Page 5 of 39
Quote by Flux'D
I'm really looking at a Fireball (I've already returned a 5150, 6505, Randall MTS and G3Plus) and was curious as to how many channels it has

Some of the Reviews on Harmony Central say it has 2, while others say 1. Also if it does only have 1 channel, can you switch between distortion and clean with a footswitch? Lol I've never played with a single channel amp before

Some consider it 1, some consider it 2.

Basically it is 1 channel with Clean and Gain modes. There really isn't an in between setting. You can switch between clean and gain with a footswitch.

Quote by jake911
IM interested in the blackmore, does it only have one eq?

Yes, it only has 1 EQ that is shared across all channels.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
I'm an owner of two Engl's so far.

Engl SE - Tied for my favorite amp with the Diezel Herbert. There is no sound this amp cannot achieve. So many options, maybe too many since I rarely used most of them.

Engl Powerball - Tight, agressive distortion, nice clean and decent crunch with some tweaking. I have found that it can be abit sterile though.
Gear:
Guitars: BC Rich.
Amps: Diezel, Engl & Peavey.
Cabinets: Bogner & Diezel.
Miscellaneous: ISP Decimator Pro Rack G.
Quote by rwalby9
You might like the Thunder Reverb a little better.

What's the difference between the Thunder reverb and the Screamer 50?
Funny words.
Quote by JaGi
I'm in:

nice choice, the savage se is badass
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Dave, or anyone for that matter, was wondering, what's the closest I'll be able to get to a Powerball in a 1x12 combo? Just been checking out the online video reviews and looks pretty incredible..Bearing in mind though that my budget can't stretch much further than £800.
Funny words.
i dunno. the powerball is pretty intense. it's balls to the wall metal all the way. most 1x12 combos aren't really aimed at that tone. the screamer will do metal, but it won't do it as well as a powerball.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by Dave_Mc
i dunno. the powerball is pretty intense. it's balls to the wall metal all the way. most 1x12 combos aren't really aimed at that tone. the screamer will do metal, but it won't do it as well as a powerball.

Will the Screamer do it better than the Thunder?
Funny words.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
What's the difference between the Thunder reverb and the Screamer 50?

It's been a while since I tried the Thunder but it was looser and less gain on tap. The Screamer really shines with a nice tight gain, its sparkly, it's got loads of bass, it just sounds right. The Thunder is a decent amp but it just feels like a much better choice to spend a little more to get the Screamer. You get very sparkly cleans and tight gain growl all in one amp, the thunder is just a little unrefined. I actually like the Screamer better than the fireball/powerball, I would only take a Blackmore or above as an upgrade to mine. Just my thoughts, everyone has their own tastes.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by thefrigginbob
It's been a while since I tried the Thunder but it was looser and less gain on tap. The Screamer really shines with a nice tight gain, its sparkly, it's got loads of bass, it just sounds right. The Thunder is a decent amp but it just feels like a much better choice to spend a little more to get the Screamer. You get very sparkly cleans and tight gain growl all in one amp, the thunder is just a little unrefined. I actually like the Screamer better than the fireball/powerball, I would only take a Blackmore or above as an upgrade to mine. Just my thoughts, everyone has their own tastes.

Ahh, well, hopefully at some poijt within the next few months I'll be getting a Screamer, and probably a TS-9 going by your advice.

Now to conjure up £750....
Funny words.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
Ahh, well, hopefully at some poijt within the next few months I'll be getting a Screamer, and probably a TS-9 going by your advice.

Now to conjure up £750....

Ha ha, I've been lurking in this thread as you have been asking all the same questions I was going to.

I'm selling my Orange to put towards it.
Quote by TheShred201
from what I've seen, when it's released,the raider combo could be somewhat more powerballish than the other combos.

Interesting...do you have any more info on that?
Funny words.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
Will the Screamer do it better than the Thunder?

i haven't tried the thunder. from everything i've heard, the screamer can get more modern than the thunder, but that's hearsay.
Quote by 666_Pounder
Its on Thomann already. Over a grand though.

Aaaannnnnnd 100watt.

What about 50watt 2x12's?
Funny words.
How's the Sovereign? I know the place I tried the Screamer out didn't have one in...
Funny words.
Im really liking the Blackmore right now, but do you know of any other amps with similar sound to the blackmore?

oh, I am also located in the US.
Quote by I_Am_Iron_Man
How's the Sovereign? I know the place I tried the Screamer out didn't have one in...

it's 100 watts i think? i haven't tried it either.

