Hi, I been on the hunt for the digitech tech bass whammy for some time now and have no luck. So i was woundering if the digitech whammy for guitar would be suitable on the bass?? If any ones tried this out and had tasty results please hit me up!!
It kills your low end, but you can do it
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
I think the older model of the digitech whammys are very popular amoung bassists and yes it's a guitar pedal.

Anyone fancy a wager on how long thefitz will find this thread and preach his gospel that Jesus did not use guitar pedals on bass because they "suck too much low end" and only ever used highly priced bass dedicated alternatives?

Tho i do agree with this to some extent.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
They did make a Bass Whammy at one time, but if you find one you'll be extremely lucky. Keep checking eBay or something, it might show up some day.
Ok thanks I might test one some how! Justin Chancellor (tool) uses a digitech whammy which im guessing is the older version, any one know anything on his one?
The older ones have one more feature...

It's like a 2nd and Octave.

Lemme find a video for you.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rPA015Gjyt4

yes I know its 18mins long but he does explain the difference in the Whammys in there. he also gives you a sample of each pedal which is awesome.

Its the bass whammy not the guitar sorry!

It's the XP-100 model.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
I think the older model of the digitech whammys are very popular amoung bassists and yes it's a guitar pedal.

Anyone fancy a wager on how long thefitz will find this thread and preach his gospel that Jesus did not use guitar pedals on bass because they "suck too much low end" and only ever used highly priced bass dedicated alternatives?

Tho i do agree with this to some extent.

I've only really complained about guitar distortion pedals. Half of my effects loop are guitar pedals. And the Fulltone FullDrive 2 costs the exact same as the BassDrive.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I've used a Digitech Whammy IV on bass before - it worked, but my low end was kind of lacking, just like with my flanger. Hence, I'm getting a vintage DOD Bass Stereo Flanger
what to do, what to do! Im so keen on a whammy. I have one built in to my bp200 but its a crap one which gives you the weird techno sound when shifting up octaves..Well actually for shifting up or down anything! Any one know of any other brands that build quality whammies?
Last edited by sictree at Aug 28, 2007,
Quote by pinkhaze29
They don't make one for bass. And it should be suitable, my friend uses mine on his bass

They don't anymore, but they used to.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=rPA015Gjyt4

Check. Mate.

But the guitar one will take your low end away.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
The Whammy IV won't take your low end away. In harmony mode, the fundamental note isn't altered, and in whammy mode, you're altering the pitch of the note, so obviously you won't have as much bass if you whammy up.

There are downsides though, like the digital sound, some overdrive if the signal is hot and the ability to track only one note at a time.
Quote by sictree
what to do, what to do! Im so keen on a whammy. I have one built in to my bp200 but its a crap one which gives you the weird techno sound when shifting up octaves..Well actually for shifting up or down anything! Any one know of any other brands that build quality whammies?

Boss pitch shifter. Get an expantion pedal and you can do all the harmonies and whammy you want.
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Good luck at getting for a deal, because lately they have been going for around $700

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220141028818&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012

Christ... someone actually bid $720... it wasn't some rich guy paying some stupid price with Buy It Now. Like... that's the actual market price for that pedal.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
$720? That is madness. Surely Digitech would make an absolute killing if they started making the pedal again. It's obviously outstandingly popular.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by sergio_valente
The Whammy IV won't take your low end away. In harmony mode, the fundamental note isn't altered, and in whammy mode, you're altering the pitch of the note, so obviously you won't have as much bass if you whammy up.

There are downsides though, like the digital sound, some overdrive if the signal is hot and the ability to track only one note at a time.

The ability to track one note is kind of a killer. I like the digital sound personally.

I found that when I didn't even engage the rocker part of the pedal, my low end disappeared a bit.