Took a trip to Axe Music yesterday, as I had the day off and nothing really better to do. I spent 4 hours in the store, so I tried a heck of a lot.
Guitars
First off was the Schecter C-1 Hellraiser . This one surprised me (myself being an owner of a C-1 Classic). The neck was bulkier than on my Classic. Noticeably bulkier. I preferred the neck on the Classic (which could be because I'm used to it). Unplugged, there were no noticeable tonal differences between the 2. Never got to play this one plugged in.

Next up were some random Fenders that I grabbed off the wall. Not being a Fender person myself, I didn't know what models I was playing. I remember grabbing a Deluxe Players Strat, which really surprised me. There were no sharp frets, action was quite low, intonation was dead on. The salesman assured me that it had not been set-up, this was how it came from the factory. Next I grabbed the Lite Ash Tele. Now I know what people mean when they say "try before you buy". There were about 5 sharp frets, the intonation in the open-chording area was terrible, and fret buzz the whole way up the fretboard. Tonally, this guitar was quite bright, with that tele "twang". A set-up would have done this guitar well. Next up was an American Strat (again, no idea what model). Playability-wise, I couldn't find a difference between the MIM and the MIA. Tonally, the MIA had better pickups, but (IN MY OPINION) was not worth the extra $400. Just buy the Deluxe and upgrade.

Over to the Ibanez wall. I pull off an RG1570 to see what all the fuss is about. This "super-fast shred neck" that everyone's looking for; I did not like it. It was way too thin, and my hands cramped up while playing chords on it. I didn't even play this one for 5 minutes (I hated the neck so much). Next was some semi-hollowbody Ibanez. This was was pure tonal bliss. It's tones were lush and full, and it projected very well. The neck was large, but not as chunky as the hellraiser neck. And for only $500, this guitar was a steal.

Now I walk over to the ESP Wall. I grabbed the one that caught my eye first, an ESP Vintage Plus. This one was AMAZING. The finish on it was super smooth and felt very nice to play on. The neck was larger than the Ibanez, but smaller than the Hellraiser. In fact, it felt scarily similar to my Classic (although the ESP has an unfinished neck? as opposed to the glossy finish on the neck of my Classic). Action was super low, playing it was almost effortless. The 3 single-coils had some good twang in the bridge position, and a warm, refined tone in the middle/neck positions. If you're looking at MIA strats and have a little headroom in your budget, check this one out before you buy a Fender ($1200).
I also played other various guitars, none that deserve recognition in here.
Amps
Some guy was playing Atreyu licks through a Peavey XXL. Ew. Very digital, very thin, and all-around terrible. WAY better amps out there for the price.
Next, he plays through a Peavey JSX. As you probably know, it's versatile, great cleans with a booming crunch to back it up. Nails Metallica tones such as "Seek & Destroy" and "Master of Puppets" with a little tweaking. Too much "Satch" in the tone, though. Seems like you just can't dial him out.
All guitars tried through an amp (named earlier in the spam thread) were played through a Fender Blues Junior. Very articulate, great cleans. Turns muddy with "FAT" switch engaged, though. Couldn't play loud, so I didn't get to hear the "creamy overdrive" that I've heard so much about.

Anyways, it was a productive day. I'll edit this if I remember more stuff that I tried (and that deserves to be mentioned).

EDIT: Remembered another amp... a Fender Frontman 25R. I watched a salesman talk some poor kid into buying this (he was just starting guitar). The salesman's pitch was that all Fenders have great cleans, and this one has "killer distortion" with it. Wrong. It sounded very, very dry with an ear-splitting high-end on it. Salesman was running through some sweeping licks that sounded like udder crap. You would think he would feel bad, especially since the kid had a Laney VC-15 right beside him. Oh well I guess, they gotta make sales somehow.
Last edited by Stevo12312 at Aug 27, 2007,
sweet, those esp's especially sound nice. and likewise i wasn't too impressed with the lite ash strat I tried. i agree with you about not being able to dial out the "satch" from the jsx, at least from my limited experience with one. not really a fan.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Stevo12312
Don't tell me I typed that all up for only 1 person to read....

