I have not been on an airplane in ..... going on 10 years now.

In December I might be going to Newfoundland and that is an indirect 13 hour flight more or less. (Heathrow to Toronto to Halifax to Deer Lake). What can or cant I take on board with me? Would I be able to listen to an MP3 player? Can I use a laptop?

For those in England, what can I carry on to the aircraft (going from Heathrow)... I want to carry a bottle of water and maybe some fizzy drink like cola or something. Is that allowed?

For those in Canada, are there any restrictions at Canadian airports should I want to bring over some stuff from England? The friend Im staying with wants me to take over some drinks you cant get in Canada because they arent manufactured there.

Whilst in Canada, can I drive if I have a British Driving license?
What are the speed limits in residential areas, highways and country roads in Canada?
What is the typical car rental price?
How much money should I carry?
How expensive is Newfoundland/Canada in comparison to London? (Bottle of Coke here is like just over $2 CAD)

Um... Thats about it I think.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
I think maple syrup is the canadian currency, bring a couple of bottles.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
You can take Mp3's and laptops and stuff from Heathrow I believe, but I think any drinks you take on you have to have bought after you've checked in and stuff, you can't have anything on your person that's more than 100mls I think, unless you get it after check-in.
Quote by Kensai
I think maple syrup is the canadian currency, bring a couple of bottles.

When my friend came over this Summer I made that joke... She shot me the most evil glare ever!
Quote by Guitardude19

When my friend came over this Summer I made that joke... She shot me the most evil glare ever!

Joke...?
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by chocolateman900
You can take Mp3's and laptops and stuff from Heathrow I believe, but I think any drinks you take on you have to have bought after you've checked in and stuff, you can't have anything on your person that's more than 100mls I think, unless you get it after check-in.

Well thats a tad stupid... I need to take over 4 - 6 2 liter bottles of Fanta.....

Quote by Kensai
Joke...?

Lets see.... What did I call her all the times she was here:

- Moose shagger
- Maple Monkey
- Seal pup clubber..

I accused her of single handedly killing thousands of seal pups, drinking maple syrup like it was water.... And accusing her of shagging a moose....

And I still got laid by her
Quote by Guitardude19
Well thats a tad stupid... I need to take over 4 - 6 2 liter bottles of Fanta.....

- Moose shagger
- Maple Monkey
- Seal pup clubber..

I accused her of single handedly killing thousands of seal pups, drinking maple syrup like it was water.... And accusing her of shagging a moose....

dude they have fanta in canada... unless I misunderstood your question.. then im an r-tard
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
Well there'll be loads of shops and things in the airport after Check-in where you can buy it, it's just 'cause of those pesky terrorists.
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
dude they have fanta in canada... unless I misunderstood your question.. then im an r-tard

Well... When my friend was over here this summer... She never had Fanta before because they dont have it in Newfoundland according to her... Shes hooked on the stuff and wants me to take some over.
oh newfoundland.. i dunno they have it in toronto/oakville
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
You can't take in more than 100ml or 100g of liquids - you have to buy them in the airport. MP3 players, GameBoys, phones you can take - obviously you can't have the phone on.
Quote by Guitardude19

- Moose shagger
- Maple Monkey
- Seal pup clubber..

You my friend are a HERO!
On an unrelated topic (sorry thread starter) what course are you studying at Surrey?! I realy wana do the tonmeister (music tech and sound recording) course there! Whats the uni like speaking as sum1 who goes there right now..lol

chaars
Gibson, Martin, Orange, Apple.
as for speed limits it all depends on the location, residential is usually 40-50 km/h, highway is from 80-100km/h, country roads from 60-80km/h, for cash it depends, are you gonna wanna be buying lots of stuff? or just to get you by day to day, i couldn't really tell you, a bottle of pop thast 590ml can be anywhere from $1.50-2.10 depending on the location you buy, and i don't know the rental car price, but i'm sure it depends on teh vehicle greatly
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Quote by maisey ferret
On an unrelated topic (sorry thread starter) what course are you studying at Surrey?! I realy wana do the tonmeister (music tech and sound recording) course there! Whats the uni like speaking as sum1 who goes there right now..lol

chaars

dude you had your SG stolen???
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

PROFANER
I've travelled on a good loads of short flights to uk this year...

