Hey guys, I can get a JEM style poplar body, already finished in black, cut for 2 humbuckers, a single and a floyd rose for $35. It supposedly retails for $150. I've never built a guitar but I'd like to at some point in the future. Is there any reason not to jump on this deal?

EDIT: pic
EDIT2: Does it need to be routed for a pickguard?
Fender Tele
Breedlove SM20
Cort M800

Peavey Classic 30
Roland Microcube

Digitech RP250
Digitech Bad Monkey
Last edited by fruity mcgee at Aug 27, 2007,
It's poplar. That's a decent reason.

Vai's guitars are alder and basswood. Poplar is a dull, bland kind of tonewood imo.
this is just me, but in my opinion i load up my guitar with ****load of distortions so it doesnt matter to me what the wood sounds like
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
You guys know you wanna help me out here...c'mon
</spam>
Fender Tele
Breedlove SM20
Cort M800

Peavey Classic 30
Roland Microcube

Digitech RP250
Digitech Bad Monkey
Poplar is a perfectly good tonewood, much better than alder IMO...I'd go for it.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
No, it doesn't need a pickguard. You will need to drill for the controls, though.

Just a warning, you don't want to do strip the paint and give it a transparent finish. Poplar isn't a very pretty wood. Which is one reason why you don't see much of it.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Will_Minus
No, it doesn't need a pickguard. You will need to drill for the controls, though.

Just a warning, you don't want to do strip the paint and give it a transparent finish. Poplar isn't a very pretty wood. Which is one reason why you don't see much of it.

What kind of drill do you need for that?

And yeah, guitar fetish. I didn't wanna post the site for fear that someone else would take it :P
Fender Tele
Breedlove SM20
Cort M800

Peavey Classic 30
Roland Microcube

Digitech RP250
Digitech Bad Monkey
Last edited by fruity mcgee at Aug 27, 2007,
Forstner bits or a router. And poplar is fairly pretty if it doesn't have the green mineral streaks.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
Forstner bits or a router. And poplar is fairly pretty if it doesn't have the green mineral streaks.

What are Forstner bits? Slash are they beginner friendly?
Fender Tele
Breedlove SM20
Cort M800

Peavey Classic 30
Roland Microcube

Digitech RP250
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by fruity mcgee
What kind of drill do you need for that?

And yeah, guitar fetish. I didn't wanna post the site for fear that someone else would take it :P

Ha.. Yea right... I think everyone here knows about the deals GF has had lately.

Besides, I think they're sold out. Go try and purchase one, it says the requested quantity is not available.

You have to move quick on their stock of necks and bodies.
Quote by thomasgrant
Ha.. Yea right... I think everyone here knows about the deals GF has had lately.

Besides, I think they're sold out. Go try and purchase one, it says the requested quantity is not available.

You have to move quick on their stock of necks and bodies.

Nope, I've got the last one locked up on the checkout page :P
Fender Tele
Breedlove SM20
Cort M800

Peavey Classic 30
Roland Microcube

Digitech RP250
Digitech Bad Monkey