I read it
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
i read it........ we need more not so lazy ppl in UG so they can make things interesting like this for me to read, because im way too lazy.........
Guitars
Fender Highway One Telecaster
Squier Affinity Strat
Alvarez Acoustic

Amp
Crate GLX65

Pedals
Digitech RP120
Boss Chromatic Pedal Tuner

Strings
Dean Markley 10's

Member of the Zeppelinism Faith
PM TheHeartbreaker to join
Quote by redweekrocker
i read it........ we need more not so lazy ppl in UG so they can make things interesting like this for me to read, because im way too lazy.........

Pretty soon I am planning on going to some local music stores with my Guitar and VJ and try ever conceivable pedal. I may do a spam thread.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

that would be awesome, because im planning on buying pedals with my christmas money, so that would be so helpful to me, may i suggest u try the tube screamer and various wahs for me please, u probably were anyway but............
Guitars
Fender Highway One Telecaster
Squier Affinity Strat
Alvarez Acoustic

Amp
Crate GLX65

Pedals
Digitech RP120
Boss Chromatic Pedal Tuner

Strings
Dean Markley 10's

Member of the Zeppelinism Faith
PM TheHeartbreaker to join
Quote by redweekrocker
that would be awesome, because im planning on buying pedals with my christmas money, so that would be so helpful to me, may i suggest u try the tube screamer and various wahs for me please, u probably were anyway but............

Will do!
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

In reference to the kid, you have to start somewhere. And in reference to the kids tone (in the near future), you sometimes have to realize what sucks before you realize what's awesome. Beyond that, sometimes people have to realize that they themselves suck, before they can make any progress (not strictly applicable to music).
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Agree with the verdict on the Ash Teles - brilliant specs but the same quality control as most Squiers. One I tried felt almost MIA-like and another worse than my MIM.

I didn't really like the Deluxe Player's - they play nice but I don't like the radius, the tremolo was pretty dire at keeping tune and it wasn't as nice as the Americans. The Americans I've tried have all ben withing 10% of each other quality wise - they're all spotless in terms of quality.

Oh, and I hate Ibanez too
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Agree with the verdict on the Ash Teles - brilliant specs but the same quality control as most Squiers. One I tried felt almost MIA-like and another worse than my MIM.

I didn't really like the Deluxe Player's - they play nice but I don't like the radius, the tremolo was pretty dire at keeping tune and it wasn't as nice as the Americans. The Americans I've tried have all ben withing 10% of each other quality wise - they're all spotless in terms of quality.

Oh, and I hate Ibanez too

Yeah, I don't know how some people can play on those necks without cramping up... personal preference I guess.
Quote by Stevo12312
Yeah, I don't know how some people can play on those necks without cramping up... personal preference I guess.
Yeah. Most people I know who play those necks either never bring their thumb up from the back, only buy it 'cos it's cool, or only use an RG for its versatility.

I'm happy enough with Strats and Teles
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
(a) Agree with the verdict on the Ash Teles - brilliant specs but the same quality control as most Squiers. One I tried felt almost MIA-like and another worse than my MIM.

(b) I didn't really like the Deluxe Player's - they play nice but I don't like the radius, the tremolo was pretty dire at keeping tune and it wasn't as nice as the Americans. The Americans I've tried have all ben withing 10% of each other quality wise - they're all spotless in terms of quality.

(a) i've only tried one (EDIT: oh it was a strat too), but it felt a bit plasticky and cheap... better than a squier, no doubt, but not great.

(b) yeah, i didn't really like the deluxe players strat i tried, as you say, it went out of tune if you even looked at the trem. didn't think it played too great either. radius doesn't really annoy me, for some reason, i can play on most radii.

Quote by MrCarrot
Yeah. Most people I know who play those necks either never bring their thumb up from the back, only buy it 'cos it's cool, or only use an RG for its versatility.

what do you mean by "never bring their thumb up from the back"?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
But yeah, all in all.... try one of those ESP Vintage Plus guitars before you die. I swear you'll love me for it.
i definitely will, i'm well aware how awesome japanese guitars can be!

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?