Im KINDA new to guitars, ive been playing like 6-7 months so still not great at it and i was gonna be buying some new stuff and start from scratch cause all of my guitar gear seriously is crap .

My budget is probly lower than most good players here but i definatly want some stuff that i can practice with and still sound good. Ive been looking and i think im going with one of those $200-$300 ibanezs that look kinda nice and getting good youtube reviews. like this one

I play alot of i guess "metal/rock" stuff or whatever you wanna call it. I just dont know where to go in the subject of amps/effects and pedals and all that junk. Im hoping to get kind of an avenged sevenfold type of sound for any of you that have heard songs like beast and the harlot, unholy confessions, or critical acclaim (new one on their myspace you should listen if u havent).

Dont really wanna be spending more than $300 on the amp stuff and effects combined if thats even possible cause im a cheapo. thanks
I get a good avenaged sound with a Jackson KVX10

I would say any Jackson is good with Avenaged

as i know....
Quote by neopowell
Killing yourself seems like the only simple solution.
Im an A7X Feind check out my cover on my profile...or in my sig...

for gear go for a schecter guitar and some kinda good combo amp...i have a spider 3 not that bad...only 200 and im getting a schecter =] go for it
not really possible to get that sound without spending some cash. they use mesa boogie and marshall, plus schecter guitars, that are quite pricy.
pay me the same amount and ill give you better head than an amp ever could.

Quote by mdawg24
My bad, headbanger had it.
I suck

Quote by faultyy
(sp) means to use super powers
dude to get that sound you need to put in some serious cash
i've got a schecter synyster custom and i still cant match their sound. If you want it exact, you gotta get a mesa boogie which is up in the three thousand dollar range
AFAIK ( don't really like them) they've used Bogners on all the albums, or at least City. Guitars...really don't matter at all.

It's the amp.

A bogner uberschall is like 3-4k new. Guitar wise, just match their guitar body wood and pickups.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
dual rectifier! lol your better off getting a good starter combo amp...you can get good a7x tone out of a spider...well the waking the fallen era
Quote by CodySG
AFAIK ( don't really like them) they've used Bogners on all the albums, or at least City. Guitars...really don't matter at all.

It's the amp.

A bogner uberschall is like 3-4k new. Guitar wise, just match their guitar body wood and pickups.

I thought they only used Ubers on one album. The first one was recorded with 5150's, right? now they have boogies. They left Bogner because they said they were treated like crap though.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
yeah, but Bogners where used on City which is still their latest, right?

Meaning, unless you're wanting some kind of live sound. you'll need a bonger for City tones.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Why is everyone recommending Spiders? This is just sad...

There's no "good" tone you can get out of a spider.

Get either a Vox AD series or a Roland Cube for you amp. Both can do the Avenged Sevenfold styles well, and no matter what people tell you, the Vox CAN do it, with ease. It won't sound 100% unless you get every peice of gear they use, which would cost a lot. The Ibanez is a good choice, lower end RGs with fixed bridges are better than the ones with trems (imo).

I repeat...if anyone recommends you a Line 6 Spider, DON'T EVEN PAY ATTENTION. Same goes with a Marshall MG. Somewhere down the road you'll realize the amp is worthless and you'll wish you got the Vox or Roland, trust me.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Why is everyone recommending Spiders? This is just sad...

There's no "good" tone you can get out of a spider.

Get either a Vox AD series or a Roland Cube for you amp. Both can do the Avenged Sevenfold styles well, and no matter what people tell you, the Vox CAN do it, with ease. It won't sound 100% unless you get every peice of gear they use, which would cost a lot. The Ibanez is a good choice, lower end RGs with fixed bridges are better than the ones with trems (imo).

I repeat...if anyone recommends you a Line 6 Spider, DON'T EVEN PAY ATTENTION. Same goes with a Marshall MG. Somewhere down the road you'll realize the amp is worthless and you'll wish you got the Vox or Roland, trust me.

+1. He knows his ****. Listen to him.
Ben
lol spider 3's arent as bad as you think especially when he hasnt been playing long...
lmao.

Someone mentions Avenged Sevenfold and everyone starts recommending Spyders?

hahahahaha

I just found that funny.

Anyway.

Yeah, they used Bogner on COE.

But, i'm pretty sure you could get a good enough Avenged Sevenfold tone out of something that's not 3k.
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail
BBE Sonic-Stomp Sonic Maximizer.

