I've been playing for roughly two months and I have a lot of trouble with F chords. I can't afford lessons from my local guitar shop, and I've been using chordbook.com to learn chords. I have the most trouble with F Major chords. They beat up my hand I can't hold them very well. Does anyone have some tips on what I can do to improve, aside from practicing?
raise your guitar height. r u playing at your knees??? if so, it doesn't work.

learn barre chords. there are too many threads about those. it's made for you.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Move you fingers around as you hold the chord until you get all the strings to ring out. Other than that, practice. You can't just go around practicing, there is no easy fix for anything in guitar.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2
Quote by ECistheBest
raise your guitar height. r u playing at your knees??? if so, it doesn't work.

learn barre chords. there are too many threads about those. it's made for you.

thanx. that was a big help for me. Now to nail those barre chords.
practice, a lot. when you get bored practicing, practice more. basically, guitar is about practicing, and practicing, so go and practice that
Do it without the bar for now. What that means is, instead of barring your pointer finger on all the strings, just place it on the B and high E. In other words, leave the low E out. It will still be an "F chord", it just won't sound as 'full" or "rich" as it would with that low F root note.

EDIT: but I'm not saying you shouldn't learn how to bar, you WILL need it. Just for now, if you need to play an F chord in a song or something, it will work. But you have to be able to play barr chords to move on.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
The dreaded F chord is the last chord a person can play because of the amount of tension you need to apply. Start playing barre chords at the 5th fret, and each time you can get them to ring out every time, move back one fret towards the bridge. You could also have your action too high.