Page 4 of 39
So... I'm now an owner of an ENGL Straight head. I honestly haven't heard it yet because it is a discontinued model and seems to be pretty rare, but for the price I got it, it was a steal! I'll definitely post a review when I get it, but that might take a while, since I have to wait for the cab too Oh well, rock on ENGL users!
I bought an ENGL off ebay a couple of weeks ago which should be here this weeks. Clips and pics soon
Quote by Erock503

hehe, I thought I saw you almost considering it at one point when you had the itch for something new, seems that g.a.s. mood has passed now, damn.

Those things are so rare, I don't think I've seen one on the market since I saw yours on these boards. Nice amp brudda.

yeah, they do seem pretty rare. I just got extremely lucky (i noticed it on ebay, and to be honest at that time i never checked ebay, ever, just for some reason got the feeling i should do it that day...) and got in when beyers had got them to produce one final batch (for cheap) before they were discontinued... i think one or two dudes on HC used to have them, but i'm not sure if they sold them or not.

i was never really considering changing the engl... just i wouldn't say no to more amps... but the engl does so many styles of music well that it'd be daft to get rid of it, in my current situation anyway. i mean, for example, a cornford would probably do the cornford tone better, but wouldn't be as versatile. maybe when i have several different amps... but don't hold your breath!

Quote by DarkPsychedelia
So... I'm now an owner of an ENGL Straight head. I honestly haven't heard it yet because it is a discontinued model and seems to be pretty rare, but for the price I got it, it was a steal! I'll definitely post a review when I get it, but that might take a while, since I have to wait for the cab too Oh well, rock on ENGL users!

sweet, i'd be interested to hear what that's like!

Quote by david_safc
Blackmore

awesome! \m/
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, they do seem pretty rare. I just got extremely lucky (i noticed it on ebay, and to be honest at that time i never checked ebay, ever, just for some reason got the feeling i should do it that day...) and got in when beyers had got them to produce one final batch (for cheap) before they were discontinued... i think one or two dudes on HC used to have them, but i'm not sure if they sold them or not.

i was never really considering changing the engl... just i wouldn't say no to more amps... but the engl does so many styles of music well that it'd be daft to get rid of it, in my current situation anyway. i mean, for example, a cornford would probably do the cornford tone better, but wouldn't be as versatile. maybe when i have several different amps... but don't hold your breath!

haha, yeah, I've almost given up on calling dibs, I have a feeling you are going to be buried with that amp, lol. I can't blame you, something that unique is fun just to hang onto for braggin rights alone, not even considering the unique tone, lol. I've kept my eye out, but haven't seen any at all. You need to get a real mic and a recording setup Dave, I really want to hear some actual clips of this amp. You're a really good player man, you need to make some clips that aren't on a computer mic, that thing would sound fantastic.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by TheShred201
According To The House Of Engl Amps, the Engl E656 Steve Morse Heqd, available in late spring/early summer, will be $2599, and the raider 100 Combo will be $1954

Thanks man. I was wondering about that Raider 100. I can't wait to try it out.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by Erock503
haha, yeah, I've almost given up on calling dibs, I have a feeling you are going to be buried with that amp, lol. I can't blame you, something that unique is fun just to hang onto for braggin rights alone, not even considering the unique tone, lol. I've kept my eye out, but haven't seen any at all. You need to get a real mic and a recording setup Dave, I really want to hear some actual clips of this amp. You're a really good player man, you need to make some clips that aren't on a computer mic, that thing would sound fantastic.

cheers eric, i really appreciate that!

problem is, any time i think of buying a recording setup, i think, "you know, i could buy another guitar for that..." so the recording setup goes out the window, lol.

and you're right, another reason not to get rid of it is that it'd be so hard to find one again... not to mention, i might even end up having to pay more for a second-hand one than i had to for my new one!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have found a cheap ENGL Blackmore with hughes and kettner custom cab with v30's.
This will take up every single cent in my bank account and I'll have to sell my sg, mg and zoom to help out. I really want this amp to last me 2 years+.
I play melodic death metal, some newer thrash and the occasional modern rock or indie. Does this amp absolutly slay everything else I could get for under $1600 second hand aus ?
I won't have money to buy an OD for probably a month after the purchase but I have a 7 band EQ and a Noise Gate already.

So how does the blackmore go for modern metal ?
And will it sound good with V30's ?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
If i get a Engl Thunder head, would it be able to work with a Roland Cube 60 SOLID STATE combo until i can get a cab?
Quote by howey
I have found a cheap ENGL Blackmore with hughes and kettner custom cab with v30's.
This will take up every single cent in my bank account and I'll have to sell my sg, mg and zoom to help out. I really want this amp to last me 2 years+.
I play melodic death metal, some newer thrash and the occasional modern rock or indie. Does this amp absolutly slay everything else I could get for under $1600 second hand aus ?
I won't have money to buy an OD for probably a month after the purchase but I have a 7 band EQ and a Noise Gate already.