Anyway,

You can't take any liquids in containers more than 100ml.
They give you a lil 1l plastic bag, you'll need to put all the items that contain liquids in that and put it separate during the check-in.

You can carry laptop, mp3 players and all. Just no sharp objects.

And DON'T put any liquid item in yer hand bag. If you do, they'll make you open yer handbag at the check-in and check everything in there.
Saw it happening to loads of people in there and my friend who forgot to put his bottle of perfume in the plastic bag.

Apart from that it should all be cool...

They'll make you take your belt and shoes off though...
Quote by maisey ferret

chaars

Im studying Chemistry at Surrey.

The uni is awesome, the campus is spread out and the people are really friendly and nice. The music course you want to do is really good, a friend of mine is on it and he really enjoys it and would recommend it.

We have our own nightclub on campus which is a really good place to get pussy, also the campus is 10-15 minutes away from the town center... Where all the pubs and clubs are. The train station is like 5 minutes walk away, we have several bus routes going through campus too.

I really like it at this place. If you are going to go, try and get accommodation in Twyford Court... Its like the best place to live in! En suite showers, large room... What more could you want lol! Kitchens shared though.

If you have specific questions PM me or something and I ll do my best to answer.

Quote by af_the_fragile
I've travelled on a good loads of short flights to uk this year...

Anyway,

You can't take any liquids in containers more than 100ml.
They give you a lil 1l plastic bag, you'll need to put all the items that contain liquids in that and put it separate during the check-in.

You can carry laptop, mp3 players and all. Just no sharp objects.

And DON'T put any liquid item in yer hand bag. If you do, they'll make you open yer handbag at the check-in and check everything in there.
Saw it happening to loads of people in there and my friend who forgot to put his bottle of perfume in the plastic bag.

Apart from that it should all be cool...

They'll make you take your belt and shoes off though...

Thanks dude.

Sounds like so much hassle as well....
Last edited by Guitardude19 at Aug 27, 2007,
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
dude you had your SG stolen???

NEVER leave your SG at school in the store cupboard.

Stil i got a lovely payout from the insurnace ppl's. Buying a new 1 now.
Either the faded brown as before. Or mayb the new 2007 model with 3 humbuckers. Yet to decide (y)
Quote by maisey ferret
NEVER leave your SG at school in the store cupboard.

Stil i got a lovely payout from the insurnace ppl's. Buying a new 1 now.
Either the faded brown as before. Or mayb the new 2007 model with 3 humbuckers. Yet to decide (y)

lol its good that youre getting a new one

but if i had an SG, i would cut off the arms of anyone who looked at it... let alone tried to steal it
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

PROFANER
you can bring electronics on board. they might tell you to turn them off while take off and landing... which i'm told by a pilot is bull****, having a lap top on while a plane is landing wont affect it in anyway.
Wanta Fanta, Donch you wanta? Wanta Fanta? Donch you wanta? You look hot in that hat so furry, you need Fanta in a hurry! Wanta Fanta? Donch you wanna?
you're fine to use mp3's and your laptop, as far as I know (from the Canadian side, at least), you can't bring liquids on to the plane unless you buy them on the plane or past the security checkpoint. As for bringing drinks over for friends, if they sell it at the duty-free shop (or tax-free shop or whatever), you'd be able to bring it over on the plane, or if you just bring it in to the airport, you can probably only try wrapping it up real tight and sticking it with the rest of your non carry-on luggage.
Driving in Canada: you can get an international driver's permit, but I don't know where to get one. Residential areas usually have a speed limit anywhere between 40 and 60 km/h, country roads with nothing around them are mostly 80 km/h (but you can usually get away with around 90/100, and highways are 100 km/h.
I have no idea what rental prices are for cars... look it up...
And the price comparison is really good from your point of view. I'm actually on vacation in London at the moment, and for the most part, if something costs $2 CAD for me normally, it'll be like 2 pounds here, so when you're in Canada, you'll see the same numbers for prices, but it'll really only cost you about half.
Hope that helps, and have fun on your trip
you can't have anything on your person that's more than 100mls

You can have no creams, lotions, water, liquid of any kind more than 100ml in quantity on your person (including carry-on bags) when you go through security.
You can keep it in your bigger luggage bag though.

