Hey guys, if I'm gonna' put some 10's on my Strat instead of the usual 9's, to thicken up the sound, so will I need to adjust the truss rod, or should I just leave it as is?
And would it be best to file the nut aswell, so the new strings fit comfortably?

"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Generally I find 10s fit well in Strat nuts, but if they need some persuason to fit in the slots then you might need to file the nut a tad.

I don't normally adjust my truss rod adjusting to 10s, but you may need a miniscule adjustment to make it the exact same as before, I never usually notice much difference though. I find you do when changing from 9s to 11s. My Strat neck is pretty solid though so it's all good for me

The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Cheers man, I'm gonna go to a DIY shop and get a file and some plyers (all tools are gone from my house lol)
Don't be afraid to care"

Good question....
Don't be afraid to care"

Well first you put a capo on the first fret and then finger the last fret (don't get carried away here lads ) and then look at the 6th/7th fret, depending on scale length. You should be able to fit a credit card between the fret and string at this fret. If you can fit more, there's too much bow, if you can't fit it in then you need a tad more relief.

I can't ever remember which way it is - I think it's turn it counterclockwise to loosen it and clockwise to tighten it. Methinks tightening it pulls it straight and loosening it allows for more bow. Don't hold me to that though - when I need an adjustment I just turn it to find which way is which.
If that's the case, I'm really tempted to get some 11's.... That way I'll get a thicker sound... Or you reckon I should work up from 10's, then go to 11s later?
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
If that's the case, I'm really tempted to get some 11's.... That way I'll get a thicker sound... Or you reckon I should work up from 10's, then go to 11s later?
Depends on how much finger strength you have and your callouses. I use 9s on my Strat but practice mainly on my 12-53 equipped acoustic (tuned to standard). If you don't have an acoustic/something highly strung (get it? bad joke sorry) then I'd try working up for a bit. But even then the strings will have a slightly different feel which you'll have to get used to as well as the different tensions. 11s are quite heavy but I prefer their feel over 10s.

They do have a better tone too.

Don't move your trussrod too much if you do any adjustment - do 1/8 turns each time and leave it to rest for a bit. You'll need to adjust the trem too.
I reckon I'll just get 10's then. I've got an 11 E string, so that it doesnt sound as thin as usual (my high E doesn't amplify aswell as the other strings when using the neck pickup)
Now I've gotta look at this truss rod screw and see what I need for it.

Adjust the tremelo too? Is that necessary for changing to 10s?
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
I reckon I'll just get 10's then. I've got an 11 E string, so that it doesnt sound as thin as usual (my high E doesn't amplify aswell as the other strings when using the neck pickup)
Now I've gotta look at this truss rod screw and see what I need for it.

Adjust the tremelo too? Is that necessary for changing to 10s?
You'll need to adjust it if you've got it floating. Are your pickups set to the heights specified in the Fender owner's manual? The treble side should be about 0.8mm higher than at the bass side.

If you got the guitar new then it should have come with the right allen keys to adjust action and the truss rod.
Right, so how would I go about adjusting the tremelo?
And the pickups are the right height, I think. It's wierd, the G sounds louder than the other strings, and the E quieter...

lol I think I've lost most of the allen keys...
Don't be afraid to care"

I'd adjust the saddle too, since the intonation might change. Usually a saddle adjustment is all that's needed when changing gauges. The truss rod should be done by a pro when the saddle adjustment isn't enough.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Right, the new strings are on, but the tremelo needs adjusting, as it will only move backwards now. How would I go about doing this?
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by R_H_C_P
Right, the new strings are on, but the tremelo needs adjusting, as it will only move backwards now. How would I go about doing this?

Only moves backwards? You mean it's been pulled really far forwards so it can only do pitch heightening? What strings did you go for? If you wanted it floating as it shoudl've been stock, you can either tighten the claw (the thing that holds the springs on the back, this involves screwing those screws in) or add more springs. I'd go for the claw, but make sure you don't snap strings when you tighten it. That is unless you went 11's. You'd almost certainly need more springs.
Hey, all is ok now, I tightened the screws which pulled the bridge back a bit, just thought it was common sense lol.
Cheers for you help anyway.
Don't be afraid to care"

Quote by Reincaster
I'd adjust the saddle too, since the intonation might change. Usually a saddle adjustment is all that's needed when changing gauges. The truss rod should be done by a pro when the saddle adjustment isn't enough.

Yeah, I adjust my TOM when I change guages. Action doesn't really change too much, since I don't go between more than 11-10's, depending on how I feel.

On more springs: I got away with 3 springs aligned like this: /|\
when I used 11's on my Strat. Worked fine for me.
Truss rod: lefty loosey righty tighty. I would advise a setup if you haven't done this before.