well this is my first guitar project. im going to be buying the parts and assembling them, so its not a full build. heres a link to the pictures of the body. pretty huh?

anyways heres the game plan.

jackson dinky body with blue and black flame finish.
vintage 80s charvel neck.
dimarzio "the breed" neck pickup.
dimarzio "air norton" bridge pickup.
sperzel locking tuners.
floyd rose lo-pro tremolo system.
and im gonna wire it jimmy page style with twenty one tone options.

possible things i might do:
wire in a fuzz face, octavia, or a black ice style passive overdrive (all custom built of course)
dual outputs.
killswitches. (this would be the last thing i put in depending on the room i have left in the wiring cavity.)

not looking to bad huh?

i do have one question though. are warmoth necks ready to put right on the body as it is shipped? or do i need to do some work on it before its ready to play?

updated sep 2: i updated my post with some updates to the game plan. now i bought a vintage 80s charvel neck (pics page 2) and fixed a mistake with the floyd rose system i wanted. also added some ideas i might do about wiring.
jackson dinky build!

do you live in a country?

pics dude or a vid of you trying to say 'bananaramapancake'
so it comes out brabrabrabwabwa

^about when i came home from the dentist and my face was numb from novacaine.
Last edited by suminorudder at Sep 2, 2007,
nice to see something different being built on here for a change. thats a lovely body, did you put the OFR init on the pictures or isit a different trem?

are you repainting or keeping it blue ?
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
^There ain't no OFR on the body in the pictures. It's a Jackson LFR of sorts. But it's a mighty pretty body.

...someone should tell the guy that he has wound his strings the wrong way on the RG. Some day he'll do it to a guitar without a locking nut and tear the damn thing right off.
Btw, Beautiful ESP Mirage!
How much did that set you back?

actually thats not mine. that web page is the person i just bought the jackson body from. it is a beaut though.

are you repainting or keeping it blue ?
im keeping it. just to pretty to get rid of.

yeah and it is actually a jackson trem. im planning on buying a floyd rose speedloader, because it already has the route, posts, etc.
jackson dinky build!

Instead of that blue, consider sanding off the paint for a look like this:

Taken from erock's sig.
Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
you have an unread message....

.....just sayin

-OCD ftw

also the project looks cool, i think natural would look cool
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
that is a really nice finish. the thing that i would be skeptical of is im not sure which jackson body it is (if its a js1 or a budget model it wouldnt be to dissapointing though, i only paid 30$) so i would be worried about the wood quality not being to good for a clear coat.
jackson dinky build!

you could just sand the back and sides down and keep the top blue (Y).
bargain for $30 too. good luck
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
i could. i dont think i want to though. also im having second thoughts about a warmoth neck for one basic reason. im concerned about resale value. if i put an unbranded neck on it it might hurt the resale value. also im pretty low on buckage, if you know what i mean. thoughts?
jackson dinky build!

just get one from ebay, or just buy a cheaper no brand one and then its not much money lost.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
yeah thats what i was thinking. they have some really nice necks on ebay for pretty cheap. anyways i should be getting my body any day now so ill try to post pictures if i can.
jackson dinky build!

Also consider the very sexy coloring of this dinky:

Quote by Pikka Bird
Go pikka yourself!
well i just checked my tracking number, and the bodys at the post office! the only problem is its frikkin labor day weekend, so its closed until tuesday!!! im gonna be sitting here tearing off my eyebrows till i get there. but anyways. i think i will wait till i have my guitar in hand, then ill consider the finish a bit more.

now some more thought i had. has anyone ever tried putting 2 output jacks on a guitar? not a stereo but two seperate mono outputs? if that would work, just think of what could be done! i have two amps and what i could do is run each cable through a octave multiplexer and put one two octaves down and the other two octaves up! hello "owner of a lonely heart"!

also i was considering making a passive overdive built into my guitar. instead of replacing a tone what id do though is wire a new pot in. thoughts?
jackson dinky build!

i share your pain man, mines not here till monday or tuesday, depends.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
but hey, once it gets here ill be able to really start sizing up my options for wiring and all that good stuff. if i have enough room in the cavity i might even put in a fuzz face or something.
jackson dinky build!

Quote by suminorudder
well i just checked my tracking number, and the bodys at the post office! the only problem is its frikkin labor day weekend, so its closed until tuesday!!! im gonna be sitting here tearing off my eyebrows till i get there. but anyways. i think i will wait till i have my guitar in hand, then ill consider the finish a bit more.

now some more thought i had. has anyone ever tried putting 2 output jacks on a guitar? not a stereo but two seperate mono outputs? if that would work, just think of what could be done! i have two amps and what i could do is run each cable through a octave multiplexer and put one two octaves down and the other two octaves up! hello "owner of a lonely heart"!

also i was considering making a passive overdive built into my guitar. instead of replacing a tone what id do though is wire a new pot in. thoughts?

They have Y-splitters for that. Y-splitters later in your effect chain will allow both signals to have the same effect/s on each signal.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
yeah, but my thought was since id have it split right off it would let me sound as if i was two guitarists, plus i could add different effects. plus its cheaper to buy another output jack then buy a splitter.
jackson dinky build!

