Ok I'm sure there are lots of threads on here about this but I'm a newb so bare with me. I just got into guitar about 2 weeks ago and Ive memorised A,C,D,E,G,Am,Dm,Em.
Im wanting to take lessons to learn music theory and all that junk so eventually I can make my own music and just understand how it all works. What im asking is what I should try and learn untill I take lessons? Ive kind of gotten the hang of power chords and I can fully read tabs. I dont just want to play songs so Im just wondering what I should learn. And if it matters its an electric guitar and I want to play punk and rock.
If you've memorized those chords, and can do power chords pretty well, the next step would be scales. If you want to play punk, keep practicing the power chords, but scales will allow you to write songs with chords in the same scale. Good luck.
k I looked at scales for beginers and it just doesnt make sense to me. I find they just show you what it is visualy they dont explain it. Will lessons help me with this because right now im really confused.
To understand a scale you'll have to know theory, they all relate to the major scale etc. Theres a lesson on the site called Beginner guide to music theory' or something, check that out its a great resource!

EDIT: And theres nothing wrong with learning the scales visually to start with, theyll still sound the same, I suggest the minor pentatonic scale and the major scale to start with.
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

barre chords
nd chord constructions (how chords are made up) for basic theory... but for that you would need to know the major scale.. uhh i might confuse you but just keep reading on stuff. i'm on to about 5 months of playing and i just keep reading on guitar lessons and everything starts making sense slowly.

but yeah i suggest you learn barre chords and major scale.
Yeah. As long as you know a good amount of chords and the major scales....theory shouldn't be that hard to understand.
Ok i kinda have an idea what the major scale is but how does this all tie into guitar and making songs? Not one thing has told me.
Scales are used to construct chords that you can use in songs.....among other things.
Quote by Knapton
so to make a song everything has to be in the same scale?

not neccessarily. but to make a song sound good the song has to be in the key of that scale.
like if you were to make a song with chords, in the key of say C major (notes are C, D, E, F, G, A, B). if you know basic chord construction the I, III, and V of the c major scale make a C Major chord. and you can combine any other notes. the 1st note always determines what chord its going to be. like D, F, A make up Dm. you can combine any note in the c major scale to make a chord and all those chords will be in the key of C. mm i'm not really good at explaining this stuff lol. try posting in musician talk.
its confusing at first but it'll make sense in no time.