So I was at guitar center, with intentions of trying out the Epiphone les paul standard plus. So I did, and I loved playing it, felt so much better and smoother than my cheap ass starter guitar <_<... sound wise wa salright, I didn't spend much time so I did not get to mess around with the buttons an dsuch to get a good tone.. and it was a bit out of tune.

But anyway... I really enjoyed it, and it gets solid reviews. But I am pretty short on cash, and have been hearing nothing but great priase for Agiles.

http://www.rondomusic.net/al3100sptbl.html

I can go with an Agile and case for only around 440 shipped.

But which is the overall better guitar? I mean, which sounds better? I play lots of rock, some metal.. metallica, white stripes, led zep, acdc, nirvana, a bunch of stuff really.

I think I got a good feel for les pauls today, and I really want one. But which guitar do I go with -.-

Oh and does anyone know how much the Epi Les pauls weigh? I thought they would be heavy, but they were pretty light >.>
honestly i like agiles better

but if you were to get an epiphone, i woudl get the tony iommi G400.. only good epiphone in my opinion
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
I'll tell you what another member on this forum told me when I asked. Order the Agile, and go play the epiphone at GC and then play the Agile when you get it, if you prefer the Agile, keep it. If you prefer the epiphone, return the agile and get the epiphone.
I would go with agile the finishes on them are AMAZING
Quote by killbox2490
HOLY S**T! There is a switch hahahahahha. Thanks Red Wing. Now you're probably going to quote me for being so retarded

CLAPTON IS GOD
Well the Epi is a mahogany/alder mix. It's just has a thin piece of mahogany on the back and the rest is pretty much alder which is a lighter wood compared to mahogany, so that could have been why it felt light. The Agile is more of a true LP I suppose. Has the solid mahogany body.

Which one sounds better is going to be up to you. The Epi will sound a bit brighter because its made of mostly alder, the Agile will be bit darker, thicker sounding... more like a true LP. There are some solid mahogany Epis like the Plain Top and Quilt Top. Maybe try them out as well
Last edited by Whole Lotta Led at Aug 27, 2007,
Only the Epi standard and studio will have an alder core at worst and the mahognay on them is not just a thin veneer. The classic, customs, standard plus etc are all solid mahagony. Whether Agile is truely solid mahogany is up for debate... considering the inconsintancies in weight between different guitars of the same model I wouldn't totally bet on it.
Some "all mahogany" agiles actually have a 3 piece cap. I saw one (an AL-2000) torn apart and sanded to reveal a 3 piece maple cap. I did see another one modded that was solid mahogany, but either way you probably aren't getting any alder with an Agile.

And unless you plan on having a bigsby installed, stay away from the trapeze tailpiece AL-3100. It would probably make it more difficult to play the types of music you have listed.
I dont plan on doing any modifications or changes to whatever guitar I get... at least not immediately.
Then get a model with a stoptail instead of a trap. I've heard bad things about that trap in relation to sustain and string bending.
Having tried multiple guitar from each brand, I wouldn't hesitate to say Agile 3100.

Quote by Myrdinn
... considering the inconsintancies in weight between different guitars of the same model I wouldn't totally bet on it.

Go to your local Gibson dealer and pick up a few 'identical' GIBSON Les Pauls off the rack. There are massive weight differences from one to the other.

Quote by Axecutioner
I saw one (an AL-2000) torn apart and sanded to reveal a 3 piece maple cap.

The 2000 doesn't have a maple cap. The guitar has a solid mahogany cap with a 2-piece 1/16" maple veneer. Rondo make no secret of the construction of the AL-2000. It's the bottom-of-the-line of the Agile brand. You can't expect a solid maple cap on a $200 guitar
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by Supafly1824
Oh and does anyone know how much the Epi Les pauls weigh? I thought they would be heavy, but they were pretty light >.>
You were playing an old one then. Up until a few years ago, Epi made most of their guitars (not the high-end ones though) with a mix of mahogany and alder (and of course maple tops, as is standard with 99% of Les Pauls ever made...).

Now, and for the last year or so, they've moved on to only using exactly what the 'proper' Gibson versions use for most of their guitars (exceptions being the Special-II, Junior, 100, and some Studio instruments), so the majority now are full mahogany with no alder, but many of the older instruments are still in prime circulation and sitting on store shelves and in websites' storage, so there's a good chance when you pick one up it'll be the old alder/mahogany mix. With Epis, you should never buy anything less than a Standard, and you should check to make sure it was made in the last year - that way you know you're getting a better, more correct instrument.

Anyway; I'd say ditch either, check out the Epi LP Customs. Only LP-style guitar I've ever found that can hold up to my Gibsons.