i was wondering the differences between set and bolted necks...i dont really like set because they dont seem as practical as bolted necks but hey maybe im entirely wrong..
facts please?
bolt-on necks are very easy to replace, but have less sustain.
set-in necks are a pain in the ass for replacing but has better sustain.
most of the times set necks are easier for playing the high notes also...
theres one MAJOR differnces. bolt necks, are well, bolted on, and set ins, are well, not.

also there is significant more sustain on a set in.
On a well made guitar with a good guitarist and a good amplifier etc, a bolt on neck will have all the sustain you'll need. They are more practical too in case of breaks and the ilk.

Set in's do have more sustain though granted. But to me the nicest thing about them is when there's a seamless heel joint on them :3
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
id much rather have a bolt on neck. i barely notice the sustain difference. neck-through its pretty noticable, but not so much with set neck, its basically a bolt on thats glued, and is a few inches longer.
sustain blah blah blah...
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
my old sg had a set-in neck and it played absolutely brilliantly but im not picky, any neck will do fine
MIM-v-MIA:
Quote by OneRust
The mexican one is made by mexicans in mexico, the american one is made by mexicans in california

Fender Stratocaster
Crafter D-8 Acoustic
ProTek 80w PA System
Marshall TSL602 Combo
Fender Mini Tweed Twin-Amp
Boss DS-2
Boss CH-1
Quote by The red Strat.
bolt-on necks are very easy to replace, but have less sustain.
set-in necks are a pain in the ass for replacing but has better sustain.
most of the times set necks are easier for playing the high notes also...

I find bolt-ons easier to reach high frets on, compare an LP to any Ibanez.

but I believe neck-throughs are where its at.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
so if im buying the floyd rose les paul they came out with fairly recently do you suggest is not buy it because of the set neck, because i am a bolt fan and i love my fender strat with a bolted on neck

link is here
no we just suggest you dont drop it, and to get strap locks for it
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
all of my guitars are bolt on and i don't see why i'd ever need to hold a note for longer than 10 seconds, which all of my guitars can do anyway, even the cheap plywood strat copy i have.

so imo the only worthwhile benefit is the easier upper fret access
A good tight high quality bolt-on neck will sustain as much as most set necks. As far a which has the superior upper-fret access it depends on the design. Bolt-ons kind of get a bad rap as far as sustain goes because the cheapest guitars tend to have them, and a bad bolt-on doesn't sustain well. I like both (as you can see.) It's more a preference thing, although some set-necks like the Les Pauls (please forgive me LP owners, I love the sound and looks of them) have a great big block tenon in the way. This said, if you adapt your style (think Gary Moore) even this is not an issue.
Quote by uldhppi
A good tight high quality bolt-on neck will sustain as much as most set necks. As far a which has the superior upper-fret access it depends on the design. Bolt-ons kind of get a bad rap as far as sustain goes because the cheapest guitars tend to have them, and a bad bolt-on doesn't sustain well. I like both (as you can see.) It's more a preference thing, although some set-necks like the Les Pauls (please forgive me LP owners, I love the sound and looks of them) have a great big block tenon in the way. This said, if you adapt your style (think Gary Moore) even this is not an issue.

Yup...the only difference between bolt neck and set neck these days comes down to the quality of the work put into them. A set neck guitar don't poorly will sound horrible. A bolt neck done properly will sound great and have all the sustain you need. Acoustically, my strat has a great deal of sustain. Compared to a few of the Les Pauls I've had cross my way, they are about equal.
I have 2 neck thrus, 2 set necks, and a bolt on guitar. I can pretty much say the difference in sustain is negligable if the guitar is built and set up well.\

But personally, I prefer a mahogany neckthru guitar. Not really a fan of maple neckthrus, as they sound a lil more on the twangy side with the pickups mounted on the maple.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
accessability.
my bolt ons are 24 fretters and it sucks to play the 20th fret and beyond.
my set is a 22 fretter and playing all 22 is great.
Bolts i think its harder to play the higher frets, thats all.

Les Paul is a genius. the Sg is one hell of an awesome guitar
Quote by ICEMANN999
set neck=more sustain , Bolted=easy replacement

not entirely true. My Ibanez Jet King II has better sustain than most set necks, and its a bolt on. Usually though set neck does give more sustain, but a tight enough bolt on will be just as good.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by henza_x
accessability.
my bolt ons are 24 fretters and it sucks to play the 20th fret and beyond.
my set is a 22 fretter and playing all 22 is great.
Bolts i think its harder to play the higher frets, thats all.

Les Paul is a genius. the Sg is one hell of an awesome guitar

FYI...Les Paul didn't design the SG. He was actually quite pissed Gibson put his name on it. He didn't like the neck joint and didn't want his name on something that could break easily.
there's a difference in tone too. There's a snap and immediacy to notes with a bolt-on neck which is sweet. then again set-necks can sound pretty good too. As can neck-thrus. As usual, it just depends on what you're after. I wouldn't say any is better, though granted a neck-thru will be the most expensive.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TwoString
FYI...Les Paul didn't design the SG. He was actually quite pissed Gibson put his name on it. He didn't like the neck joint and didn't want his name on something that could break easily.

he didn't like the thin, small body, or the sharp looking cutaways on it either.

honestly tough, weak as it may look, that neck joint on a SG is actually pretty tough.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Quote by Blompcube
he didn't like the thin, small body, or the sharp looking cutaways on it either.

honestly tough, weak as it may look, that neck joint on a SG is actually pretty tough.

Just quoting what he said. I've had hit and miss situations with various SGs. The neck joint on my '65 EB-0 bass is rock-solid though.
People get confused between set and thru necks, thru necks deffinatly have more sustian than a bolt on on most guitars. But with a bolt on and a set neck its usually about the same sustain-wise.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Set neck/ bolt neck is pure preference. I have both kinds and a one piece. Leo fender has sold a lot of bolt neck guitars. The LPs play much different because of the action length, but if it aint set right or ever need a replacement your pretty much out of luck. A fender you can always put a shim in and necks are everywhere. Many of the bolt necks are pretty thick where they bolt in and so can be a bit much to get your hands around. But then again the neck joint on a LP is pretty thick to. As for sustain most people would never notice the difference. How long do you usually hold one note for. And hendrix did a pretty good job and he had to reach around the hard way to play high up.