Page 1 of 2
What's a good metal guitar that doesn't cost more than about 600-800$? I want good clean tone and distortion. I was thinking about a Jackson Kelly model.

And if it would be cheaper, should I just buy a low end guitar and replace the pickups, fretboard, etc?

I really don't got a lot of money (and I'm just a kid so yeah...no job there...) but my old gear (a starter Dean lol). I've been playing about 2 years and that thing has just turned to **** after all it's gone through.
www.dotonshaft.com

There are plenty of guitars that will fall into your price range. Quite a bargain considering how well these things are built.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Get a Jackson Kelly or Rhoads, the cheap versions and replace the pickups.
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Quote by Kendall
www.dotonshaft.com

There are plenty of guitars that will fall into your price range. Quite a bargain considering how well these things are built.

they just opened a shop in my hometown barrie, i bought the scooter v ****ing sick for the price (i got a deal $80!)
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
EMG 81s are amazin metal pickups, 85s are amazing neck pickups (good for clean)
Quote by nirvana4lf
EMG 81s are amazin metal pickups, 85s are amazing neck pickups (good for clean)

And about how much would those cost?
Quote by Kendall
www.dotonshaft.com

Some of these look awesome. Also if people saw you playing it'd look like you had your own custom.

But i can recommend the dean 79 ML. I own it and love it.
Private guitar lessons available in West London, UK with an experienced and qualified tutor. Most subjects/styles covered. PM me for more information.
Quote by g1asseye
Some of these look awesome. Also if people saw you playing it'd look like you had your own custom.

I get that a lot.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
what amp have you got?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
shecter c-1's are so sexy.... my friend just got a c-1 hellraiser and i kind of want to get a c-1 e/a. love that guitar...
Quote by Dave_Mc
what amp have you got?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Miasma909
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser: http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_schecter_hellraiser_c1_fr_electric_guitar?full_sku=513134%2e127

-EMG 81/85
-Original Floyd Rose
-Mahogany Body

i agree. im more of a classic rock type player, and i loved the schecter i once played.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

WMD warbeast.

Neckthrough, good pickups, Original floyd rose, amazingly good looking(IMO), nato wood(nice), ebony fretboard. pretty good.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
i don't see why you're thanking people. 90% of your tone (at least when you're talking about metal) comes from the amp, not the guitar. If the amp is metal enough, almost any solid bodied guitar with a bridge humbucker will be "metal".

Of course, you can do what you like, it appears like you're unwilling to answer my "what's your amp?" question. But if you think an $800 metal guitar will get you a metal tone with a $50 squier starter-kit practice amp, you're sorely mistaken...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i don't see why you're thanking people. 90% of your tone (at least when you're talking about metal) comes from the amp, not the guitar. If the amp is metal enough, almost any solid bodied guitar with a bridge humbucker will be "metal".

Of course, you can do what you like, it appears like you're unwilling to answer my "what's your amp?" question. But if you think an $800 metal guitar will get you a metal tone with a $50 squier starter-kit practice amp, you're sorely mistaken...

^ Amen. Dude, listen to Dave_MC.
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
he can't thank people for their input and suggestions?
Quote by AluminumOxide
Cobain killed himself before he learned to play guitar.

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
Quote by Dave_Mc

granted he asked a tone related question, but bear in mind that more money offers better hardware and better playability as well.

Also to note is that a lot of places have their own PA systems and amps, so the amp is not really of consideration unless he wants to wow himself with tone. He could just get an amp modeler for those places that don't have their own amps and only have a PA.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
As long as his guitar is playable the amp will do a lot more for his sound than the guitar will.

Also, the Scheter Hellraiser is made of mahogany, not metal. Please stop refering to guitars with ultra-high output pickups cut in awkward shapes as "metal".
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Quote by Dave_Mc

Well the only reason why I didn't answer that is because I seriously don't have one, I was messing around with my old one cuz I wanted to see what does what and all that and I ruined it...
Quote by Me2NiK
As long as his guitar is playable the amp will do a lot more for his sound than the guitar will.

Also, the Scheter Hellraiser is made of mahogany, not metal. Please stop refering to guitars with ultra-high output pickups cut in awkward shapes as "metal".

but then they're not good for anything but metal..
its like a T-style guitar with vintage pickups is not made of countries therefore you should not call it country.
Or how a les paul with high output humbuckers is not made of punks therefor you should not call it punk

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
But the guitar is not made of metal. It is made of mahogany. The guitar is just a guitar, it is designed to play music played on a guitar. That everyone chooses to play a specific genre on it is one thing, but there's absolutely nothing stopping me from picking up a Hellraiser or an Ibanez Badassinator 9000 X-model and playing April in Paris.
No one dared
Quote by Me2NiK
But the guitar is not made of metal. It is made of mahogany. The guitar is just a guitar, it is designed to play music played on a guitar. That everyone chooses to play a specific genre on it is one thing, but there's absolutely nothing stopping me from picking up a Hellraiser or an Ibanez Badassinator 9000 X-model and playing April in Paris.

