Im wiring a guitar and would just to know for peace of mind. Is there any chance the guitar could be dangerous if I wire it slightly wrong or make a little mistake? I dont want to get a shock! Cheers
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
if you have like a heart tempo thing in ur body, then it will kill you. but if you don't, it's nothing.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
but if i make sure i follow all instructions its safe yeh?
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

For the most part it wouldnt hurt you. Soldering would be the most dangerous part. but just dont touch the metal part and you'll be fine sport
Custom Telecaster
Alvarez RD20SSB
Jasmine S-35
*Epiphone FT-130

"Yeah, I'm real deep when I'm not busy masturbating or setting off fireworks." - John Mayer
Thanks man. I always had the feeling that wiring my own guitar would somehow electrify the strings or something and give me an almightly shock! Mmm i did burn my finger buts all good thus far! Cheers
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

lol. i've burned my feet, thigh, hand, thumb, elbow, everything except my face and my ****. i'm glad. lol

almighty solder power!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Thanks people. Well ive completed the wiring and pluged it in and everything seems ok (cant play yet as the neck needs fixing!). If I touch the earthed plate at the back of the guitar with a damp finger it makes a slight cracking noise, so it this normal? cheers again
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

sounds right. try poking the pick ups with something metal whilst plugged into an amp. should make a kind of popping noise
Ahh alls good then. I just realised that teh earth is connected to the volume pot etc and then the back. Doesnt this mean that strings are always electrified with whatever current that goes into the guitar? Im kinda curious about that one.
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

No, the earth is connected to the volume pot and the strings so when you touch them, your body is safely connected to earth. Your body acts like an antenna for hum. The hum could get into the pickups if you got near the coils. Earthing you makes this quieter.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
well touching the sottering iron is probably the worst thing that can happen to you. a one on full blast is an instant third degree burn i hear. i touched one that was warming up and i have a scar. but i dont think you'll get a shock as your guitar isnt plugged in.
The guitar doesn't make have enough amperage to harm you. Remember, amperage kills not voltage. It only need a small, minuscule amount. That's why you have an amplifier.
Thanks for clearing this all up guys, first time ive wired anything so always good to know everything about it!
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
No, the earth is connected to the volume pot and the strings so when you touch them, your body is safely connected to earth. Your body acts like an antenna for hum. The hum could get into the pickups if you got near the coils. Earthing you makes this quieter.

Thanks for clearing that up...I've always wondered how it wouldn't be safer to leave the strings isolated from the electronics. I hadn't though about the hum.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Well I pluged it in on high volume and o dear lord the feedback nearly obliterated my ear drums! So now to shield that pickguard! I jumped with the volume and in the panic actually took longer to turn it off!
My Gear :
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Red Furry guitar strap

Quote by Jimbo999
Well I pluged it in on high volume and o dear lord the feedback nearly obliterated my ear drums! So now to shield that pickguard! I jumped with the volume and in the panic actually took longer to turn it off!

The feedback is from the speakers vibrating the strings at a certain harmonic in an endless loop. That's why you dont stand too close when the volume is up. Shielding is only for detering RFI
But your on the right track! alot of people ive seen dont get it on there first couple tries. I'm one of those
Custom Telecaster
Alvarez RD20SSB
Jasmine S-35
*Epiphone FT-130

"Yeah, I'm real deep when I'm not busy masturbating or setting off fireworks." - John Mayer
Before you go through the hassle of sheilding the pickguard, try reversing the wires going to the output jack. It's a common problem, and an easy mistake to make.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I believe the guitar generates all of what can be found in the cable. The pickups generate an AC signal which the amp picks up, but the amp doesn't send the guitar anything via the cable.
Quote by ECistheBest
if you have like a heart tempo thing in ur body, then it will kill you.

a pacemaker perhaps?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
My brother had a guitar that would give you small electric shocks through the strings.
What would cause this?Bad earth?

The shocks did not hurt,but i was annoying.