Quote by jake911
Im really liking the Blackmore right now, but do you know of any other amps with similar sound to the blackmore?

oh, I am also located in the US.

dunno how similar, but i'd try a soldano avenger, vht deliverance (maybe even ultralead)...maybe even bogner shiva. probably look into splawn, roccaforte, peters, etc. etc. as well (though i haven't tried those)
Hmm, thanks for the suggestions but I was actually looking for amps cheaper lol, the blackmore is pretty much the highest I would be able to spend.
Quote by jake911
Hmm, thanks for the suggestions but I was actually looking for amps cheaper lol, the blackmore is pretty much the highest I would be able to spend.
Interesting member title o_O

The Blackmore is a good amp, it can do rock well and can bring teh br00tz.
2008 Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Currently amp-less!

Fund My GAS
haha yeah, the story behind it is that a guy in the pit was writing a story or something and that was a choice of words he used.

Is it true that the blackmore is like a stripped savage or something?

Too bad its almost impossible to try one of these out .
hello!
didnt recon that there is a own Engl thread- that's great!!!

my friend will buy a new amp next week and we are unsure which one to take....
i play with him in a band and his new amp should sound great together with the one i have!
we mainly play metallica but also some slayer, iron maiden and pantera;

my amp is an Engl fireball;

ah and his budget is around €1000;

perhaps you can help us out
my gear:

guitar: Schecter c1 classic
amp: Engl fireball
box: Engl v30 4x12
effects: g-major
in future: ESP eclipse, PRS Custom 24...
^ if he's looking at engls, i'd try a blackmore. a koch twintone might be worth a try too. and a marshall jvm (it'd be *just* under budget here in the UK, but may be over in europe) and laney vh100r.

Quote by jake911
Is it true that the blackmore is like a stripped savage or something?

i think so. i haven't tried the savage, but i've got the savage se (which is a little different to the savage, allegedly- it runs on differernt power tubes, for a start), and i thought the blackmore sounded a bit like a stripped-down version of my amp (which didn't get just as modern either).

i thought those other amps i suggested were a similar price to the blackmore in the USA, but i could be wrong- i'm not too well up on USA prices.

At the moment, I'm sort of torn, between either, an ENGL Screamer 50 combo, a Fireball head with 2x12 cab, or something else.

Bearing in mind this is something that will be used for bedroom practice which isn't too quiet, band practice AND gigging with, so needs to have a pretty thick sound, but also be easy to move around a fair bit. Tones I'll be looking for range from Satch to Dream Theater to Zakk Wylde, and if possible, a nice clean channel (not essential though!), which makes me lean towards the Screamer, but will that have enough gain?

Actually, the closest I can get to this in a 50 watt combo for under £1000 would be perfect.
Funny words.
Last edited by I_Am_Iron_Man at Aug 24, 2008,
you'd really need to try it, to be honest.
Quote by Dave_Mc

i thought those other amps i suggested were a similar price to the blackmore in the USA, but i could be wrong- i'm not too well up on USA prices.

Most of them are, not sure which of them sound close to the Blackmore though.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
yeah, of course. i was just suggesting stuff which i thought was aimed at similar (ish) styles of music.
Hmm, im intrigued by the savage, i may just save up enev longer to purchase one of those.

What is your opinion with the difference in tubes between the se and regular savage?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ if he's looking at engls, i'd try a blackmore. a koch twintone might be worth a try too. and a marshall jvm (it'd be *just* under budget here in the UK, but may be over in europe) and laney vh100r.

hmm thanks and what do you think of the peavey 5150?
my gear:

^ mine thickens up quite a bit at higher volumes, but mine's the only one i've really been able to try cranked up.

Quote by jake911
Hmm, im intrigued by the savage, i may just save up enev longer to purchase one of those.

What is your opinion with the difference in tubes between the se and regular savage?

i'm not sure, i haven't tried the savage. i guess they'd sound different. from what i hear, the savage se is a bit smoother than the normal savage.

(by the way, don't confuse the savage se with the se, they're two different amps )

Quote by dickeskind
hmm thanks and what do you think of the peavey 5150?

i like them, but the cleans are kinda crappy, and they aren't too cheap in europe. definitely worth a try though, if he doesn't need amazing cleans.
Gah, I've been wanting to try out a Fireball for so long. I spent 10 minutes on one at the start of the year, and I was gobsmacked. It was godly. I wanted to high five it.
^ and the fireball is probably my least-favourite engl (out of the ones i've tried). though, to be fair, it does depend on what you want to play- for death metal and similar styles of music, the fireball is pretty good.
^ The fireball had so much gain. Playing Battery with a cranked Fireball was great :
hmm do you guys think that this eq would help against my problem?
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXR-M108-Ten-Band-Graphic-EQ?sku=151115&src=3SOSWXXA

@Dave_Mc: would you say that the 5150 and the fireball would sound ok together?
my mate doesnt care about the cleans...
my gear:

proud engl 530 preamp owner
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups