So i got some money and decided to waste it on guitar equipment. original, i know actually i think my guitar (ibanez rg 1570) could use new pickups. it has H-S-H configuration. i was thinkin of something higher output in the bridge, that would do crunch and high gain, like from guns to pantera, cause i do most distorted rithm and lead work on bridge, i wont need this for cleans (but bear in mind that i will use it to achieve breakup on clean chanel), then for middle i was thinkin of something that would do cleans and some lightly overdriven stuff (hendrix at most...) and for neck, i want something warm and not so high output, cause i will use it for bluesy type of overdrive, cleans, perhaps some rythm crunch.

next is my amp. i have a peavey classic 30 and i'm very happy with it but i think it could use change of speakerswhat would be good speaker that would do everything from cleans (amazing cleans this amp have i must say to metal, especialy it should tighten bass response and mudyness at high gain.

I'd really appreciate your input
Kewl that you decided to do this
Quote by jonathan92
schecter damien 7 is one monster of a guitar.

[Proud owner of a Schecter Damien 7]
check out some swineheads,or you can always go with trusty ole dimarzios, or seymores.Oh yeah check out the bareknuckles theyre really pricy but worth it!
where are you? (affects prices and recommendations...)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i'm from good ol' god forgoten country called slovenia somewhere in middle europe
cool, seljer is from there too. Never been, but it looks like a nice place to go, nice lush scenery!

i'd probably go with swinesheads or irongears. I haven't tried irongear, but they're extremely good value, and i hear good things (EDIT: also, there's a UG 15% off code, if you do a search on "irongear pickups", their owner posts here occasionally). Swinesheads are very nice, handwound, great tone. Warthog (bridge), spotlight (middle) and condor (neck) set would be great, but you might as well email in case they have better recommendations.

If you really want to push the boat out, you could maybe consider bareknuckles or bulldogs (with any of those, email for their recommendations for the tones you want).

Speaker, possibly a vintage 30? i know it's the "usual suspect" around here, but it sounds like it might be good for what you want. Maybe a g12h30 for a warmer more vintage tone, but still not out-and-out vintage to the detriment of everything else. Eminence are doubtless worth a look too (governor is their version of a v30, wizard their g12h30, i believe), though i haven't tried those specific ones.

you might have some companies located in slovenia (or elsewhere in europe) which may be worth a look too, though i'm not familiar with them...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
as for pickups, i never heard of any of those companies, so, i guess i have some research to do i was expecting to hear some SD or domarzio sugestions... and i dont know bout any pickup company around here... well, it's a small country, and i'm a noob
and i'll check speakers. but what company are the vintage 30? yeah, i'm a noob... flame me i still have to learn
sorry, v30's are celestion.

EDIT: i generally don't recommend dimarzio or duncans in europe, because they're rubbish value, basically. thomann have alright prices on some of the more common duncans, but still not great... if you're in the USA, that's a different matter.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
thanks Dave_Mc
so i'll check ones you reccomended. could you perhaps suggest some models of those if you dont mind? you seem like a really knowledgeable guy

and what is the difference betwen celestions and eminence if they make same models? quality? price tag?
Talk to CorduroyEW, go to www.rockmonkeyguitars.com and tell him what you want from each pickup - he'll hand-wind them to your taste. Worst case scenario he could give you some specifics on what to look for ( output-wise, what magnet etc ). 10% discount to UG members.

And yeah, Dave knows his stuff too
^ forgot about cordy, sorry about that! check into him too, i hear his single coils are sweet!

i can't really make any specific recommendations, other than the swinesheads, as i haven't tried most of those pickups.

I haven't tried those eminences, but they should sound different to the celestions, it's their version of one, not a clone.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_Mc and Sir Edwin CBE,thanx for all suggestions, i owe you big one so, i've checked the names you reccomended - and to be fair, those irongears are very intruiging they have some good reviews, and are cheap bulldogs and bareknuckles are too much for me at the moment, and swinesheads and rockmonkeyguitars stuff are still in my price range. but are they worth almost double the price? i've listened to some clips and i cant really say one of them is better... i don't feel i could trust sound clips... like i didn't like single coil by irongear as much as other two, but how can i say it's not just amp and eq-ing? can someone who have some experience tells me some opinions on them? and speakers are same story - eminence is half cheaper... i'm such a cheap bastard, i know will it punish me? cause with saved money, i could buy an eq and i could start thinking about new tubes... oh dillema...
I've never tried Eminence speakers in a guitar amp before, but I know a lot that swear by them. I have tried them in bass amps before, and they're great, probably the best sounding bass speakers I've ever heard, but that's a different instrument.

The Celestion Vintage 30s are great, I'd recommend them to anyone and any playing style. The G12s have more bottom end than the 30s, and even though my cab has the G12-75s, I'd rather have one with V30s as they sound more deffined to my ears.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those speakers, but if you can, look around and see if you can try some cabs out with those in it and maybe bring your Peavey with you to plug it into it. Granted, it won't sound the exact same when it's in your combo, but it will give you a very good idea of what it will sound like.

Hope I helped!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Cobe
Dave_Mc and Sir Edwin CBE,thanx for all suggestions, i owe you big one so, i've checked the names you reccomended - and to be fair, those irongears are very intruiging they have some good reviews, and are cheap bulldogs and bareknuckles are too much for me at the moment, and swinesheads and rockmonkeyguitars stuff are still in my price range. but are they worth almost double the price? i've listened to some clips and i cant really say one of them is better... i don't feel i could trust sound clips... like i didn't like single coil by irongear as much as other two, but how can i say it's not just amp and eq-ing? can someone who have some experience tells me some opinions on them? and speakers are same story - eminence is half cheaper... i'm such a cheap bastard, i know will it punish me? cause with saved money, i could buy an eq and i could start thinking about new tubes... oh dillema...

yep, that's the problem, you've hit the nail on the head- you're hearing the recording technique, not the pickup, a lot of the time.
I really can't help, because out of those three (swineshead, irongear and rockmonkey) i've only tried the swinesheads, unfortunately.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
MatrixClaw - ok then, i'll do so but what does it mean if speaker have 75 w rms? my amp has 30w, will it go together?

Dave_MC - yeah, youre right... well, i'll ask around a little, send some emails, but in the end i guess i'll have to bite the apple and risk some worms... but thanx anyway, you really are one helpful chap
^

the wattage of a speaker basically means how many watts you can put through it before the speaker fails (also bear in mind valve amps can put out more watts than their rating when pushed hard, though most guitar speakers are conservatively rated to reflect that).

For example:

30 watt amp -> 60 watt speaker = fine.

30 watt amp -> 30 watt speaker = most likely fine.

30 watt amp -> 20 watt speaker = asking for trouble.

Also, more than one speaker combines the wattages e.g. a 2x12 cab (assuming the speakers are wired in mono, not stereo) with 2 30 watt speakers could cope with a 60 watt amp, etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?