Page 1 of 2
What brands would you carry? Keep in mind you probally wouldnt have millions of dollars to stock every brand, and you would probally not have the room. You would also need to carry Guitars and Amps that would a begginer would come in and want to use to start playing and some higher end stuff to satisfy the more seasoned.

Mods if this is the wrong forum please move...
Guitars:
Schecter
PRS
Gretsch
Eastwood
Samick/Greg Bennett

Amps:
Peavey
Orange
Laney
Roland

I'd be more inclined to stock more of what the large "corporates" don't carry. Of course, I would stock what I'd like to use as well, probably see my store as my own personal collection... that just happens to have price tags.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Guitars/Basses:
Fender
Epiphone
Parker
Ibanez (Artcore series + acoustics only)
Gretsch
Rickenbacker (basses only)

Amps:
Orange
VOX
Marshall (lower-end)
Fender
godin (electric and acoustic)

hughes & kettner
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
amps:
epiphone (they sound so great, love mine)
marshall (tube only)
fender (tube only)

guitars:
select martin
select taylor
select fender strats & teles
select gibsons

i guess my list is boring, but that is what I would do. I would most likely carry made in USA stuff more of the higher quality stuff, thus it would pertain to more advanced players
Gibson 58 VOS, Gibson Rich Robinson ES-335, Fender Strat, Fender RoadWorn 50's Tele, Gibson LP Jr Special

Marshall JTM45, Fender BJR NOS
Guitars:
ESP
Jackson
Ibanez
Schecter
BC Rich

Amps:
Randall
Marshall
Mesa/Boogie
Peavey
Laney
Line 6

...pretty much all the metal stuff.
Quote by Twist of fate
Thank god! For a sec I thought I lost my virginity to a stuffed animal christmas dog!

^ Do you know who that is? It's the guitar player from Fall Out Boy.
Guitars:
Gibson
Epi
Esp
Martin

Amps:
Peavy
Epi
Orange
Marshall

I know the guitars were a bit pricy but the epis would be the less expensive end.
I really dont like squiers and the only Fenders that I like are teles.
Im really pro Gibson/Epi
Guitars:
Fender
Gibson
Squier
Jackson
Ibanez
Schecter
Parker

Amps:
Vox
Orange
Epiphone
Marshall
Peavey
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
Guitars:
Jackson
Epiphone
Fender + Squier
Gretch
Takamine
Galicia
Alhambra

Amps:
Fender
Epiphone
Vox
Orange
Laney
ENGL
Roland

Effects / Accessories:
Boss
Dunlop

Strings:
Fender
GHS
Ernie Ball
Guitars/Basses:
Fender
Epiphone
Gibson
Ibanez
Danelectro (This really is a must)
Rickenbacker
Michael Kelly
Yamaha
Freshman

Amps:
Line 6 (spiders aren't the only line 6 amps, kids)
Marshall
Vox
Laney
Fender
Freshman
Roland

i think... i kinda have too many guitar brands to be realistic...
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
I'd start with

Guitars:
Jackson
ESP
Dean
B.C. Rich
Gibson

Amps:
Marshall
Peavey
Fender

Bass:
Ibanez
Jackson
ESP
Dean

Strings:
Fender Lights-Heavys
Regular Strings (all gauges)
Dean Markley Mediums-Heavys

Effects:
Boss
Digitech

.just to start out with.
Last edited by L_E_M_U_R at Aug 28, 2007,
Hmmmm...

Electric Guitars
Gibson
Epiphone
Danelectro
PRS
Indie
Vintage
Ernie Ball
Maverick

Guitar Amps
Carlsbro
Hughes & Kettner
Peavey
ENGL
Orange

Acoustic Guitar
Gremlin (since I love mine)
Farida
Martin
Taylor
Epiphone
Yamaha

Bass Guitars
Vintage
Dean
Epiphone
ESP
Ibanez
Musicman (+OLP)

Bass Amps
Hartke
Hughes and Kettner
Laney
Ashdown

I also think I'd stock Harley Benton as well because I don't know of any British retailers of them and they're not terrible given how cheap they are. Oh and there'd be at least a couple of left-handed models for each brand.

