes a difference.
Americans have a theory called the "British accent" but its just one of those posh, queen's english ones.

NO ONE SPEAKS LIKE THAT HERE!

Britain =
Scotland-Scottish accent
Wales- Welsh accent
etc
You get my point.
Hey Meg.
Proud of you.
Quote by DanRev
He meant that there is no general British accent.

There are at least 3 accents in London alone, and thats excluding all the accents from foreign countries.

Yeah, and the Cockney accent annoys me the most.

Meh.

I get called posh.

nope. I just talk correctly. lmao.
Well whad'ya know, it's a female on UG. D:

Shine On, Cast A Shadow.

Quote by hugh20
i love me some fundie christian gayboys

Quote by sglover34479
<3 You = smart.