So how does the blackmore go for modern metal ?
And will it sound good with V30's ?

should sound ok with v30s. should do ok for modern metal, but it is more of an 80s metal amp.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Would I definately get a modern metal tone with an OD ?
This next amp purcahse is going to have to last me ages and I want to get something that will satisfy my metal tastes.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
i'm not certain, i haven't tried it with a boost. you might be better off with an EQ (which i haven't tried it with either). you should be able to get a metal tone ok... just whether or not it's exactly to your taste, that's the problem. fwiw, the blackmore is my favourite of the non-mentally-priced engls.

best if you can try it, i guess.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'm not certain, i haven't tried it with a boost. you might be better off with an EQ (which i haven't tried it with either). you should be able to get a metal tone ok... just whether or not it's exactly to your taste, that's the problem. fwiw, the blackmore is my favourite of the non-mentally-priced engls.

best if you can try it, i guess.

Yeah well I'be seen people offer him 3 channel recto's and 6505's for it so I guess if I'm not happy with it I'll try and trade for one of those.
I'm not really into the mesa tone but a 3 channel recto at $1600 Aus is an insane deal, should I get it anyway ?
The 6505 is the amp I want but .... 3 channel recto!
Descions Descions
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
Yeah well I'be seen people offer him 3 channel recto's and 6505's for it so I guess if I'm not happy with it I'll try and trade for one of those.
I'm not really into the mesa tone but a 3 channel recto at $1600 Aus is an insane deal, should I get it anyway ?
The 6505 is the amp I want but .... 3 channel recto!
Descions Descions

In my opinion recto's blow.. low end is really loose and it sounds really compressed. 6505's wipe the floor with them for high gain.

Well I need some help from you ENGL keen people. I'm gonna have like $2,500, maybe more and I've sort of set myself on an ENGL or Cobra, so I need some convincing.

I could easily afford a Powerball and a Savage 120, and I could probably afford an Invader if I waited to find a quality used one. I've heard ENGLs have a problem cutting into the mix live. I play really heavy rhythm riffing, in the metalcore and death metal genres. I don't mind waiting for an Invader. I'm looking for a basic breakdown between the 3 amps, and why I should/shouldn't get them. Which ENGL is right for me, and are ENGLs right for me?
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
I've heard ENGLs have a problem cutting into the mix live.

Why does this keep poping up lately?

I have a "low end" ENGL and I have never had that problem. Sounds like bull**** from someone who haven't even tried the amp.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
I've heard the same thing, but it's almost always in a 2 guitar band, where the other guitar player uses an amp like the 5150 with the mids cranked, lol.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by rwalby9
In my opinion recto's blow.. low end is really loose and it sounds really compressed. 6505's wipe the floor with them for high gain.

Well I need some help from you ENGL keen people. I'm gonna have like $2,500, maybe more and I've sort of set myself on an ENGL or Cobra, so I need some convincing.

I could easily afford a Powerball and a Savage 120, and I could probably afford an Invader if I waited to find a quality used one. I've heard ENGLs have a problem cutting into the mix live. I play really heavy rhythm riffing, in the metalcore and death metal genres. I don't mind waiting for an Invader. I'm looking for a basic breakdown between the 3 amps, and why I should/shouldn't get them. Which ENGL is right for me, and are ENGLs right for me?

That Blackmore is so mine!!!
Here's a clip to show you how its modern metal tone is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va1A1aB26Us

I hope I can get mine to sound that good.
Maybe consider the blackmore ?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
just be careful with the invader, you'd need to try it first as it seems to polarise opinion a bit. i haven't tried it myself...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?

This arrived today. I can't believe that the footswitch costs £100 brand new, it is pretty bad quality lol.

Its gonna be hell waiting another week for my Bogner cab to play it through
awesome, the blackmore is great. i know what you mean about the cab thing, my head arrived a few days before my cab.

also agreed about the footswitches.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by thefrigginbob
Why does this keep poping up lately?

I have a "low end" ENGL and I have never had that problem. Sounds like bull**** from someone who haven't even tried the amp.

I said that I heard it, not that it was my opinion. Read the post.

I found a store that carries the Powerball and Invader, but not the Savage. When I head down to Sam Ash this weekend, I'll play them there.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
I said that I heard it, not that it was my opinion. Read the post.

I found a store that carries the Powerball and Invader, but not the Savage. When I head down to Sam Ash this weekend, I'll play them there.

I didn't mean that it was your opinion. I've heard it a lot lately, but not from anyone who ACTUALLY tried an ENGL in a band situation so i was curious how it came about. I didn't mean anything twords you.

