Alright, so, my teacher gave me this sweep shape to practice...plus im trying to learn vela by THA
but, the one my teacher gave me has me barring my 3rd (or second) finger across all three strings...here's the shape

E---12h17p12
B--14
G--14
D---14
A---12h16

im having trouble doing that cleanly...Any tips on how to do that well?

Thanks in advance as always
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Roll ur finger and do it SLOW
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
slow and using a metronome always helps.

At the very least just tap your foot to it.
Leader of The Cult of Echoes, for those who believe 23 min. of Pink Floyd Epicness just isn't enough.

Pm Alex the Red if you're interested

I'm a member I Pignose Amps Club. PM Woodenbanman if your interested.
the way i do sweeps like that doesn't involve me barring anything.

so...

what you do is hit the first 12 with the index finger, then the 16 with either of the last two fingers. then, what i would do is go through the 14's with my index, middle, and ring fingers... and then get the top two with my index and whichever other finger you want.
Quote by Twist of fate
Thank god! For a sec I thought I lost my virginity to a stuffed animal christmas dog!

^ Do you know who that is? It's the guitar player from Fall Out Boy.
Quote by soadquake981
the way i do sweeps like that doesn't involve me barring anything.

Do as mr. Laiho he does alot of barre sweeps when he have much hammer ons and pull offs in his sweeps
Quote by ealtdharkon
Sorry to break this to you, but you "hardcore" fans don't HAVE mosh pits.
You have epileptic line dancing.

Quote by NotTheSun3290
Well... I AM a virgin, afterall...
Like magvol said, use a "rolling" motion with your 3d finger, so that it only presses down on one string at a time, and mutes the other ones. This technique can also come in handy in other situations when you need to play notes on the same fret on adjacent strings.

And by the way... practice it slow at first
and use a metronome
Ha, I haven't gotten to learning parts of Vela yet, but that's the same pattern of the first sweep in the outro of Mea Culpa as well if I'm not mistaken. Man, I really hope they diversify a bit by their next album, they could be so much better than they already are...

Practice sweeps at 25% speed or less when you are learning a new pattern. Everybody says slow, but don't think that means just a tad bit behind the recording. Practice crazy slow, dead on precise, and work your way up to it. And yes, roll your finger. I use my middle in this one, but that's how I feel comfortable.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Yeah i know, do slow clean precise...and stuff
but thats the part im having trouble with, rolling my finger...i just can't seem to do it haha

^it is? really? huh
That's another one i wanted to learn ha
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
Try doing something just like

-14-------14
---14----14
-----14-

and strumming all three strings at once. Keep doing it until you are only sounding the notes you want to hear at the time.

And yeah, it's the exact same lick as in Mea Culpa. They have a nasty habit of doing that.
Quote by nightwind
You must never double the leading tone ever. Failure to comply will result in a fugue related death.
Sweet

Thanks everybody,
Ima gonna go practice now haha
My gear:
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus