So I see at some of these live shows, specifically Slayer's, for Raining Blood, they put on the raining blood which is pretty badass. But I'm wondering, doesn't that damage their guitars at all? Don't guitars get damages at all from the water/liquid?

Same thing for November Rain, they put on the rain, does water hurt guitars?
I was wondering something similar when I was watching the super bowl halftime show... how did Prince's guitars not get knocked way out of tune? or is that why he switched between every song?
If it's in small amounts, I'm sure the guitar will be fine. If you hold it underwater and soak the thing, it's not gonna work anymore.
i was wondering the same thing because as i lay dying did the music video for confined in the rain...
i don't think it does, unless part of the guitar isn't sealed or something, but don't take my word for it.
Quote by mr.cheese..
Now I've got it! Masturbate in the mud while smoking weed!

Quote by darkstar2466
Meaning is not absolute.
over time it will. i dont know how much damage exactly, but there will be damage depending on the amount of water
Quote by metalhead987
i was wondering the same thing because as i lay dying did the music video for confined in the rain...

Same with bullet for my valentine's "tears dont fall"

But they wont have the guitars plugged in during the shoot, so no chances of getting electricuted. As for the guitars, i think maybe the record labels fork out money for guitars to get wrecked on the video shoot, i guess theyve got that kinda money.
Well, one time I was walking home from my friend's house after we finished jamming. And I didn't have a case for my Epi Les Paul and half way through my walk it started pouring outside. So I walked at least 10-15 minutes with my electric guitar exposed to the pouring rain. I just waited for it to dry up, and when I plugged it back into the amp it sounded the exact same as before.
GEAR:
Vantage Ghost Gibson "The Paul" copy
Fender FM-100H half-stack
Regal vintage 30W class A amp head (handcrafted in Montreal)
Quote by metalhead987

well i dont think they actually play in music videos, so it doesn't change the sound of the song, but maybe you were talking about long term... anyway all those artists have enough money to scrap a few guitars for shows/videos

edit: guy before me gave a better answer =P
I think it depends on the guitar, but I wouldn't know which guitars can do it or not.

I do know this, on some Metallica DVD, not sure which one, although I think its Cunning Stunts, Jason says one of the reasons he switched from Alemibcs to Sadowskys was because after every show when he took out the cable out of his bass, sweat would literally pour out of it. Sadowsky bass's are sealed so he doesnt have that problem

But if that doesnt kill an instrument, plain water shouldnt right?
Ive noticed this with alot of metal bands headbanging on stage with wet hair. Robb Flynn from Machine Head does it alot, and hes still using the same Baritone V he was years ago(at least i think he is). Id say its where you get the water, if your just headbanging and specks of sweat/water are flying onto your guitar im sure it wont cause too much concern.

Playing in pouring rain however, would cause some damage to the electronics.
I was expecting this to be something like the guy who dropped his Guitar in a puddle, then washed it in a bucket for 10 minutes and complained about it not working...

Pretty much as long as you don't do ^that^, you'll be okay with getting your Guitar a li'l wet. Remember kids, no Guitars in the swimming pool.
Quote by Jesus Himself Christ
You know, you're one pretty cool guy, Kylster.

Please click this and critique some little ditties I done madeified myselfins!
they probably have the back, (where the electronics are) sealed up and have it sealed around the pickups with wax or something, so that wayy they just have to worry about the wood warping....but they're all rich so they have like a billion guitars and dont care..
*cough, buy me a Damien 6, cough cough*

please?
UG's HIPPIE
i know this is going to sound kinda retarded but i would love to somehow make a guitar "water proof" or something and get in a scooba suit and get in a giant fish tank during a live show.

its always been my dream
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Last edited by bjovi400 at Aug 28, 2007,
I wondered how they gripped the wet strings. I'm surprised they don't lose grip while bending.
Gear:
Jackson Pro Series DK2 Dinky (Eerie Dess Swirl)
Ibanez XPT700 Xiphos (Chameleon Red) =D

Crate FXT65 amp with 3-way foot switch
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
Kinda off topic but anyone remember the music video where Mark Tremonti was like rocking out in a flood? I cant remember if it was w/ Creed or AB but the whole wet guitar reminded me off it.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
I was wondering something similar when I was watching the super bowl halftime show... how did Prince's guitars not get knocked way out of tune? or is that why he switched between every song?

How can moisture make a guitar become out of tune? I think it would mess with the electronics and possible shock
When I was reading a bunch of interviews in the Guitar Legends: AC/DC Angus talks about how he needs to get rid of his guitars because they get water logged from him sweating so much, so yes water can wreck your guitars but only in a lot of water.
My Rig:
Ibanez RVX 220DX
Vox Valvetronix 30watt
My bass has been thoroughly soaked by the wonderful British climate several times over and still worked after a short drying out period, but I can't imagine prolonged exposure to moisture will do an instrument any good. They probably use less valuble (from a rockstar point of view) production run instruments for the songs that involve such effects. I wouldn't like to use a pre-CBS USA Strat or limited edition guitar for anything like that.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Well, when I polish and clean my guitars I usually spray the cleaner/polish onto a cloth. Sometimes I spray directly onto the guitar, doesn't do any harm at all
The guys from Slayer can afford a new guitar whenever they want.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
The electronics would be fine once they dried if they got soaked. Any electronic thing will work fine if it's turned off and gets wet - throw your computer in the tub, wait a week, turn it back on and it'll be fine. It's the actual body you'd have to worry about
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya

yea it was raining the whole show

If wood gets wet it expands...unless its sealed all where the wood is exposed but thats hard to do on a guitar...............