That Blackmore look siiiiiiick, must be torture waiting for that cab

EDIT: What footswitch did you get? I really thought mine was pretty nice(a little expensive but still nice)
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by thefrigginbob
I didn't mean that it was your opinion. I've heard it a lot lately, but not from anyone who ACTUALLY tried an ENGL in a band situation so i was curious how it came about. I didn't mean anything twords you.

EDIT: What footswitch did you get? I really thought mine was pretty nice(a little expensive but still nice)

Oh okay, sorry . I dunno I just heard it from people here and on HC so it kind of raises a spike. But people that own them tell me they like them quite a bit and anything Powerball and higher won't have any issue at all.

How are ENGL cabs? Worth the price tag?
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by rwalby9
Oh okay, sorry . I dunno I just heard it from people here and on HC so it kind of raises a spike. But people that own them tell me they like them quite a bit and anything Powerball and higher won't have any issue at all.

Well, like I said my screamer never had a problem so I'm not sure how true it really is.

I would say that they are a bit overpriced. A couple things I like about ENGL cabs is that the V30s are from England(as opposed to the Chinese model, dunno if that matters to you) the cabs are built like a tank and of course they match the ENGL heads. Those are all small things that may matter or not depending on who you are. I like them but I don't know a lot about cabs.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by thefrigginbob
Well, like I said my screamer never had a problem so I'm not sure how true it really is.

I would say that they are a bit overpriced. A couple things I like about ENGL cabs is that the V30s are from England(as opposed to the Chinese model, dunno if that matters to you) the cabs are built like a tank and of course they match the ENGL heads. Those are all small things that may matter or not depending on who you are. I like them but I don't know a lot about cabs.

The reason I ask is I've been told and heard by clips that Vintage 30's sound great with ENGL heads. For some reason used Framus Dragon cabs seem to show up the used market for about 600 pretty often, so would I be alright getting one of those as opposed to the ENGL cab?
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
Quote by thefrigginbob

The footswitch is a Z-5
My Powerball has to go =[
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
^what do you want for it
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
Quote by rwalby9

depends on the tone you're after, any i've tried have sounded extremely tight and metal, basically.

also, since you're in the USA, there might be better value options...

Quote by rwalby9
The reason I ask is I've been told and heard by clips that Vintage 30's sound great with ENGL heads. For some reason used Framus Dragon cabs seem to show up the used market for about 600 pretty often, so would I be alright getting one of those as opposed to the ENGL cab?

i haven't tried the framus cab, but they're generally reasonably well regarded as decent cabs, i think. would be worth looking into it more, though, i think erock had a framus cobra cab (with greenbacks) at one point?

i use a laney cab with mine with v30s, and it sounds good, but it doesn't sound the same as an engl cab which sounds tighter, very clear and a bit more sterile (which can be good or bad, depending on what you play). I think i actually prefer the laney, but then i don't play only modern metal.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Teh Forest King
My Powerball has to go =[

trade mah rocker 30 for it
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
lucky son of a b****^^^^^^^^

Well i've had my screamer 50 combo for about 2 weeks now, i'm so glad i got this instead of a pervy 6505 combo :L

for the money it is the best amp for me, amazing overdrive/gain, warm cleans, built like a tank.

How does the amp respond to emgs? does it lose much clarity?
Bare in mind i play a lot of lamb of god style metal, it has to be tight basically. I only ask because im thinking of whacking an 81 in my jackson rr3? will this affect in loss of tone and 'tightness'?
Can anyone give me a quick over-view of the ENGL Screamer 50?

Just a few questions:

1) Can it do tones varying from AC/DC, Paul Gilbert, Satch (think The Extremist) and Dream Theater? I've been told using a TS-9 greatly helps tightening the sound, which is a must for me really.

2) Does it kick out a decent amount of output consdering it's only 1x12 and bearing in mind I'm used to 2x12s?

3) Are there any other ENGL's worth looking at? I'm looking for a 50 watt 1x12, that can do very high gain and a tight sound, and wouldn't want to spend too much more than the ENGL Screamer is already priced at.
Funny words.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
Can anyone give me a quick over-view of the ENGL Screamer 50?

Just a few questions:

1) Can it do tones varying from AC/DC, Paul Gilbert, Satch (think The Extremist) and Dream Theater? I've been told using a TS-9 greatly helps tightening the sound, which is a must for me really.

2) Does it kick out a decent amount of output consdering it's only 1x12 and bearing in mind I'm used to 2x12s?

3) Are there any other ENGL's worth looking at? I'm looking for a 50 watt 1x12, that can do very high gain and a tight sound, and wouldn't want to spend too much more than the ENGL Screamer is already priced at.

You might like the Thunder Reverb a little better.
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
I'm really looking at a Fireball (I've already returned a 5150, 6505, Randall MTS and G3Plus) and was curious as to how many channels it has

Some of the Reviews on Harmony Central say it has 2, while others say 1. Also if it does only have 1 channel, can you switch between distortion and clean with a footswitch? Lol I've never played with a single channel amp before
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]