I've been playing guitar for just over two years now, and I've found that I'm stuck in an awkward...phase?
I can play, quite well, a lot of Rock, Pop, Alternative, Punk and some thrashy metal. And since I've managed these genres, I've tried learning Blues, Classical and some Progressive, as well as Blues/Metal (Sabbath, Maiden). The problem I've found, is that, although I've got familiar with those genres mentioned earlier, I'm not advanced enough to play those genres I just listed, and while I'm stuck at a certain skill level, I've been getting quite bored with my guitars, and I've had less desire to play them recently. I'm considering getting a Digitech Whammy pedal to play with when I get the money, but does anyone have any tips or ideas of what I can do to keep interested and increase my skill?

Thanks.
jam with people. i had a phase like that kinda when i was starting. the more people you jam with the better, trust me
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
I'd suggest focusing on your favorite genre and gradually tackle more difficult songs. There are progressively more difficult songs in almost every style of music. So for example if you learned Enter Sandman tackle the much harder Dyer's Eve. If that's too hard go for a moderate increase like Fade to Black. Just a thought.

A few other ideas woule be to focus on more techniques and exercises so that you will have the technical skills to play harder songs. You could also try writing your own material or collaborate to spark your creativity and re kindle your interest. If you can afford lessons they can sometimes help you break out of a rut too. Cheers.
Well, I have over-protective parents which would stop me jamming with people that they don't know, so that's one opportunity gone, but thanks for the help.
And I've tried writing my own stuff a few times, but usually it stresses me out a little, and I have lessons, although I've not had one for about a month or so. Thanks for the advice, though. Could you recomend an easy blues-sounding song? It might help me get a better feel for blues, which is the one genre, really, which I want to get the hang of.
i know this really blues but rolling stones helped me a while back on my pentatonic improv. solos. i did a stones cover show so...yea
Get a band together if you don't already have one. It's not boring when you're making money
Whitest Kid U' Know of the Bass Militia
PM Dinky Daisy to join

Originally posted by Civildp1
I can't drink tequila anymore. it makes me do terrible things. Terrible naked things.
you dont know any1 at school you can jam with
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
Quote by JOEYPWNSU
you dont know any1 at school you can jam with

No, not really. Unless I want to play death metal or Pop/Indie, which are two genres I hate. Which is a huge shame, because all I want to do in life is play music to make money for charity and to make music to make a difference.
Just go to music shops and placed and find people to jam with, believe me, you'll find someone, and it'll be worth it, jamming with other people has helped me in so many different ways
A new whammy pedal is a bandaid. It might help for a few days, but then you'll
be right back where you are. That goes for any new equipment -- "retail therapy"
is no solution.

Ask yourself: if you were always making progress towards your goals and always
knew what to do next, would you still get bored? I found getting better goes
quite a ways to maintaining high interest and enjoyment. The key to that is
learning how to practice. So, you might want to look into that.

Incidently, this isn't uncommon when you get beyond a couple years with guitar.
It's pretty much the case you have to take your practice to another level, or wallow
at your current skill level with little progress for a long long time. If you feel like
you're just doing the same stuff over and over, you're pretty much there.
it's kindof a writers block I think.. not finding any stuff you like to play in this case... this is where your patience and determination is tried. I had the exact same problem for a pretty long time.

Try taking up lessons, I suggest classical guitar, since it's probably the hardest type of lesson you can get, and it is SO rewarding. Also try setting up your personal daily-practice repetoire and stick with it.. expand it steadily and drop whatever you don't need anymore, that way you'll keep growing as a musician (Also don't just put songs in there, put scales and lessons in there aswel... a nice change of scenery when doing your daily practices)

hope it helped a bit
edg and Stukart, thanks, I didn't really consider that too much. I did try warm-ups for a while, but I got to the stage where they weren't doing much for me anymore, so I went back to learning songs. And I know I do need to learn scales badly, so I'll get practicing those right away.
As for Classical: I have a whole two music books, aimed at beginners, that teaches you the basics and some scales and songs for Classical. I'll get those out. Thanks a lot.

Also, it's my birthday tomorrow, so I'll be getting money, is a whammy pedal worth getting yet?
There is few ways:

1. Jam with people, doesn't matter are you jamming with whole band or with just one guy, it should help you.

2. Leave the guitar for a few days. You will come back with big wish to play.

3.Get into the other genres. Jazz, Blues, Progressive, whatever you want.

4. Find some songs you find amazing or beautiful, and try to learn them.

Hope I helped.
Quote by Johnljones7443
my neew year reslosutions are not too drikn as much lol.

happy new yeeae guyas.
maybe try writing songs or even trying pick up bass or something like that? but i'd mostly try stuff already mentioned. writing new songs, or even just trying to tab songs for a bit just to get you really back into it.
Quote by pyritmann
maybe try writing songs or even trying pick up bass or something like that? but i'd mostly try stuff already mentioned. writing new songs, or even just trying to tab songs for a bit just to get you really back into it.

Eh, I play bass. Except I hardly play it anymore, I started off playing Blink-182 etc. then I suddenly moved to Beatles, Trivium, Megadeth and even Mudvayne. But I hardly play t anymore because of Mudvayne.

Anyway, I've tried writing some music in Guitar Pro, while I'm trying some blues scales, and I'm gonna try learning it on guitar...since it's pretty fast and hard sounding.
Quote by jaffawoman
No, not really. Unless I want to play death metal or Pop/Indie, which are two genres I hate. Which is a huge shame, because all I want to do in life is play music to make money for charity and to make music to make a difference.

If you go with that mentality, you'll never grow. Just jam with people. You don't have to have the same tastes. You're not an official band. Just play music with other people.