(i realize people have already said liquids, i just wanted to clarify that this is cream&lotion&mayonnaise included.)
"Wild horses couldnt drag me away...
Quote by ChaoticVengence
as for speed limits it all depends on the location, residential is usually 40-50 km/h, highway is from 80-100km/h, country roads from 60-80km/h, for cash it depends, are you gonna wanna be buying lots of stuff? or just to get you by day to day, i couldn't really tell you, a bottle of pop thast 590ml can be anywhere from $1.50-2.10 depending on the location you buy, and i don't know the rental car price, but i'm sure it depends on teh vehicle greatly

Day to day spending and a few presents. Im guessin $1000 CAD could last me 3 weeks right?
my friend being a stupid rebel had his phone switched on all throughout the flight...
And nothing happened!!

And loads of time i listen to my ipod on the plane...
Quote by Guitardude19
We have our own nightclub on campus which is a really good place to get pussy

HAha. Good to see you've got the right mind set then!

I went to austria few weeks ago and even though its stil in the EU the restrictions are realy tight! Its just alot easier to take nothing through security and buy it from the shops on the other side.

Remember though. The shops may be Tax Free. But they arent Profit Free! The shops make more profit buying selling it at only a small amount below normal and make more profit per item.
Quote by af_the_fragile
my friend being a stupid rebel had his phone switched on all throughout the flight...
And nothing happened!!

And loads of time i listen to my ipod on the plane...

My phone has a flight mode so I can put it on that and all radio frequencies are shut off and the phone can only be used as an MP3 player... God bless the man who invented the 4 gig memory chip and nokia 6300!
Quote by Guitardude19
My phone has a flight mode so I can put it on that and all radio frequencies are shut off and the phone can only be used as an MP3 player... God bless the man who invented the 4 gig memory chip and nokia 6300!

Yup, i put my phone on flight mode too...

Its just my friend had it like switched on on normal mode all throughout the flight...

And i need to get that 4gb memory chip too!!
Quote by af_the_fragile
Yup, i put my phone on flight mode too...

Its just my friend had it like switched on on normal mode all throughout the flight...

And i need to get that 4gb memory chip too!!

£39.99 at Carphone Warehouse.

Pretty cheap!
You can buy any size of liquid on the post-security side of the airport. Bring books too for the long flight.
Lets All Goto Mars: The I The FLAMING LIPS Club
I'm pretty sure your not allowed liquids because everything is a bomb these days apparently.

Besides, i've heard mountain dew is tasty, so get hooked on it and then come back and complain that you miss it.
Currently attempting to learn: The Dissentience by Protest The Hero in it's entirety.
Quote by daft
You can buy any size of liquid on the post-security side of the airport. Bring books too.

Books are a given... I dont know what to read though....

A pick between 1984 (never read it, been told its good) and Harry Potter 7....
Get house of leaves....

Or The Book Thief....
Thats what i got at the airport when i was waiting for my flight to Scotland earlier this year...
yes
yes (under 100ml in a >1L re-sealable bag, and must be unopend)
you should be able to. check the web-site.
i believe you need an international drivers liscence.
30,110,80-100km/h(it varies)
sorry, dont know. not too bad though
about 50 dollars (depends what you want to do)
in canada things will be about 3/4 the price, gas will be 1/2 the price.

you are going in december? be prepared...
sup?
Last edited by ldl67 at Aug 27, 2007,
Quote by af_the_fragile
Get house of leaves....

Or The Book Thief....
Thats what i got at the airport when i was waiting for my flight to Scotland earlier this year...

Book Thief is a hell of a good book. I read it on the way out to Portugal and whilst I was there. Great for planes and cars!