i kind of figured out two kinds of guitarists... my only observation...
the riffers and the shredders,

the riffers are, of course riff masters, playing broken chords and such... usually played in modern kind of music. a friend of mine who is a Bullet for Valentine addict is one.

the shredders, duh, shred the guitar... like most of your idols. they play fast notes like nobody's business... i for one, not completely a shredder but going in that path. playing lots of metal stuff, and also lots of clean/dirty blues!

anyway, this is my premature observation.
there are oher types of guitarist that you may suggest, please post them.
for reference purposes, i guess.

oh, btw, there are also those who are called 'air guitarists' and the holy "noobs" that we once were...
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

Rythym guitarists.

I play all sorts of power chords and other chords rythyms in songs, sometimes quickly.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
I think you mean rhytm and lead
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Its not exactly easy pigion holeing the differant guitarists.
You may have a 10 x 10 stack of marshalls and i may only have one, but mine goes to 11.... Beat that
I'd say people such as David Gilmour doesn't necessarily fall into either category. And people like Mark Knopfler (and a bunch of others, of course) is both.

...then there are drone and noise guitarists.
i kind of figured out that riffers play stuff that generally have less or no solos at all!
the only almost-non-soloing metal band ive heard might be sepultura.

rhythm guitarists? like cobain? who do nothing but powerchords? [not tatally an insult]

PLEASE define jam guitarists...
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

Quote by km-r
i kind of figured out that riffers play stuff that generally have less or no solos at all!
the only almost-non-soloing metal band ive heard might be sepultura.

rhythm guitarists? like cobain? who do nothing but powerchords? [not tatally an insult]

PLEASE define jam guitarists...

Jam guitarists...hmm...

People who do alot of improv maybe?
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
Noobish thread. You could go by genre, but even then it's lame to categorize guitarists.
Tiger style.
Quote by fifer
I think you mean rhytm and lead

yeah, sounds like

Person1:"man, i've just invented a way to see trough the walls"

Person2:"what's it's name?"

Person1:"window"

Person2" "