Page 3 of 39
Not that i have one but heres a picture of one that we used when my band recorded our demo!

Its the Invader 150 mmm mmm mmm
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, i have.

for other options, i mean things like vht, soldano, splawn, bogner, rivera, mesa etc. etc. etc.

Your opinion, Dave--let me hear it!

I've tried that new 2343 channeled vht--really didn't like the sound of it. It just sounded too raw/dry. The Jcm 800 Kerry King Head sounded much better, in my opinion.

So for brutal rythym chunks and great leads/good cleans, what would you recommend out of the soldano, splawn, bogner, and rivera?

Thanks Dave.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
^I know that question was directed to Dave, i'll put my input in however, because im bored hah.

I would look into Soldano's Avenger/SLO
Splawn Nitro
Bogner Uberschall
Rivera Knuckelhead

Dave will probably give better advice but thats my 2 cents haha
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
UG Gain Whore
In the price range between 1,400 and 1,700 USD ._.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
In the price range between 1,400 and 1,700 USD ._.

I would look into ENGL's Fireball. If you could stretch out another 200, you could go for a Powerball.
-Peavey 6505+
UG Gain Whore
ENGL build quality is supposed to be fantastic. anyone here have any trouble with them yet?
Last edited by egildea at May 27, 2008,
Just got myself a engl classic combo 2x10". Fantastic amp. love the sound. got a gt8 (the wankatron) and I just reduce the level of it to virtually nothing and then drive the valves of the engl up to near max power and the sound is the best sound ive got. ive previously owned fender twin, marshall mg100dfx, crappy solid state fender amps. Its as lively and reactive a sound as Ive ever got and soooo close to my ideal sound. still gonna try a hot rod deville in a few years though. havent tried the fx loop, nor the second channel. dont need to. keep it simple stupid. spose its a pity that ive introduced the wankatron into the equation. my guitars are G&L Legacy, Gibson ES347, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster. The G&L has the best sound of all, well, its a close second to the ES347.
Quote by Jinskee
Your opinion, Dave--let me hear it!

I've tried that new 2343 channeled vht--really didn't like the sound of it. It just sounded too raw/dry. The Jcm 800 Kerry King Head sounded much better, in my opinion.

So for brutal rythym chunks and great leads/good cleans, what would you recommend out of the soldano, splawn, bogner, and rivera?

Thanks Dave.

jerm already posted some good options, though some might be too dear.

fireball is probably worth a look for that. problem is a lot of the high gain amps mightn't have too nice cleans, and the ones with nice cleans mightn't have as good distortion... it's kind of a balancing act. for example, if you ask me, the soldano avenger sounds better than the fireball, but doesn't have the fireball's cleans... i haven't tried the uberschall, nitro or rivera...

blackmore versus fireball: the blackmore covers more ground, but doesn't get as heavy or modern-sounding as the fireball (which is pretty much cleans and modern metal without much in-between).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by Dave_Mc
jerm already posted some good options, though some might be too dear.

fireball is probably worth a look for that. problem is a lot of the high gain amps mightn't have too nice cleans, and the ones with nice cleans mightn't have as good distortion... it's kind of a balancing act. for example, if you ask me, the soldano avenger sounds better than the fireball, but doesn't have the fireball's cleans... i haven't tried the uberschall, nitro or rivera...

blackmore versus fireball: the blackmore covers more ground, but doesn't get as heavy or modern-sounding as the fireball (which is pretty much cleans and modern metal without much in-between).
Dave is right. You need to figure out what you want to sacrifice. Either you get a good around amp that does everything decently, or you get an amazing with amazing cleans and distortion but everything else in the middle is so-so.
-Peavey 6505+
UG Gain Whore
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Hey guys. Sorry to interrupt the debate, but I came across an Engl Straight model, and I haven't been able to find much information about it anywhere. I read the manual on Engl's site, and read the few reviews they had on Harmony Central, but I've never heard of anyone using it. Have any of you guys heard it or used it before? Any information would be appreciated. Thank you!
I asked in the ENGL forum, and i got this answer:

"Herman Frank(Accept, Victory, Sinner...) used it during his Victory days alot.
STRAIGHT ENGL sound, maybe more in the ENGL Blackmore area.
It sounds like a really good(!) tuned Soldano SLO, or a modded(to the limit) JCM800.
Listen to the Victory stuff (Rhythm parts)."

