I'm looking for some advice on what I can do to fix some extreme amp hum. The problem is not the equipment, as I regular play my amp and guitar using the same exact instrument cables and pedals at a friends house and experience no abnormal hum. The only difference is the wall socket that I'm plugging into. When I plug into my wall at home and play, there is an abnormal screech that is emitted from the amp when I'm plugged in. It is certainly muted to an extent when I place my fingers on the strings or bridge, so it leads me to believe I have some sort of ground problem with the wiring in my house, but it doesn't completely go away when I'm grounding the strings. I've tried different amps, both tube and solid state, different guitars (an LP and an Ibanez), but whenever I'm plugged into my bedroom wall sockets, I get an extreme amount of screech, to the point where it definitely affects my playing and satisfaction of the music I'm playing. Is there any sort of electrical device I can buy or anyway to fix a problem like this in my home? Again, playing at a friend's house gives me no problems whatsoever, using the same set up!
Rewire the house. I am not trying to be funny. That problem sounds potentially dangerous. If it was just a low hum a power conditioner might be the answer, but that high screech is bad news (unless its just feedback from room size.) Don't play there till you find out.
I thought it might be feedback from room size. It's possible, but when I play at my friend's house, we play in a studio about 3/4 the size of my bedroom so that's even closer quarters, and like I said, no problems there. I think it's a wiring problem in the house. I will probably end up having to contact my landlord over it, but I didn't know if there was anything else I could do, different wiring or replacing wall sockets or anything simple I could do.

You say potentially dangerous, do you mean to my amp equipment or, like I could get electrocuted dangerous?
Quote by Aztek18
You say potentially dangerous, do you mean to my amp equipment or, like I could get electrocuted dangerous?

Both.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.