My store would be about the size of my local Westside Music, don't know what my budget would be! But obviously I'd only buy a limited number of the more expensive brands and then increase and expand as business increased.
Last edited by DevilMayCare at Aug 28, 2007,
i'd carry awesome brands that i like myself, and i'd probably go bankrupt within 3 days.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Brands:

Anything interesting. If we're talking small scale, then I'd try to get a few entry-level guitars, and make up most of the stock with decent mid-level guits. Maybe one or two high levels, but I don't really buy into the custom shop thing, and I don't think it'd really turn a huge profit, despite the money involved. If possible, I'd be happier making up most of the money on decent mid-level guits, entry level packages (negotiable) and service & repairs.

As far as Amps, I do have a huge hard on for Orange, but it's not for everyone. The most out-the-door amps would probably be smaller amps, but you need to have bigger amps as well, so probably as diverse a mix as possible.

As far as being an independent music store, you have to figure out that a lot of it is reputation. If you have a reputation for good service, good prices, and a decent range, you can work with that.

What I'd really want is to stock a lot of interesting instruments that you can't get everywhere, like Reverends, Danelectros, and Eastwoods. I think that would help leave a lasting impression on people.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
Guitars:
Fender
Epiphone
Squire
Alverez
Dean
Jackson

Amps:
Fender
Epiphone
Orange
Cube
Peavy

Effects:
Digitech
Boss
Dunlop
I'm not nearly ambitious enough to own a guitar shop - In fact, I'm not ambitious enough to answer this hypothetical question. My choices would probably be less dependant on my tastes than it would on my target demographic.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Last edited by Bazilisck311 at Aug 28, 2007,
Guitars:

Schecter
Ibanez
Jackson
ESP
Gibson
Fender

Amplifiers:

Crate
Fender
Peavey
Marshall
Mesa
B52
WTLTL 2011
Guitars:
ESP/LTD
Ibanez
Fender
Schecter

Amps:
Marshall
Vox
Fender
Peavey
Children of Bodom
In Flames
Pantera
Megadeth
Iron Maiden
Helloween
If I were to open a guitar store, I would obviously scope out the competition. Ideally, I'd like to be in a good, visible, location and not in close proximity to other bigger stores like Guitar Center or Sam Ash. And of course I would try to have a nice selection with competitive prices and good personnel.

With that said, here are some of the stuff I would try to sell:

Electric Guitars: Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, Epiphone, Jackson, Schecter
Acoustic Guitars: Martin, Taylor, Alvarez, Takamine, Washburn, Yamaha
Amplifiers: Marshall, Fender, Vox, Peavey, Line 6, Roland
Last edited by Negative Burn at Aug 28, 2007,
From a buisiness standpoint I'd try to carry at least two brands of all the major departments.

I would try and stay away from Gibson based on their dealer requirements and minimum buy-in. Though I would look at Korg (which includes Vox). I think Peavey and Yamaha would be smart moves as both would offer some guitars, Peavey would offer amps to compete with Vox and PA equipment, and Yamaha would offer competing PA equipment, drums, and keyboards to compete with the Korg's.

On account of the local market I think DDrum would be a good decision as most of their kits fit the more contemporary style that exists here without a terrible price point. I would also carry Dot On Shaft guitars as they're little known, inexpensive, and represent a "performance per dollar" level that's hard to come by nowadays. I would carry Mogami and Evidence cables, and also one boutique amp brand (as yet undecided, but probably Soldano because I love them so much).

These are only first thoughts. I'll have to think about this some more.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Went to a guitar store near san diego - hundreds of guitars (electric & acoustic) even an old 64 Strat with a $25,000 price tag. Out of all those guitars they had only ONE left handed guitar (acoustic) in the entire place. I had $$$ to buy if I found something I liked and let them know.