Sounds like it'll be a nice amp!
if it's anything like a blackmore, it's probably pretty nice. not too sure how much it's like the slo (i've only tried the avenger), but a modded jcm800 isn't far off (for the blackmore).
Ahoy there, I'm afraid i come with questions for you lucky Engl owners.

I've got my sights set on an ENGL as my next purchase, probably in a month or 2, depending on exactly which i decide to buy. At the moment, i only play for fun or recording, alone, so when i noticed that the E530 is well within my budget, i figured it would be a good idea, as i wouldn't have to worry about the space taken up by a cab (i'm at uni) or volume, and then only investing in a poweramp and cab when i actually need it. But i've started to wonder, might i be better off saving up more money and getting a head/cab or a combo instead? My bank account makes me tend towards the preamp, but would it really be the best choice?

I'm after something that can cover 'decent' (as in, not 'bad') cleans, and distorted tones from 80's metal (Rust In Piece, Powerslave) through to completely saturated new millenium power metal tones (think Sonata Arctica, Hammerfall) which are fairly bright, but also handle darker tones (tho not much, think Nightwish, or Demons & Wizards). Will the E530 do all that i need, and if something else would be a better investment, what would you guys recommend?
Yea. I took a chance and bought the amp for only 470 including shipping and handling (USD). I guess not many people bid on it because they hadn't heard of it. Sounds like it'll be pretty sweet. If not, I'm sure I can find someone who will want it. It was originally worth 1200 apparently, so I think I can get some money out of it if I don't like it for some reason. I'm expecting to like it though. Thanks for the help!
i have the E530 and have coupled it with a vht 2502.

the E530 will get you all of your metals tones you need. It has so much gain. I never put mine higher than 3!

Also the E530 gives you pretty good results if you want to do some direct recording. I'll upload a clip if you want me to.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Thanks Jerm and Dave.

Aye, I hate having to sacrfice things! Is the fireball able to produce good lead tones, though? That's what I'm mainly worried about. Also, people have been comparing the Fireball to the 5150--what's up with that?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Hey guys,
What do you think of the thunder 50 watt head ?
I'd be using it for Modern Metal (god forbid, as i lay dying, unearth) and also some old school melodic death metal. I also like cleans but they don't really need to be anything special. The crunch channel will almost never get used.
So how would it be for the things I'm after ?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by elchico04
i have the E530 and have coupled it with a vht 2502.

the E530 will get you all of your metals tones you need. It has so much gain. I never put mine higher than 3!

Also the E530 gives you pretty good results if you want to do some direct recording. I'll upload a clip if you want me to.

A clip would be awesome, i've never heard it direct before
i have a thunder 50 combo reverb as my first tube amp.

i asked the guitar sales rep to "find me an amp to match my dinky" and he brought that beast to me

i'm quite satisfied about the sound, but bear in mind that it's my first tube amp (upgrading from solid state). too bad i can't crank it up in my bedroom

anyway, the downside to the amp is that it has only 1 volume knob and 1 master volume knob. the non-reverb version gets an extra volume knob.

it also didnt ship with a pedal so keep that in mind when buying
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
No Pedal ?
How much are the pedals ?
And your only quite satisfied... What aspects of your tone are you not happy with ?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
No Pedal ?
How much are the pedals ?
And your only quite satisfied... What aspects of your tone are you not happy with ?

the footswitches vary in price range, Engl Z3 is around 30 euro and Engl Z4 is +-77 euro. the manual recommended the Z4.

the sound of my palm muting is a bit dull. could be my settings or guitar tho
i'll try and mess around with the settings, currently i have on lead channel:
gain 7/10
bass 8/10
mid 4/10
treble 7/10
Main gear
  • ESP Eclipse II Standard (BK Cold Sweat)
  • ESP Horizon NT-II Standard (SD '59/JB)
  • Marshall JVM 410 Combo
I feel like most engl users who only need a 1 or 2 button switch should just build their own or buy one from a different company because they are extremely overpriced for what they are.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
yeah, i have a couple of the z3s and they're really, well, cheap. except they aren't cheap to buy. you know what i mean.

Wow, the owner of this one local shop said that he can sell me the fireball for 1,100 USD new. o_o

I'll have to pre-order it, though. Sadly, I won't be able to try it before buying it. D:

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
that's a very good price. did it fall off the back of a lorry? are you sure it's not ex-demo or something like that?
ex-demo?