True, but that whole thing of Metal/mahogany is just a bad argument.

The genre thing is a good argument though, but noones insinuating that these guitars are meant for the genre. They're just saying that these guitars are the best for playing this genre.

Cummon, john 5 totallly shreds on a tele.. and lord knows thats not exactly a hardcore guitar.

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
It's not an argument, it's a fact -- calling the guitar a "metal" guitar is a misnomer. The guitar is not made of metal. It is a mahogany guitar. It is an electric guitar. But it is not a "metal" guitar. It is more an issue of the flat-out dumb "metal" image, that somehow it takes a "metal" guitar to play metal (metal being a dumb, self-imposed term in itself; the subgenres of "metal" are vast and often share little in common with other subgenres), when the fact is, it's not a "metal" guitar, it's a slab of mahogany.
Best guitars for the genre? Considering many of these guitars are essentially lighter Les Pauls, I would say the Les Paul blows them all out of the water in their ability to play the various offshots of "metal".
No one dared
Quote by DagMX
Cummon, john 5 totallly shreds on a tele.. and lord knows thats not exactly a hardcore guitar.
Silly argument. He plays an ash guitar with a hot humbucker at the bridge. Tonally, it's closer to a Soloist than it is to your standard telecaster. Shape is largely irrelevant.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
To be honest, I wouldnt recommend buying a cheap guitar. People often think changing pickups will automatically make a guitar sound good, thats blatantly not true.
Quote by Tom_hatton
To be honest, I wouldnt recommend buying a cheap guitar. People often think changing pickups will automatically make a guitar sound good, thats blatantly not true.

People often think changing guitars will automatically make them sound good, that's blatantly not true.
No one dared
Quote by Rufiothebandito
he can't thank people for their input and suggestions?

sure he can, but he was rather conspicuously avoiding my questions (and i was proven correct, he doesn't even have a good amp)...

Quote by DagMX
granted he asked a tone related question, but bear in mind that more money offers better hardware and better playability as well.

Also to note is that a lot of places have their own PA systems and amps, so the amp is not really of consideration unless he wants to wow himself with tone. He could just get an amp modeler for those places that don't have their own amps and only have a PA.

i'm aware a more expensive guitar will (generally) be a nicer instrument. However, even a $300-$400 guitar, generally, with decent pickups, will sound amazing through a quality amp. The same cannot be said for a high-priced guitar through a really cheap amp, generally.

Quote by Me2NiK

exactly.

Quote by xXmasqueradeXx
Well the only reason why I didn't answer that is because I seriously don't have one, I was messing around with my old one cuz I wanted to see what does what and all that and I ruined it...

i'd seriously consider spending some of that money on a new amp then. If you want to blow most of the budget on the guitar, something like a roland cube 30 would be nice; that'd still leave most of your budget for a guitar.

if you want to spend more of the money on an amp, something like a second hand peavey 5150 might be worth a look, though that might not leave you very much for the guitar (and if you have a starter pack dean, your guitar probably could do with being upgraded too).

Quote by pifty
Silly argument. He plays an ash guitar with a hot humbucker at the bridge. Tonally, it's closer to a Soloist than it is to your standard telecaster. Shape is largely irrelevant.

agreed. does his guitar even have the traditional tele bridge?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd seriously consider spending some of that money on a new amp then. If you want to blow most of the budget on the guitar, something like a roland cube 30 would be nice; that'd still leave most of your budget for a guitar.

if you want to spend more of the money on an amp, something like a second hand peavey 5150 might be worth a look, though that might not leave you very much for the guitar (and if you have a starter pack dean, your guitar probably could do with being upgraded too).

The can you recommend a guitar and an amp that would leave me with just about half my budget for each? And that would sound good together.
Quote by xXmasqueradeXx
The can you recommend a guitar and an amp that would leave me with just about half my budget for each? And that would sound good together.

i'll try my best:

amp:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-30X-Amp-with-COSM?sku=487032

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-60-Guitar-Amp?sku=480197

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG50TC-50W-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481197

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516039 (switch out the bridge pickup eventually to a more modern-sounding pickup)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Godin-Detour-Electric-Guitar?sku=511870

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Godin-SD-Electric-Guitar?sku=511921

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-HH-Electric-Guitar?sku=516040

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Michael-Kelly-Patriot-Vintage-Electric-Guitar?sku=512297 (those michael kellys are meant to be nice, never tried one though)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-AES720-Single-Cutaway-Electric-Guitar?sku=519037

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Michael-Kelly-Valor-Flame-Electric-Guitar?sku=512291

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Washburn-WI64-Electric-Guitar?sku=514236

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-2005-SZ320-Electric-Guitar-?sku=519983

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hamer-Standard-Flametop-Electric-Guitar?sku=516261

bear in mind, it'd be worth checking sam ash for prices on those too, and on similar models- look into some of the yamaha pacificas too, and some of the other yamaha aes series guitars.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I usually play on my Ibanez RG Series. I replaced the pickups with 2 EMG-81 Humbuckers...it sounds really good.
Page 1 of 2