Member #24 of the EHX Guild
Ya i definatly dont need 100% matches with their tone quality...i just want something that sounds a little closer to their general "style". Right now im using stuff that doesnt even sound good for anything i play at all and i hear static whenever the amp and pedal is on. heres my setup its kinda funny actually..this guitar and this amp and Boss metal zone pedal

Sounds terrible but i at least got alot better from it so now ready to move up. The worst part is that on the guitar the part where the strings go through on the top of the neck before the spinny knobs thingys (proud honors english student) broke on the big E string so when i play E string it sounds like "bloinckahhpagnp".

and about the response to that one guy. do these voxes looks any good this or this? which would be better for the $50 money diff?

And ya being able to play waking the fallen album would definatly be good it doesnt have to sound like city of evil since they probly have more expensive gear for that cd anyways

AND, spiders a definate no no correct?
Last edited by MrCool0760 at Aug 27, 2007,
Quote by Nyukka
lol spider 3's arent as bad as you think especially when he hasnt been playing long...

They really are pretty pitiful. We realize he's new, but he should start off right, instead of buying something bad, and regretting it later.

EDIT: I know you don't have a big budget, but for the most part, you get what you pay for, so maybe it would be a good idea if you saved for a bit, i know you don't need a big loud amp, but an amp for under $100 isn't going to turn out well.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Quote by CodySG
yeah, but Bogners where used on City which is still their latest, right?

Meaning, unless you're wanting some kind of live sound. you'll need a bonger for City tones.

I see, but the reason I brought it up was to ask which album's sound the TS wanted. I mean, personally, I don't like city of evil, but I love STST's sound.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by FrenchBread
They really are pretty pitiful. We realize he's new, but he should start off right, instead of buying something bad, and regretting it later.

EDIT: I know you don't have a big budget, but for the most part, you get what you pay for, so maybe it would be a good idea if you saved for a bit, i know you don't need a big loud amp, but an amp for under $100 isn't going to turn out well.

I think ur looking at my last post at the wrong spot...i was just saying thats the under $100 amp i have NOW..the one im looking at is in the next paragraph
Quote by MrCool0760

and about the response to that one guy. do these voxes looks any good this or this? which would be better for the $50 money diff?

And ya being able to play waking the fallen album would definatly be good it doesnt have to sound like city of evil since they probly have more expensive gear for that cd anyways

AND, spiders a definate no no correct?

Honestly, there's not THAT much of a difference in sound between the two, the AD30VT will probably sound a little better though as it has a 10 inch speaker over the 8 inch. The reason the AD30VT is $50 more is more because of the fact that it's twice the wattage of the AD15VT.

And yes, the spiders are a deffinate no-no
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Or you can just go find your own tone/sound...
I got some good guitars, yo.
people are usuallyyyy assholes on UG and only respect theyre own opinions so id go to guitar center and ask an associate...thats your best bet...just dont get ripped off!
Quote by Nyukka
people are usuallyyyy assholes on UG and only respect theyre own opinions so id go to guitar center and ask an associate...thats your best bet...just dont get ripped off!

hahahahahaha.

He'd come home with a $500 15 watt Spider if he did that.

>.<
My Setup!
Schecter C-1 Elite..

Laney GH50L
Crate GX412 Cab
Crate XT65R

EHX Holy Grail
BBE Sonic-Stomp Sonic Maximizer.

Member #24 of the EHX Guild
Ya and u guys seem to know what ur talking about more than they do. One time i went in there and i needed a cheap accoustic for a school class im taking. i wanted something like $100-$150 because i never planned on using it ever again after school and all they kept saying was that if i dont get their $400 guitar i might as well not get one at all.

And my goal isnt really to copy a7x's sound, i just like their general tone. Even if i was just 50% of their sound id be happy im just sick of what i got now and want something with a little more quality
their lead guitarist has used Ibanez RG Prestige and a Dual rectifier before apparently...

So, get an RG & a Roland Cube
Quote by SchecterGates
lmao.

Someone mentions Avenged Sevenfold and everyone starts recommending Spyders?

hahahahaha

I just found that funny.

Anyway.

Yeah, they used Bogner on COE.

But, i'm pretty sure you could get a good enough Avenged Sevenfold tone out of something that's not 3k.

probably because sucky bands need sucky amps
Quote by .smudged.

Come on now, band bashin isn't necessary. BTW, if sucky bands need sucky amps, you just called A7X the total opposite, since they use bogners.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Quote by .smudged.

Seriously, its a matter of opinion, some people think your music sucks to

the kid knows what he likes, let just help him as best we can, and not criticize his preferences. Those saying he shouldn't try to sound just like avenge, i think he's really saying he likes that type of tone, and is giving them as an example, and he's looking for something along those lines with that level of distortion.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.
Quote by Reincaster
Come on now, band bashin isn't necessary. BTW, if sucky bands need sucky amps, you just called A7X the total opposite, since they use bogners.

Very true

I dont liek avenged but you can get their tone of anything with enough gain and that is dark
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join