And no, he said that the "stree price" for the fireball is around 1,200, and he said that he can take off 100.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
ex-demo?

And no, he said that the "stree price" for the fireball is around 1,200, and he said that he can take off 100.

Usually I see them for 1,400, but I could be wrong. I think by ex-demo he meant a floor model or something. If its coming new though then thats a pretty nice deal.

Congrats and let us know when you get it
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by thefrigginbob
Usually I see them for 1,400, but I could be wrong. I think by ex-demo he meant a floor model or something. If its coming new though then thats a pretty nice deal.

Thanks man. Yeah, I started flipping out when he said 1,100.

I'm still not sure whether or not I want to get the fireball, though. I like having a lot of gain, but not to the point where all you hear is just muddy mush, you know?

I'm a fan of crushing palm mutes, but I'm also a fan of lead tones from Gilbert, Vai, Govan, and this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6S4IISaq64

From what I know, they don't use all that much gain, but they have that "effects" essence with their tone (excluding Govan and Gilbert).

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee

I'm still not sure whether or not I want to get the fireball, though. I like having a lot of gain, but not to the point where all you hear is just muddy mush, you know?

I'm a fan of crushing palm mutes, but I'm also a fan of lead tones from Gilbert, Vai, Govan, and this guy

From what I know, they don't use all that much gain, but they have that "effects" essence with their tone (excluding Govan and Gilbert).

The fireball should suit you I think, I've only played one briefly though.

You could always get a Screamer 50, I can't plug this amp enough. I looooooove mine.

Either way though, you can't go wrong with an ENGL. Their build quality is amazing, they sound is even better. The only model I have tried that I'm not a personal fan of is the powerball.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
The screamer sounds interesting. How did you like the fireball? And what about the powerball did you not like?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
I liked the fireball quite a bit, I think. This was a little while ago so I can't remember EXACTLY. I ended up choosing the screamer because there are 4 channels(sort of, there are 2 with 2 gain modes on each) it has reverb built in and I wanted to just get a combo.

The powerball was a more modern voiced I thought. I just didn't dig the sound and for the price I would rather get the Blackmore... Although I have to say I did not actually get a chance to play it myself... someone was on it the entire time I was at the shop and I havn't been since. I could be wrong, Im not an ENGL expert, just a huge fan.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Awesome-thanks man.

Well, I'm really considering to get the fireball now. :P

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Savage 120

I'm still waiting around for the day Dave decides to sell his Savage SE. It's been 3 going on 4 years though, he just isn't cooperating.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
^ yeah, the SE is great, it's just so expensive... it's a little more versatile than my savage se, but not enough so for being almost double the price mine was, you know?
Quote by Jinskee
ex-demo?

ex-demonstration, one used at the shop for test-drives, or maybe at music shows like namm...

rock solid seems to be selling the fireball for $1400... so i guess that's not too far off. still does sound like a decent price, though.

Quote by thefrigginbob

aye, that's what i meant.

Quote by Jinskee

nice tone, reminds me a bit of andy timmons. I'd be looking at a blackmore for that type of tone (assuming you can't stretch to a savage or se, lol).

Quote by Erock503
Savage 120

I'm still waiting around for the day Dave decides to sell his Savage SE. It's been 3 going on 4 years though, he just isn't cooperating.

not gonna happen, man.

you know that tone jin linked to on youtube? all you have to do on mine to get that is hit the "smooth" button on either of the two higher gain channels, and it's there. you barely even have to bother dialling the thing in...

Quote by Dave_Mc
not gonna happen, man.

you know that tone jin linked to on youtube? all you have to do on mine to get that is hit the "smooth" button on either of the two higher gain channels, and it's there. you barely even have to bother dialling the thing in...

hehe, I thought I saw you almost considering it at one point when you had the itch for something new, seems that g.a.s. mood has passed now, damn.

Those things are so rare, I don't think I've seen one on the market since I saw yours on these boards. Nice amp brudda.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I <3 my screamer combo, it's absolutely perfect for me. I love the versatility, and how it still sounds great at very low volumes. I don't need crushing death metal tones, so I don't care if it isn't br00tal enough for some people here - it can still definitely "do metal". And the clean channel is sexual.