For my guitar store:
Pretty open on brands I would stock with the stipulation that they build lefties on a regular basis. No ultra cheep beaters or guitars that cost 6-8 months salary (with a 6 month waiting list) either. I would have new and used instruments.
I would NOT carry PRS (don't make lefties) or Gibson / Epiphone (mostly 'cause their attitude and customer service sucks). I would also carry a couple of lower end right handed models as well so righties can feel like I do every time I walk into a music store.

Amps:
Fender
Traynor
Ampeg
Vox
Mesa-Boogie
Soldano

The Poodle Bites,
The Poodle Chews It.
C'mon Frenchie!
Guitars:
ESP/ltd
Jackson
Ibanez
PRS
Gibson/epiphone
Dean

Amps:
Randall
Marshall
Mesa/Boogie
Peavey
Laney
Roland
Orange
Member of the Jackson RR24 Owners club!

Esp Eclipse II Snow white
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RGA-8
Jackson RR24 Black w/yellow bevels, Limited 1/75
Yamaha FG-400A
Guitars:
Ibanez
Epiphone
Takamine
Fender
Amps:
Mesa Boogie
Randall
Fender
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
I'd specifically carry gear upto about an RRP of £800 - the most expensive guitars I would sell being American Standard Fenders. I would also try to stock lowend G&L and Heritage guitars, and definitely some Gretsch - no Gibsons. For entry level stuff I'd focus on Vintage brand stuff - in my experience great guitars and better than Squier, and Yamahas. We'd be more of a Blues and Classic Rock shop.

Guitars:
Fender
G&L
Heritage
Vintage
Yamaha

As for amps, again focusing on upto £800 amps, mainly classic rock valve amps. Peavey's classic + Delta amps would be a great hit, Fenders are an obvious choice as are Vox. I would refuse to stock Marshall because of their blatant ripping off of new guitarists. I would DEFINITELY stock Orange. Also some of my own design amps. Definitely no Spiders or MGs. I'd push beginners towards Valvetronix amps.

As for FX, I would push my own brand of pedals predominantly but also some Danelectro ones which are better than they're made out to be, EHX for sure, Marshall pedals, Vox wahs and some MXR.

Amps/FX:
Fender
Peavey
Orange
Vox
MY Own Brand
Danelectro
MXR
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Guitars: Some good Ibanez models, PRS, Shcechter, Fender, Epiphone

Amps: Marshall, VOX, Peavey, Laney, ENGL
I'm a communist. Really.
My local guitar store carries only Fender/Squier and Gibson Epiphone for both amps and guitars, so they don't have a really big selection, but they do have great service and I always get awesome deals on stuff there.

My store would just carry what he doesn't.

Guitars:
ESP
Jackson
Schecter
Ibanez

Amps:
Marshall
Peavey
Randall
Line 6 (Yup, think of how many people buy them and later want a different amp )

That'd probably be fine for a small to mid size store.
guitars

fender
epiphone
scheter
martin
taylor
gibson
yamaha
ibanez
squier

amps:
roland
vox
orange
marshall
fender
laney

effects:
boss
mxr
electro harmonix
SELECT digitech pedals
and a couple of fulltone ocd's would be nice

strings:
fender
ghs
ernie ball
elixer
martin
Guitars:

Gibson
Fender
Schecter
Ibanez
Taylor
Martin

Amps:

Peavey
H&K
Marshall
Vox
Engl
Crate
Line 6

Effects:

Boss
Line 6
EHX
various quality boutiques
Quote by OtisB Driftwood
David Hassolhoff Is the god of death metal

Quote by Kantroce
What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My gear
Schecter Tempest Custom
Peavey VK112
Fulltone OCD
Line 6 Verbzilla
Line 6 DL-4
Xotic Effects AC Boost
Rocktron Tri-Wah
Guitars:

fender
ibanez
gibson