What are the "qualifications" of how well you play/grades/how much you know about music for Berklee. The only way I'd go to Berklee is if I got some type of scholarship type thing, but thats not what this question is about. Generally how good do you have to be to just get in the place?

I'm going in 10th grade, and 11th is when you wanna be looking for colleges I think. So i'm just wondering....

thanks
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Where do you live? Canada has its own grading system for music. Here, grade 8 is the bare minimum to get in to post-secondary music school.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Admissions to berklee usually doesn't have much to do with talent, as long as you have the basic skills you'll get accepted. Now, what they really care about is how big your wallet is

The only part where real talent comes in is when you go for scholarships, but there are way to many variables to predict how good you'd have to be.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
Quote by VR2005
Admissions to berklee usually doesn't have much to do with talent, as long as you have the basic skills you'll get accepted. Now, what they really care about is how big your wallet is

The only part where real talent comes in is when you go for scholarships, but there are way to many variables to predict how good you'd have to be.

guess i'll have to try to bring my grades up some haha.
But if you had to pick a line that they'd never go under skill wise/theory knowledge for scholarships, what do you think that line would be?
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

I don't think there is anyway I can thoroughly answer this, but I imagine something like basic chord theory, knowledge of intervals, a good repertoire, knowledge of harmonic minor melodic minor, major, minor, diminished, and whole tone scales. Also a good knowledge of how to play these in any position along with arpeggios at atleast like 150 bpm using 8th notes.

I think with all of that you should be set and ready to utilize the information that they set in front of you during classes.

Quote by VR2005
I don't think there is anyway I can thoroughly answer this, but I imagine something like basic chord theory, knowledge of intervals, a good repertoire, knowledge of harmonic minor melodic minor, major, minor, diminished, and whole tone scales. Also a good knowledge of how to play these in any position along with arpeggios at atleast like 150 bpm using 8th notes.

I think with all of that you should be set and ready to utilize the information that they set in front of you during classes.

hmmm
Basic chord theory check(probally more like intermediate )
Interval knowledge check
repertoire of stuff check

I only know the keys, C, D, E, F, G, A, major all over the neck and all the chords in them, also all the modes in them. Guess I should probally learn some more scales haha

thanks
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Learn where all the notes are on the fretboard and memorize them. Focus on guitar technique and study theory separately.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
Learn where all the notes are on the fretboard and memorize them. Focus on guitar technique and study theory separately.

I've known all the notes on the fretboard for like 2 years haha.
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by feltgrape
I've known all the notes on the fretboard for like 2 years haha.

So then you must know every major scale.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
So then you must know every major scale.

I could really just figure out every major scale and write it down in like 2 minutes. But when I say know, I mean like, can flawlessly play up and down the fretboard in every spot on the guitar doing every possible thing I can think of. I just havent put in much effort yet to learning them all as I havent had to use them yet in my band.

But now i'm gonna try to learn them all
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

^Oh yeah, Darthie is completely right. SIGHT READING IS HUGE!!!

If you want to get into any good ensembles learn to sight read at as high of a proficiency as you can manage in the time between now and college. A few books to pick up:

1. If you don't know the staff and have no idea how to read start with those William Leavitt Method Books from Berklee.

2. If you have an idea how to read, you just can't sight read well then I suggest you pick up atleast 2 of these 3 books:

i. Melodic Rhythms for Guitar from Berklee
ii. Reading Studies for Guitar from Berklee
iii. Melodic Studies and Compositions for Guitar by Fred Hamilton

I especially found i. and iii. to be insanely helpful in advancing my reading. Also, just find music and read it everyday without stopping to fix mistakes. This is big, do not go back and fix things, just keep reading and read new material every day never repeating any material that you've used.