Forming a Band- Vocalist Wants To Be In A Band But Could Not Find The Missing Pieces

I live in North Carolina

Okay, I am an aspiring vocalist, and have worked with two bands in my highschool years. Nothing went really serious. We just had some jamming sessions, and that's about it. Now that I moved to my college, I broke up with my band.

I am really hungry being in a band because it is my true passion. I am confident to say that I have the potential and experience to lead a rock band (I got the voice; I could sing in a wide range, vent, scream, compose, make melodies, write lyrics, write poetry, hype the stage...etc...,) ; the only problem is I can't find anyone here who is as motivated as I am.

Could someone please give me advice on how to start from scratch, form a band that will work out, and find musicians who would connect together...?

I am desperately asking so please with your metallic knowledge, tell me what to do!
Last edited by chaosheart at Aug 27, 2007,
well i started a few friends with close friends and then i met more ppl from them and i got a good knowledge of ppl who play music. then you meet up and have jam sessions. and if all goes well you could have a band
I had the same problem, just look for someone close (friend, family member, etc.) who plays an instrument, that's what I did, and I got an excellent drummer (I play lead guitar btw), then my friend asked a friend of his to play bass and another friend to play rythm guitar and they agreed.

Just be patient and keep looking, something will eventually come
Quote by Shad11
I had the same problem, just look for someone close (friend, family member, etc.) who plays an instrument, that's what I did, and I got an excellent drummer (I play lead guitar btw), then my friend asked a friend of his to play bass and another friend to play rythm guitar and they agreed.

Just be patient and keep looking, something will eventually come

i hope so. i wanna be a musician. i dont wanna work in an office lol
Rarely does any band really get serious in high school. I was on the same boat as you, I just jammed with people in high school but was still extremely motivated. As a recent college graduate, I can tell you that bands in college are VERY sketchy unless you are at a music school and even then it's hard.

I refer to bands at state and private "regular" universities as campus bands, because they usually just gig around the surrounding campus places, bars, etc and maybe do a summer tour if they are really serious. However I can tell you that in rural areas, campus bands are usually the busiest bands because they can draw crowds. Some college kids go to see campus bands not because they are good, but because they think it's cool to have friends who are in bands!

Back to your question: Forming a band from scratch may be hard at the college right now because school is just starting back up and everyone is probably concentrated on:

a) Not failing their classes already
b) Joining clubs/sports
c) Finding girls/partying
etc.

Start talking to other musicians around the college regardless of their level, interest, etc. Word gets around college campuses pretty easily. Then in September, you can start placing ads around on the kiosks around campus, the campus coffeeshop, music department billboard, etc. Keep the ad simple at first, and then get detailed. I don't know about your school, but when I transfered to state college a few years ago I was trying to form a serious party band. A friend in the music department with me seriously told me to not mention anything about auditions. The reason she said this was because at this particular university, students would not audition because they were scared of rejection! Anything wrong with this picture? Needless to say, these students don't graduate and start working for record labels, go on tour, work in a production studio, etc. They go to work at the local middle school teaching 6th graders!

You may also find it easier to join a band rather than start one from scratch. For this, I would look in the outside community if you have the transportation. Start placing ads anywhere you think musicians will see them in town, use Myspace, Craig's List, etc. One way I used to find musicians around campus was to go on Facebook and type in "guitar" as interest, and it would give me everyone who listed guitar (so I figured they could play it!)

In summary, start talking to as many different people as possible. Make friends with the bands in your college town and go to their shows regularly. Since it's early in the year and a club expo may be on your campus soon, I would also suggest joining the campus radio station if they have one. You'll meet a lot of people that way, be involved in events, be around music, etc. Another good form is the school paper. Make it known to people that you sing. If there is karaoke night or an "American Idol" competition, participate in those!

Let me know if you have any other questions.
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
thanks so much dutch apples, shad, and Nirvana man for your kind advice

Anyone care to give more advice please!
Dude, good singers are always in great demand, you shouldn't have any trouble if you advertise yourself well enough .. local mag's, myspace ect. Good luck man
Like Synth said a great singer is always needed somewhere. I'd ask around a lot, if you can play guitar or bass on top of that then you should have no trouble. Considering your age and the setting, people are always leaving or forming bands just keep your ears open.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
We'ere looking for a band, also in NC. We've been together for around a year, but now that you say you're in college, you might not want to be with a bunch of sophomores and juniors

What college do you go to? Put up fliers around town or your school for serious musicians. If people want to be in a band, they should contact you.

Its pretty obvious advice, its the best i could do
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build