You could build a splitter pedal. Or you could just buy a Y cable.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
well i just bought my neck off ebay. a vintage 1980s charvel neck, with the floyd nut. hopefully this pic works.

really nice aged finish huh?
jackson dinky build!

Last edited by suminorudder at Sep 2, 2007,
YOUR MAKING A GRAVE MISTAKE!!!

floyd rose speedloaders don't use tuners at all (take a look at the discovery series guitars on musiciansfriend.com)

so your wasting like $75 on tuenrs that will be worthless.

besides, you have to use double ball-ended speed-loader strings (like on the steinberger guitars) so it will cost a LOT more for each set of strings.

If you must have a floyd, I would say get a regular one.

and even with that, standard sealed back tuners will be fine -- if your using a locking nut, it does the work the locking tuners normally would -- + you save money.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
i actually couldnt get to sleep last night and did some more research on them last night and found that id said the wrong thing in my post. what i wanted was a lo pro system. hopefully ill be able to find one in a good price range. thanks for pointing that out though. it would have sucked majorly if i hadnt realized my mistake before i bought it.
jackson dinky build!

nice neck.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
You could do a Kahler bridge instead of a FR.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
thanks. there was another neck i was watching with tuners and all, but i just loved the aged look of this neck, plus its a neck that im more familiar with, so i have a better idea of what it will play like.

i had thought of doing a kahler bridge,and thats what i would have done if i had got a warmoth neck. i really love the look of them.
jackson dinky build!

well i got the body in yesterday and it is gorgeous! and as it turns out the 30$ it cost was WELL worth it. turns out its a solid alder dk2! i sure struck a bargain out on that one.
jackson dinky build!

get assembling then.
sorry i cba reading through this, what pups and stuff are you putting init. just give some general spec please.
EPIPHONE LES PAUL
IBANEZ S SERIES CUSTOM
VOX AD30VT
i was basically gonna put in a dimarzio "the breed" (though now im considering a "multibucker" which i hadnt ever seen when i chose "the breed") in bridge and an air norton in the neck, then wire it jimmy page-ish with series/parrallel/split on each humbucker and a master series/parallel switch. one volume, one tone. i was also thinking about installing an octave effect like the green ringer on www.tonepad.com. and thats the basic rundown.

unfortunately it might take a little longer then i expected to finish it because im gonna be going on a trip i wasnt expecting to be on. it should slow me down by about a month or two. but it'll get done.
jackson dinky build!

alright well sorry for the wicked long lag in posting. i said id get it done, and im gettin it done. and to prove heres a pic.

that should do it. as you can see, no electronics yet. i figure ill get it playing right before i bother with that.

now heres a problem im having though. i set it up and tuned it but it is so low at the nut that it doesnt just buzz it actually frets at the first fret on the E string. the rest of the strings are completely unplayable because its so low. i loosened the truss rod relief and boosted the height on the bridge, and it stopped buzzing, but it was so high then that it was unplayable still. whats a good solution for this? the thoughts i had were either getting a new nut or shimming it, or making the neck pocket a little deeper. whats the thought on this? could there be something else i dont realize?
jackson dinky build!

Last edited by suminorudder at Nov 21, 2007,
A nut adjustment (shims) might do just fine, but it's difficult to tell for sure without checking it out... What's the clearance like if you fret a string at the 1st and 15th frets (between where the string is fretted, that is. Some like to do it higher up than the 15th. A capo would help)?

@*kas: Just noticed- you sigged me? What the...?
well basically there is no clearence. when i put the bridge up it cleared alright. but it was probably a 1/4 - 1/2 inch above the fretboard. so thats why i thought about chiseling or sanding out a tiny bit from the neck pocket to drop it down. i could probably work on it and try to check the clearence properly, but the nearest i could get to it would probably be saturday.

the other thing i wondered about was the floyd nut is a bit different then ones i normally see. most have a route in the back, but this one doesnt. instead it is fastened with screws on the front of the neck.
jackson dinky build!

You loosened the truss rod? Sounds like it needs tightening instead.. otherwise, you'll just need to use shims.
No, I mean, fret them at both those frets, at the same time and then check what the clearance down to the fretboard is between where you're fretting the string. This will give you an impression of the bow of the neck. A general rule is that the clearance from the bottom of the string to the top of the 7th fret should roughly be so that you can just slide a string of the lowest gauge in your current set in between the string and the fret.
okay so horrible resurrection here but i figured its better then starting a new thread.

so after having my guitar floating around in limbo ive finally got enough money to start up working again.

so i did pinpoint about how much the neck needs to go up by, but im wondering what i should use for a shim? i dont want it to be a cheap piece of wood that looks like some patchwork thing, so i was wondering where a good spot to get shim might be? cause its gonna need major shimming around 1/16 of an inch, so no playing cards.

also i couldnt find any real resource on gluing it. what would work? would the shim have o be finished so water doesnt mess it up?
jackson dinky build!

the pics of the 'body' in the first post are really pics of 2 guitars your selling on ebay...
um not me. plus like i said this thread is very old. check the date there fella......^

i think i got an idea though, im prolly gonna get a acoustic guitar bridge blan and make a shim out of that. should work alright i think.
jackson dinky build!